Saints Jameis getting stronger day by day šŸ’ŖšŸ¾āšœāšœāšœ (1 Viewer)

That is very good deductive reasoning. I hope for his sake that he doesnā€™t take the Mark Ingram approach where he takes the chance on himself and ends up with less than he wanted and in a worse situation. Heā€™ll have to enter free agency to find out and I donā€™t think the front office will take long in going after someone else, because they canā€™t.
I agree that QBs especially should realize that money is just part of the equation insofar as what the best offer actually is.

Winston took below market deals for 2 years straight, not just because he might have had a limited market, but also because he believed working with Sean and Drew was worth it. Based on that:

I believe that if the Saints commit to doing something to beef up the WR room and especially if that combines with things looking good on CGM coming back, JW will give a reasonable hometown discount for a multi year deal with reasonably attainable incentives.

Ok if we take a QB in the draft you have to use ā€œTony is a football geniusā€œ as your signature for a year. If we donā€™t then Iā€™ll say the same about you. If we pick up a free agent QB all bets are offā€¦..sound fair?
I love it. Letā€™s throw in a $20 dollar contribution to Saints Report as well?

I love friendly bets. Thanks for being a good sport.

Yes, he wanted to work with Payton and Drew, but he also didnā€™t have any interest from other teams. However, there just isnā€™t enough to show that heā€™s earned that multiyear deal yet, unless it is cheap, heavily incentive laden and with very low guaranteed money. Itā€™s unfortunate that his shot got cut short, but it happened and it is what it is. He doesnā€™t really have any leverage. He can bet on himself on the open market an potentially end up as a backup on another team or he can decide to bet on himself here and earn that bigger contract. But anyone that contends that he has shown everything he needed to show in order to get that next lucrative deal isn't being honest. Heā€™s only shown that he isnā€™t without potential, not that heā€™s achieved that potential.
I know your perceptions and triggers on him.

He gonna be back though, on a multi year. Weā€™ll get through it, together. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Why? First, if you havenā€™t seen the workout video posted today, check it out. Thatā€™s not the look of a guy who wonā€™t be ready to go in July.

But more to the point, his main competition, Hill, might be longer in his recovery. Perhaps a lot longer.

Book? Bortles?

The big names being thrown around are very likely out of reach, and almost certainly not worth the cost if they do hit the market.

Is there a rookie QB who can be a quality day 1 starter so we arenā€™t squandering a season of a championship caliber defense? I donā€™t think thereā€™s a rookie who is a better prospect than Winston. And this team has some holes to fill with high picks regardless of what happens at QB.

Winston might not be popular with some, but he sure looks like the best of the realistic options the Saints have.
Okay, but you are responding to my post as if I said I donā€™t want him back. I certainly think heā€™s the best option for us. Iā€™m just looking at it like, he signed a prove-it deal last season and didnā€™t make it 1/3 of the way through. So now we should offer him a large, long-term contract? Maybe thatā€™s what weā€™ll do. Who knows? I just think it is an interesting situation. Itā€™ll certainly be influenced by what other offers he gets, if we donā€™t lock him down first.

You have some preconceived notions about my feelings for the man, which are so wrong itā€™s not even funny. My thoughts on him are purely as a QB.

That said, I wonā€™t make any bets against it because Loomis made a stupid contract for Hill already, but I think it would be a another mistake.
You have some preconceived notions about my feelings for the man, which are so wrong itā€™s not even funny. My thoughts on him are purely as a QB.

That said, I wonā€™t make any bets against it because Loomis made a stupid contract for Hill already, but I think it would be a another mistake.
I was referring to your record regarding him as a QB. You keep doing you, meaning I know your narrative regarding Winstonā€™s ability, ceiling, etc. and I know you are too far down the tracks to adjust.

JW will be QB1 next year though.

Okay, but you are responding to my post as if I said I donā€™t want him back. I certainly think heā€™s the best option for us. Iā€™m just looking at it like, he signed a prove-it deal last season and didnā€™t make it 1/3 of the way through. So now we should offer him a large, long-term contract? Maybe thatā€™s what weā€™ll do. Who knows? I just think it is an interesting situation. Itā€™ll certainly be influenced by what other offers he gets, if we donā€™t lock him down first.

No, sorry it came across that way. I meant those are the circumstances I see for making a bigger commitment to him. If the team feels good about the track he was on, I donā€™t think the sides will have trouble coming to agreement. But I agree with others that another 1 year prove it deal is highly unlikely to keep him here. Coming off injury, Winston has been reminded that football careers are fleeting.

Well, the other question is why would we commit heavily to him long-term when heā€™s coming off an ACL injury, and weā€™ve only seen him in a handful of games? Why would we be more apt to refuse to offer a one-year deal now vs this past season when he was a starter? Honestly, I was thinking something like a one year, 12 million contract with incentives. Hell, I donā€™t know. Maybe thatā€™s crazy thinking.
Errr... umm... Joe Burrow came off a serious injury from the 2020 season. šŸ¤”

Heā€™s ballinā€™ this season!

:gosaints:

Errr... umm... Joe Burrow came off a serious injury from the 2020 season. šŸ¤”

Heā€™s ballinā€™ this season!

:gosaints:
I am confident in Winston. I donā€™t think heā€™ll have any trouble with the knee. Just saying, it has to somewhat factor into the equation. Maybe Iā€™m completely wrong, but Iā€™m not necessarily sure there are many teams who will be jumping to offer him a big, long-term contract just yet. That said, QBs are always a need and highly coveted, so I could very well be wrong. I want him back, but I also feel it sucks that his prove-it deal was cut very short because I think we all felt the past season would determine his value going forward.

I am confident in Winston. I donā€™t think heā€™ll have any trouble with the knee. Just saying, it has to somewhat factor into the equation. Maybe Iā€™m completely wrong, but Iā€™m not necessarily sure there are many teams who will be jumping to offer him a big, long-term contract just yet. That said, QBs are always a need and highly coveted, so I could very well be wrong. I want him back, but I also feel it sucks that his prove-it deal was cut very short because I think we all felt the past season would determine his value going forward.
In my personal opinion Winston had to prove last season that he could go from a go for broke (gunslinger QB) to demonstrate he could operate within a structured offense and limit turnovers.

He left the bucs with an NFL record for the 2nd most passing yards in first 5 seasons only trailing a Peyton Manning.

In my personal opinion Winston had to prove last season that he could go from a go for broke (gunslinger QB) to demonstrate he could operate within a structured offense and limit turnovers.

He left the bucs with an NFL record for the 2nd most passing yards in first 5 seasons only trailing a Peyton Manning.
That was a big part of it, I think. However, I donā€™t think we can pretend that there werenā€™t training wheels on him, though. Payton basically did the same thing with him that he did with Bridgewater. Ball control, while leaning on the defense. It did look like Payton was gradually opening it up for him as he was proving that he could execute everything well. I just donā€™t know that we saw enough to feel confident in a big, long-term deal. Maybe meeting in the middle could be an option.

The one year, inexpensive deal was made for a reason. It was an extended tryout. Itā€™s up to Payton and the team, obviously. If they are confident in him as our QB for the foreseeable future, I have no doubt a deal will be made. It will be interesting.

Youā€™ve been spot on every post youā€™ve made in this thread. Some of the same people that are baffled by the bad contract that the team gave Taysom Hill without justification or competition for his services by other teams are calling for another bad contract to be given to Winston without justification or competition for his services by other teams.

Yes, we need a QB. His market will develop if he goes into free agency, but we may also sign somebody else if he waits to see what happens. That happened with Ingram when we signed Murray for what Ingram refused. I just donā€™t think Winston has the leverage that some people think he has.
The difference is Ingram was/is nearing the end of his career. Winston is just hitting the prime years of a qb. Winston has a track record, multiple 4k yards and one 5k yard season. Yes the interceptions were bad for him, but I think that was a byproduct of the system he was in. Between 4 and 6 other teams will be looking for another qb this season. The FA market for qb this offseason is looking pretty bare. I am 100% confident in saying that someone will sign him for $20 million/season. That's actually about average for a starting qb these days.

I think the Ingram comparison isn't remotely close to similar to Winston.

I don't know why you bother arguing with him. He made it pretty clear that Winston will have to prove him wrong and even then... He probably still won't concede and simply move the goal post or make superfluous arguments that really don't tell the whole story. So, why care... Just wait.

Iā€™m not sure that heā€™ll be able to change his game enough to be a good NFL starting QB, but I have to hand it to the guy, his dedication is impressive. Heā€™s seemingly erased his immaturity from his early years and if he can get his head around playing smart football, he could be interesting to watch. Iā€™m still not sold on giving him a big long term contract, but his knee and effort will not be an issue.
The major difference between Winston's dedication and the dedication of most of the other Saints player's is that Winston and his PR team make sure everyone sees his dedication on a regular basis.

He's not doing anything that most of the other Saints players don't do when they have a similar injury. He doesn't work any harder than most of the other Saints players.

Winston's just always has his PR guys posting videos of his work. Some people then make the mistake of thinking that "if there's no photos or videos it isn't happening." So they get the mistaken impression that the other Saints players aren't as dedicated and working as hard as Winston.

Think about it like this, what if what he's doing in those videos is all that he's doing? All we see in those videos is what he's doing while he's being recorded and knows he's being recorded. I'm sure he's working hard, because you can't recover from an injury to make an NFL roster without working hard.

Short video clips do a lot to create impressions, but they do very little in the way of proving anything.

We should probably started a thread about Winston recovery and just condense because he will put out a new video weekly

We should just consolidate all the JW threads. Most of the threads on the board lately center around him and Hill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom