Jadeveon Clowney Deal could be in the works (3 Viewers)

cant

Rookie
Reaction score
Markus Golden can be had for about $9-10 million less on a one-year deal and is younger than Clowney. He had 10 sacks, 13 TFL and 70+ tackles last year while Clowney had three sacks, seven TFLs and about 30 tackles. Golden has played 3-4 outside linebacker most of his career, but he's 6'3" and 260 pounds, so he should be able to play DE. Clowney may be the bigger name, but you could argue that Golden has been a more effective pass rusher (27 QB hits last season) and is a better value.
Those are impressive numbers. Why has the market been so dry on a player that preformed that well?

SaintStephen1

Veteran
Reaction score
With drew off the books next year, Saints can give Clowney an affordable one year deal with a handshake deal for long term high paying contract starting in 2021.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Trade with this organization typically happens lightning-fast and sometimes without warning. The more it "drags out" the less likely it will happen.

---
Sometimes. But then you had the Jared Cook signing which took forever.

ANKOMA33

All-Pro
Reaction score
Markus Golden can be had for about $9-10 million less on a one-year deal and is younger than Clowney. He had 10 sacks, 13 TFL and 70+ tackles last year while Clowney had three sacks, seven TFLs and about 30 tackles. Golden has played 3-4 outside linebacker most of his career, but he's 6'3" and 260 pounds, so he should be able to play DE. Clowney may be the bigger name, but you could argue that Golden has been a more effective pass rusher (27 QB hits last season) and is a better value.
Being out here on the west coast, I saw my share of MG while he was with the Cards. With his hands in the dirt or as a stand up DE, he has been very effective and a highly under rated run defender. Set the edge well.

Didn't realize he had 10 sacks with the Giants though. That's a testament to his overall skill level. IMO he was one of the few bright spots on defense for NY last year.

I'd be elated if the Saints brought him in.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i believe the Giants put a UFA tender on Golden, so if he signs with us it will cost us a comp pick (then again, we don't really need those right now).
If I read this correctly, he has until July 22 to sign with another team. However, if he does, the Giants get a comp pick (and I assume that means he counts against the team signing him relative to the comp pick calculation). If that is the case, it likely would cost the Saints a 6th to sign him plus the salary he is looking for. Somewhat of a deterent.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
Clowney feels like a real long-shot.

I wouldn’t be opposed to adding another quality DE though... a guy that could step in and be starter quality with upside should anything happen to Davenport... again.

St. William

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
How close are we to Clowney homophones or haikus?

I sat here for 5 minutes and cant come up with a homophone for Clowney... its the equivalent of trying to find something that rhymes with orange. Its basically impossible.

My motivation
For Clowney haiku is low
I'll get drunk instead

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
I don’t put anything past the Saints. It sounds like it would be a no way possible move.

But I didn’t think we would get Jameis Winston for next to nothing. The guy did throw for 5,000+ yards and 30 TDs which doesn’t happen all that often in the NFL. In a league were QB is so important I would of thought someone would of given him a more lucrative deal for a chance to be the starter. I know he had 30 INTs, but Carson Palmer threw for close as many in his first year under Bruce Arians.

Clowney’s already made like 50+ million in his career. He’s probably made some other local Houston endorsements & probably some national endorsement deals early in his career. He’s only 27, so if he has a good year with a contender he should get a nice huge contract when we don’t have COVID ruining his chances of that this offseason. He’s not getting a long term deal, so he ought to pick the team that gives him the best chance at winning a ring. Kind of like what Demarcus Cousins did the last 2 years in the NBA.

I didn’t think we had anywhere near a shot at him all offseason, but now that he’s still available who really knows?? You never know he may pull a Jameis and take way less to play for a great organization that has a legit chance at winning the super bowl. Then off of that huge momentum get a huge contract for 4 to 5 years till he’s like 33.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom