Jake Long wants 10 million per season (1 Viewer)

Saint of Killers

Formerly "WhoDatHank"
Reaction score
Report: Jake Long wants

Long’s monetary expectations remain high. Citing people who have spoken to the Dolphins’ front office, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports Long is believed to be seeking “at least $10 million a year” and the Fins are “pessimistic” about their chances of retaining him.

I'm not sure if he'll get $10 million from anyone after the season he just had. Definitely not us, so hopefully this will silence the few i've heard on here wanting to let Bushrod walk to sign Long. What i'm wondering is if Long somehow does get the contract he wants, what will Bushrod be offered in FA? He's coming off his second straight pro-bowl so is value higher or lower than Long's?

He wants 10 but the contract he'll be getting will be more around 8M for the first few seasons. If Bushrod get something like 5-6M/year, it's debatable which player is the "better deal".

Bushrod's value is definitely lower than Long's. The Pro Bowl is largely a popularity contest but of course that won't stop his agent trying to use it as leverage. And yes, Long (or Clady) will set the market at LT this year and if they receive big deals all of the agents will point to them as a reason why their client (inc Bushrod) ought to get a better contract.

The bottom line here, for anyone wishful enough to think we might get Long is this; we can't afford Long, we likely can't afford Bushrod and one way or another we will be looking for a new (cheap) LT. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but it is an eventuality for which this board needs to prepare itself.

"Hey Long, want to win a superbowl? Take 6-7mil and you get to play with Brees."

Loomis is a true wordsmith, that guy could sell ketchup popcicles while wearing white gloves and never get them stained.

Its worth a shot, if he says no then let him go to a team that will overpay for him and he'll never sniff a superbowl.

"Hey Long, want to win a superbowl? Take 6-7mil and you get to play with Brees."

Loomis is a true wordsmith, that guy could sell ketchup popcicles while wearing white gloves and never get them stained.

Its worth a shot, if he says no then let him go to a team that will overpay for him and he'll never sniff a superbowl.

Yeah that worked for Carl Nicks.

If he gets 10 mil, that will just about ensure Miami will not be competitive. Only top 5 QB's can make that much money without dragging their team down.

Roman Harper will be making 8 million and Will Smith will be making 10 million a year next year

Just go ahead and add Vilma in there as well. Take a look at his monies:

Base Salary: 1,600,000
Salary Bonus: 1,700,000
Misc Bonus: 1,632,500
CAP HIT: 4,932,500

Base Salary: 4,800,000
Salary Bonus: 1,700,000
Misc Bonus: 2,182,500
CAP HIT: 8,682,500

2014: UFA

Vilma doesn't have it in him to play up to 1/4 of that amount of money.

$10 million is lower than expected. We are talking averages here, not salary. So a 6 year, $60 million deal gets him what he wants. I think we can afford it. Give him an $18 million bonus and $30 million guaranteed. 1st year base of $2 million gives you a cap figure of $5 million. 2nd year base of $3 million gives you a cap figure of $6 million. 3rd year base of $3.5 million gives you a $6.5 million cap charge. Base of $5.5 million on year 4 gives you a $8.5 million cap charge. At this point, we would have exceeded the guaranteed money for him by $2 million. In year 5, the base can jump to $12 million with a cap of $15 million. Depending on where the NFL cap is and how he is performing, you can think I about restructuring. Otherwise, in the final year of the deal, his base will be a whopping $36 million with a cap charge of $39 million. If you release him, you will save $36 million against the cap. In the end, he would have made as much as $42 million depending on what happened in year 5, which puts him right around $8.5 million per season even though his contract averages $10 million.

By the way, I expect Jermon Bushrod to command a deal that averages $8 million a season so Long's contract demands are very reasonable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom