Saints Jameis getting stronger day by day 💪🏾⚜⚜⚜ (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't mind having Rodgers, but even he doesn't come without risks for the well known reasons, and also because I just don't get the sense he'll be in the league much longer. I'd rather go with someone young who we can build a team around for the next 5-8 years. I believe Winston can be that guy.
Nah, man. We should go after Mike Glennon. After all, he signed a huge contract in Chicago, which means he's awesome, right?

I'm not a JW2 fan, but I'm also not a JW2 hater. I'm a Saints fan, above all other considerations.

And as a Saints fan, I think there's no debate that JW2 was the best QB in our 2021 season. Are there better options in 2022? Maybe, but at what cost? And at what risk? I'm all for upgrading ANY position that can be upgraded. Some acquisitions are just no-brainers, while others must be run through a rigorous risk/reward scenario. Can't remember who said it, but it really stuck with me when I heard it...."you don't pay players based on what they've done; you pay 'em based on what you think they're gonna do!"

Now, I'm no expert, but I can extrapolate risk/reward as well as most on this board (without the benefit of inside information within the Saints organization).

Aaron Rodgers is a phenomenal QB, who is also a phenomenal PITA. I just don't see the fit with CSP or the Saints organization. We'd have to give up a SIGNIFICANT quantity (and QUALITY) of draft capital just to acquire him. Draft picks that are needed to fill glaring holes on this roster; draft picks on comparatively cheap rookie contracts. Furthermore, we have salary cap issues AGAIN, for at least 1 more season. To acquire Rodgers and fit under the cap, we'll probably lose some important veteran pieces we need, but can't afford; or who refuse to restructure in a way that benefits the team. And assuming we somehow pull all this off, what is the reward? Perhaps 3 years of HOF-caliber QB play for a team that is paper-thin on depth, with talent deficiencies at skill positions, and too little draft capital to address those shortfalls? I'm not running the show, or calling the shots; but IF I was, that's a hard pass for me.

Russ Wilson is an above-average QB, who could possibly be elite with the right coaching. I see him as a great fit in NO. But again, at what cost? See above thoughts. I'm also concerned that Russ put up some rather pedestrian numbers with better offensive weapons than we currently have in NO. If he couldn't raise the game of those better players, how can we expect him to raise the game of the lesser players (WR/TE) in NO? Don't forget, we've likely sent a ransom of draft picks to acquire him, so for the most part, we're relying on MT to elevate the offense. If Russ couldn't "get it done" in Seattle, I question how he's the answer in NO. While Russ has taken a lot of hits as a running QB, he's in his early 30s and I'd think his mental game is able to compensate for decreased running threat. If Russ was a FA, I'd see him as a good fit. Just not for the expected cost.

Deshaun Watson. Fantastic QB with a huge upside IMO. CSP probably drools at the prospect. But a huge question mark for character and leadership. CSP probably cringes at the prospect. Not gonna happen.

Derek Carr. Average to above-average QB who is a LEADER. As Carr goes, so go the Raiders. Spent some years in a Gruden offense, which bears many philosophical similarities to CSPs offenses. CSP and Gruden spent time together in their formative years on Eagles staff many years ago, and their friendship has continued over the years. Derek Carr is DB9 in San Diego. Comparable to JW2, IMO, but with lower ceiling and higher floor. Cost to acquire is the main consideration here. Longshot, IMO, but still a dark horse.

Looking at the current roster, all we have are TH7, who may not be ready for the season, IB16, and now Bortles. While TH7 MAY be ready, and we've seen what he can do, his playing style is not conducive to a lengthy career, or even a complete season. And he's on the wrong side of 30 now. Likely to be injured more frequently, with longer recoveries. A useful player, but not the long-term answer, IMO. Bortles has washed out with every team he's played for, for whatever reason. I see him as a journeyman QB, solid backup with starting experience, or possibly just a camp arm while we're waiting for TH7 to recover; IB16 to develop; and/or JW2 to be re-signed.

Perhaps we'll draft a QB? But is there really a blue-chip prospect in the draft that CSP may be interested in? And if there is, we know CSP doesn't like to play rookie QBs....he wants to "season" them until they're ready, like Reid did with Mahomes; who didn't even start a game until very late in his rookie year. We know he subscribes to Parcells' check list of "franchise QB qualities", and we know what QBs he's drafted before (and what UDFAs he's signed), but do we really know what he wants in an early round (1st or 2nd) QB to draft him? He's rumored to have wanted Mahomes, just not enough to keep from getting "jumped" in the draft order; which tells me he saw Mahomes and Lattimore as being in the same "cloud" of comparable value. Has CSP ever drafted an early round QB? Has he ever worked with one before? I honestly don't know the answer to that....

Here's what I surmise....we still don't know what IB16 is capable of. We only know that the Saints SAY they're very high on him. I'm inclined to believe that, as a 4th round QB prospect is typically put on the Practice Squad. But instead, CSP kept him as a 4th QB, using up a valuable roster spot (especially THIS season) all season in order to prevent him from being poached off the PS. That speaks to me. With an entire season under his belt in the organization, THIS is the season for IB16 to prove what he's got. This QB class is comparatively weak compared to other drafts. I'm sure there's still a starter, possibly a star, in this draft; but harder to find than usual. IF the Saints draft another QB, I think it's an acknowledgement that IB16 isn't viewed as the guy. But I wouldn't be surprised if they DON'T draft a QB, because they're pleased with IB16 progress. Doesn't mean that IB16 IS the man, just means that CSP still thinks he could be. I like this scenario, but only a fool bets everything on one specific scenario.

All this brings me right back to JW2. He's a know commodity, both in and out of the locker room. He seems to have matured since coming to NO, which was a knock on him at TB. He seems to have cut down on his impulsive decision-making on the field, which was also a knock in TB. Since he's come to NO, he has said and done ALL the right things. His injury is a serious one, but an ACL isn't crucial to his game, he's a pocket passer, not a runner. Even so, his rehab seems to be going very well, even ahead of schedule. Re-signing JW2 seems to be the safest best, IMO. A known quantity, still with upside, who won't break the franchise in terms of $$$ or draft assets. An injured and re-habbing JW2 is at least as good a signing (perhaps better than?) as an injured FA QB with a re-constructed rotator cuff, with anchor pins on his throwing shoulder. Now I'm not about to suggest that JW2 IS that guy, but what if the "drive", the impetus for greatness, is an injury that raised the prospect of losing the game you love FOREVER. And the thought of that loss drives you to make the most of every moment while you've got them, realizing that any given play may be your last...FOREVER? Perhaps that was the secret to DB9s greatness? And if so, perhaps JW2 will show us the sequel? Perhaps...

And if so, I'd like to see that....

Jameis didn’t go 5-2 alone, the team went 5-2. Some pretty bad players went 5-2, some average players went 5-2 and some great players went 5-2. I’d put Jameis in the middle category of average players. I don’t recall a single one of those games where I saw him being the reason we won. He managed the games with a leash on, which was the most Payton was willing to let him do.

Wow....we must have been watching completely different games then. What I saw was a QB that was growing by the week and an offense steadily improving as said QB was growing more confident in our offense (an offense without it's best WR and kicker)...

What you entirely dismiss is JW's redzone efficiency, over his last 3 games the offense averaged almost 30 a game and 360 yards of offense....incredibly efficient....if you don't think that leash was coming off I'm not sure what you were watching....

I'm not a JW2 fan, but I'm also not a JW2 hater. I'm a Saints fan, above all other considerations.

And as a Saints fan, I think there's no debate that JW2 was the best QB in our 2021 season. Are there better options in 2022? Maybe, but at what cost? And at what risk? I'm all for upgrading ANY position that can be upgraded. Some acquisitions are just no-brainers, while others must be run through a rigorous risk/reward scenario. Can't remember who said it, but it really stuck with me when I heard it...."you don't pay players based on what they've done; you pay 'em based on what you think they're gonna do!"

Now, I'm no expert, but I can extrapolate risk/reward as well as most on this board (without the benefit of inside information within the Saints organization).

Aaron Rodgers is a phenomenal QB, who is also a phenomenal PITA. I just don't see the fit with CSP or the Saints organization. We'd have to give up a SIGNIFICANT quantity (and QUALITY) of draft capital just to acquire him. Draft picks that are needed to fill glaring holes on this roster; draft picks on comparatively cheap rookie contracts. Furthermore, we have salary cap issues AGAIN, for at least 1 more season. To acquire Rodgers and fit under the cap, we'll probably lose some important veteran pieces we need, but can't afford; or who refuse to restructure in a way that benefits the team. And assuming we somehow pull all this off, what is the reward? Perhaps 3 years of HOF-caliber QB play for a team that is paper-thin on depth, with talent deficiencies at skill positions, and too little draft capital to address those shortfalls? I'm not running the show, or calling the shots; but IF I was, that's a hard pass for me.

Russ Wilson is an above-average QB, who could possibly be elite with the right coaching. I see him as a great fit in NO. But again, at what cost? See above thoughts. I'm also concerned that Russ put up some rather pedestrian numbers with better offensive weapons than we currently have in NO. If he couldn't raise the game of those better players, how can we expect him to raise the game of the lesser players (WR/TE) in NO? Don't forget, we've likely sent a ransom of draft picks to acquire him, so for the most part, we're relying on MT to elevate the offense. If Russ couldn't "get it done" in Seattle, I question how he's the answer in NO. While Russ has taken a lot of hits as a running QB, he's in his early 30s and I'd think his mental game is able to compensate for decreased running threat. If Russ was a FA, I'd see him as a good fit. Just not for the expected cost.

Deshaun Watson. Fantastic QB with a huge upside IMO. CSP probably drools at the prospect. But a huge question mark for character and leadership. CSP probably cringes at the prospect. Not gonna happen.

Derek Carr. Average to above-average QB who is a LEADER. As Carr goes, so go the Raiders. Spent some years in a Gruden offense, which bears many philosophical similarities to CSPs offenses. CSP and Gruden spent time together in their formative years on Eagles staff many years ago, and their friendship has continued over the years. Derek Carr is DB9 in San Diego. Comparable to JW2, IMO, but with lower ceiling and higher floor. Cost to acquire is the main consideration here. Longshot, IMO, but still a dark horse.

Looking at the current roster, all we have are TH7, who may not be ready for the season, IB16, and now Bortles. While TH7 MAY be ready, and we've seen what he can do, his playing style is not conducive to a lengthy career, or even a complete season. And he's on the wrong side of 30 now. Likely to be injured more frequently, with longer recoveries. A useful player, but not the long-term answer, IMO. Bortles has washed out with every team he's played for, for whatever reason. I see him as a journeyman QB, solid backup with starting experience, or possibly just a camp arm while we're waiting for TH7 to recover; IB16 to develop; and/or JW2 to be re-signed.

Perhaps we'll draft a QB? But is there really a blue-chip prospect in the draft that CSP may be interested in? And if there is, we know CSP doesn't like to play rookie QBs....he wants to "season" them until they're ready, like Reid did with Mahomes; who didn't even start a game until very late in his rookie year. We know he subscribes to Parcells' check list of "franchise QB qualities", and we know what QBs he's drafted before (and what UDFAs he's signed), but do we really know what he wants in an early round (1st or 2nd) QB to draft him? He's rumored to have wanted Mahomes, just not enough to keep from getting "jumped" in the draft order; which tells me he saw Mahomes and Lattimore as being in the same "cloud" of comparable value. Has CSP ever drafted an early round QB? Has he ever worked with one before? I honestly don't know the answer to that....

Here's what I surmise....we still don't know what IB16 is capable of. We only know that the Saints SAY they're very high on him. I'm inclined to believe that, as a 4th round QB prospect is typically put on the Practice Squad. But instead, CSP kept him as a 4th QB, using up a valuable roster spot (especially THIS season) all season in order to prevent him from being poached off the PS. That speaks to me. With an entire season under his belt in the organization, THIS is the season for IB16 to prove what he's got. This QB class is comparatively weak compared to other drafts. I'm sure there's still a starter, possibly a star, in this draft; but harder to find than usual. IF the Saints draft another QB, I think it's an acknowledgement that IB16 isn't viewed as the guy. But I wouldn't be surprised if they DON'T draft a QB, because they're pleased with IB16 progress. Doesn't mean that IB16 IS the man, just means that CSP still thinks he could be. I like this scenario, but only a fool bets everything on one specific scenario.

All this brings me right back to JW2. He's a know commodity, both in and out of the locker room. He seems to have matured since coming to NO, which was a knock on him at TB. He seems to have cut down on his impulsive decision-making on the field, which was also a knock in TB. Since he's come to NO, he has said and done ALL the right things. His injury is a serious one, but an ACL isn't crucial to his game, he's a pocket passer, not a runner. Even so, his rehab seems to be going very well, even ahead of schedule. Re-signing JW2 seems to be the safest best, IMO. A known quantity, still with upside, who won't break the franchise in terms of $$$ or draft assets. An injured and re-habbing JW2 is at least as good a signing (perhaps better than?) as an injured FA QB with a re-constructed rotator cuff, with anchor pins on his throwing shoulder. Now I'm not about to suggest that JW2 IS that guy, but what if the "drive", the impetus for greatness, is an injury that raised the prospect of losing the game you love FOREVER. And the thought of that loss drives you to make the most of every moment while you've got them, realizing that any given play may be your last...FOREVER? Perhaps that was the secret to DB9s greatness? And if so, perhaps JW2 will show us the sequel? Perhaps...

Nice post. :9:

Wow....we must have been watching completely different games then. What I saw was a QB that was growing by the week and an offense steadily improving as said QB was growing more confident in our offense (an offense without it's best WR and kicker)...

What you entirely dismiss is JW's redzone efficiency, over his last 3 games the offense averaged almost 30 a game and 360 yards of offense....incredibly efficient....if you don't think that leash was coming off I'm not sure what you were watching....
Yeah, feels like 2 different universes. Weird how 2 different people can watch the same set of games and come to such vastly different conclusions.

Outstanding post!

Hey Duncan,

Meet your replacement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom