Jahri Evans (1 Viewer)

I saw him make a few mistakes against Seattle, but he's way better than what we wouldve had, and overall he's doing pretty good. I'm not worried about our inability to break 3 YPC in the run game, because they just need to give Drew time and we'll move the ball.

Speaking as one who actually thought he had some tread left on the tires when we reacquired his services, he has exceeded my expectations by a lot. It's great to have him back and filling a big void. Strief is also having very solid year.

1 or 2, he is the weak link. Or is it Peat ? mhh no it's Strief !

Anyway, he was a good G for years but he's finished. I mean, there is a reason we let him go this summer and there is a reason the Seahawks cut him before regular season, right ? There must be one apart from money.

Even if I watch a lot of football, very tough to grade a player even more on OL. I can make the difference between a great player and a bad player but that's it.

Now if I grade him with regards to SR comments I read or thread I went through last season and once we signed him... my best guess is that he merits a 10 cause he sure has surpassed expectations.

With that in mind, Strief probably is a 12 based on the great number of ''I told you so, he's finished'' comments I went through over the last 12 months.

He's played surprisingly well. Would bring him back on a one year deal although we do need to find a RG for the future this off-season

One of the best things to happen this year was when he was cut by the Seahawks.

Agreed, and I say he's been a 6 - 8 (worst - best) grade since be been back.

The release from Seattle not only motivated Evans, but it also showed the Saints that he should have not been cut in the first place because Lelito nor Kelemente was his replacement. Luckily we were able to sign him back.

Now, is Evans the best guard in the league? Absolutely not. Did he make mistakes this year? Of course. Is there anyone on this year's team better at the RG position? Doubt it.

Evans probably has one more decent year left in the tank and the Saints should probably bring him back next year for 2 reasons:

1-We haven't solidified the LG position, so we don't need holes at both guard positions. We tried that this year and it blew up in our face.

2-We don't have a replacement for Evans on this team. We may need to sign a free agent like we did when we signed Ben Grubbs to play guard in order to replace Evans, or draft a player and groom him 1 year behind Evans. Either way, I say that Evans stays due to familiarity with the play calls and his contract should be "cap friendly". If we learned anything this year, we definitely should know that we should only replace one lineman at a time vice 2 because it messes with chemistry.

but still we have to find a new RG ... suprisingly, Strief is playing good this year at RT .... so I am guessing he will stay as our starter atleast until the end of next season ...

Agree. Here's some guards and tackles that are worth looks in the upcoming draft... all of these guys have played on the right. Been watching film on 'em all night.

GUARDS
======
Dan Feeney
Pat Elflein
Ethan Pocic
Braden Smith
Greg Pyke
Kyle Kalis

TACKLES
======
Mike McGlinchey
Tyrell Crosby
J.J. Dielman
Dan Skipper

And here's a small school sleeper.
======
Julie'n Davenport

Saying seasons 2008-2012 was a 9.5
2013 was an 8
2014-2015 a 4.5
2016- 7.5

At the line of scrimmage he is almost playing as well as he was in his prime. The biggest difference is he isn't a guy that pulls, gets down field on screens or gets to the second level like he did earlier in his career. Overall, I'd put him at slightly above average which is a huge upgrade compared to what we thought we would get a few months ago.

Another positive that may be going unnoticed. He was the most penalized OG for a few years in a row, those penalties seem to be way down as well. That tells me what he has lost in athletic ability he has made up with technique and experience.

He's playing better simply because he's actually healthier than he was the last few seasons. I'm glad he came back because he could've have easily stiffed the Saints after he was released in the offseason.

The question for the future is - is there any RG in this draft worth drafting? The more I watch, the more I say no.

• Quenton Nelson is a guard I'd draft in a heartbeat and try at the right side - but he'll likely return to Notre Dame.

• McGlinchey is another, he'd be a great pick at RT. We could put him in at RG for a year or two, while he learns the ropes. But he's another Notre Dame player that will probably return to school.

• Dan Feeney? Maybe. But he'll likely be gone before we pick in the 2nd. Is he worth a 1st round pick? - no, not when players like Reuben Foster are still on the board.

So that leaves FA. Cincinatti Bengal RG Kevin Zeitler will be an unrestricted free agent next year, and he'll be looking for a payday. His average cap hit right now is about 1.9M. He may well be the best choice.

Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals

After being drafted in the first round in 2012, Zeitler (84.6) has played at least 800 snaps in all four years with the Bengals. Cincinnati picked up his fifth-year option this offseason, which will push him to 2017’s free-agent market. In all four seasons, he has graded above-average as a run-blocker and improved each year. He was the only right guard in 2015 with 500 or more pass-blocks and no sacks allowed.

I think we should be ready to replace Strief and Evans before it is too late. I don't know who may be the appropriate replacements but first I would look at young backups who have done a good job taking the place of starters that will get their job back.

I will also focus on college players who have 2-3 years experience playing on traditionally good lines for teams who have a complex run and protection schemes.

I can see 2 or 3 players coming to add depth and compete for starting places next year, but I don't see us breaking the bank on expensive free agents.

The question for the future is - is there any RG in this draft worth drafting? The more I watch, the more I say no.

• Quenton Nelson is a guard I'd draft in a heartbeat and try at the right side - but he'll likely return to Notre Dame.

• McGlinchey is another, he'd be a great pick at RT. We could put him in at RG for a year or two, while he learns the ropes. But he's another Notre Dame player that will probably return to school.

• Dan Feeney? Maybe. But he'll likely be gone before we pick in the 2nd. Is he worth a 1st round pick? - no, not when players like Reuben Foster are still on the board.

So that leaves FA. Cincinatti Bengal RG Kevin Zeitler will be an unrestricted free agent next year, and he'll be looking for a payday. His average cap hit right now is about 1.9M. He may well be the best choice.

I think we are grooming Landon Turner for the future at RG . I say that because he seems to be used primarily as a RG now ,though he has taken snaps at Tackle eligible . He really does have talent just needs to get more technically sound . He did have a 3rd to a 5th round grade on him so we got lucky we were able to sign him as undrafted . He showed he can play in the preseason and should continue to grow as a player .

Bad move... he's over the hill. We reached to sign a Seahawks' castoff.

/sarcasm

Jahri's experience and veteran presence has been a mainstay for us this season. Yes, we'll have to find an upgrade this season. But for me, adding him this season is like getting a retreaded spare tire when you had a flat on the highway's shoulder.

Is it the best possible scenario? Absolutely not. But with Jahri, we're able to keep heading down the road, with an outside chance we'll be in the hunt for a postseason position.

:gosaints:

I think we are grooming Landon Turner for the future at RG . I say that because he seems to be used primarily as a RG now ,though he has taken snaps at Tackle eligible . He really does have talent just needs to get more technically sound.

Maybe. But I don't think so.

1) Zach stays on, trains his successor (who we choose in the draft. If not this year, then next).
2) Jahri moves on. To replace him we sign Kevin Zeitler in free agency, unrestricted free agent RG in Cincinatti.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom