Jadeveon Clowney Deal could be in the works (2 Viewers)

Markus Golden can be had for about $9-10 million less on a one-year deal and is younger than Clowney. He had 10 sacks, 13 TFL and 70+ tackles last year while Clowney had three sacks, seven TFLs and about 30 tackles. Golden has played 3-4 outside linebacker most of his career, but he's 6'3" and 260 pounds, so he should be able to play DE. Clowney may be the bigger name, but you could argue that Golden has been a more effective pass rusher (27 QB hits last season) and is a better value.
Those are impressive numbers. Why has the market been so dry on a player that preformed that well?

With drew off the books next year, Saints can give Clowney an affordable one year deal with a handshake deal for long term high paying contract starting in 2021.

Just say 'NO'.

overrated due to draft position.

Trade with this organization typically happens lightning-fast and sometimes without warning. The more it "drags out" the less likely it will happen.

---

Sometimes. But then you had the Jared Cook signing which took forever.

Markus Golden can be had for about $9-10 million less on a one-year deal and is younger than Clowney. He had 10 sacks, 13 TFL and 70+ tackles last year while Clowney had three sacks, seven TFLs and about 30 tackles. Golden has played 3-4 outside linebacker most of his career, but he's 6'3" and 260 pounds, so he should be able to play DE. Clowney may be the bigger name, but you could argue that Golden has been a more effective pass rusher (27 QB hits last season) and is a better value.

Being out here on the west coast, I saw my share of MG while he was with the Cards. With his hands in the dirt or as a stand up DE, he has been very effective and a highly under rated run defender. Set the edge well.

Didn't realize he had 10 sacks with the Giants though. That's a testament to his overall skill level. IMO he was one of the few bright spots on defense for NY last year.

I'd be elated if the Saints brought him in.

i believe the Giants put a UFA tender on Golden, so if he signs with us it will cost us a comp pick (then again, we don't really need those right now).
If I read this correctly, he has until July 22 to sign with another team. However, if he does, the Giants get a comp pick (and I assume that means he counts against the team signing him relative to the comp pick calculation). If that is the case, it likely would cost the Saints a 6th to sign him plus the salary he is looking for. Somewhat of a deterent.

Clowney feels like a real long-shot.

I wouldn’t be opposed to adding another quality DE though... a guy that could step in and be starter quality with upside should anything happen to Davenport... again.

How close are we to Clowney homophones or haikus?

I sat here for 5 minutes and cant come up with a homophone for Clowney... its the equivalent of trying to find something that rhymes with orange. Its basically impossible.

My motivation
For Clowney haiku is low
I'll get drunk instead

Remind me, how many SR.com pages on a particular Free Agent does it take before we sign them? 20? Almost there....
It’s actually an inverse relationship. The longer the thread the LESS likely it is. See: Suh and Coach Pete threads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom