Jairus Byrd (1 Viewer)

Man Byrd is a leader by example. He excels in his free roaming. Hes the last line of coverage so he is in charge of fixing all the mistakes the defense in front of him makes. Its hard being a Free Safety for the New Orleans Saints now a days lol.

I give him a lot of credit this year and i thought performed well. If we can get more front 7 and CB help, he can do what he is truly good at.

Cutting Byrd is a bad idea; financially, and strategically. Lets get more solid pieces around him, and really see how good or bad we did. Honestly, one good season at the perfect time is all we need.

Sometimes I feel like we just fell into a time warp and two seasons of discussions have been somehow wiped from the servers....

Honestly, after 3 years of inconstant play, lack of availability, topped with the amount of loot he's eating up, I partly agree. I'm not saying dump Byrd and take the hit, I'm thinking more like restructuring his current contract to reflect his on-field contributions and performance over the course of his stay in NO. NOT HATING ON BYRD, but lets be real, that 8-9mil he's collecting is a steep price to pay when considering how little he's done thus far. I think bringing in a guy to compete and eventually replace Byrd is an excellent idea, and I hope we draft someone this year to do just that. Plus, being benched and replaced by Bell early in the year, kind of sparked Byrd's uptick in play and production. Win, win.

The Saints need to move on from Byrd at the June 1st cut. The Saints have a history of holding onto bad players too long. They also need to release Cadet, Harper & Fleener

Are you upset they traded Darren Sproles?

Brilliant idea! Even though we just finished bailing out the boat of dead money from previous years, lets add even more while simultaneously burning through half our available cap space for this year by cutting Byrd ($3.4M dead even as a June 1st) and Fleener ($12.2M dead).

And as for Harper and Cadet, last I checked, you can't cut players that aren't under contract...

Please leave the cap talk to those that understand it.

I don't know why I click threads with titles, such as "our defense" or some player's name with nothing more to describe the point discussed .

I guess just to confirm that the post will suck as much as the title

Byrd actually played well this year.

Byrd played better this year but I wouldn't say he played "well". I think if Bell gets his head together a little more his sophomore year he will be as good, if not better, than Byrd.

Bell is by far the more superior athlete than Byrd at this point, so the only thing Byrd carries over Bell is the noodles. I expect big thing from Bell in the near future.:9:

Cadet and Harper are UFA. Fleener is overpaid, but not worthless so releasing him does nothing but create a salary cap hit. Byrd is finally healthy and starting to be used in a manner that suits his skill set.

we are also known for cutting players too soon... cough sproles, cough jenkins, cough martin anderson, cough can't stop coughing... need to go see a dr. maybe dr brees is in the office.

Sproles I can understand bc I think we just got static in how we used him bc he clearly had a lot left in the tank. I think Sproles getting traded was a mistake, but the coaching staff just didn't know how to utilize him in this offewnse anymore in a non obvious way. It was like everytime Sproles was in the game you knew what the play would be.

Jenks is different. He was done here - checked out mentally - and he even admitted it. He said he got complacent and stopped trying his hardest here bc he had been so good his entire life he just got comfortable. He then said if he hadnt gotten that wake up call of the Saints not wanting him anymore then he probably wouldnt have developed in the player hes become (which is very overrated imo btw).

I do not know who Martin Anderson is.

None of Sproles, Jenkins nor Andersen were cut. I understand the point, just clarifying one was a trade and two were free agents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom