Jameis is returning to New Orleans for another year (1 Viewer)

Sounds like it may be $4-5M in total guarantees and base salary, and incentives drives it up to 8M if Winston gets playing time from injury.

Great team player to help the team’s salary cap situation by wiping out the previous deal’s cap hit in half of what it was for this year and the other half becomes available cap space. His agent must’ve seen his market around the league is as a backup.
Not saying he's not a team player, but I'm sure his options were limited. Took what he could get. If he could've got more somewhere else he would be gone.

Not saying he's not a team player, but I'm sure his options were limited. Took what he could get. If he could've got more somewhere else he would be gone.
I saw someone retweet his dad who posted text messages (that was then deleted) explaining why he took the deal. (Paraphrasing) Apparently, he is still not healthy and still rehabbing and he is using this season to get healthy. He loves the city and believes this is a Super Bowl team. He still believes that he can be a starter but he know how it looks with 2 major injuries in 3 years, so his focus is his health and being a great teammate.

Somebody in the other thread mentioned the possibility of failing a physical if going somewhere else, so it looks to be mutually beneficial. We get cap relief and he gets millions the rehab and prepare for 2024.

Last edited:
I saw someone retweet his dad who posted text messages (that was then deleted) explaining why he took the deal. (Paraphrasing) Apparently, he is still not healthy and still rehabbing and he is using this season to get healthy. He loves the city and believes this is a Super Bowl team. He still believes that he can be a starter but he know how it looks with 2 major injuries in 3 years, so his focus is his health and being a great teammate.

Somebody in the other thread mentioned the possibility of failing a physical if going somewhere else, so it looks to be mutually beneficial. We get cap relief and he gets millions the rehab and prepare for 2024.
So that explains why he sit the bench and never got back on the field

Wasn’t he upset that he lost his job to injury and didn’t get it back when he was healthy? Now five months later he’s not healthy again?

Wasn’t he upset that he lost his job to injury and didn’t get it back when he was healthy? Now five months later he’s not healthy again?
It was also said when given the opportunity, he turned it down. He has also been rehabbing the entire year.

Those were actual serious injuries that he played with..lol.

It was also said when given the opportunity, he turned it down. He has also been rehabbing the entire year.

Those were actual serious injuries that he played with..lol.

Yeah, him playing with those injuries was a head-scratcher for sure. I'm guessing Allen really wanted to see if Jameis could play with the injuries. Reminded me a little bit of Haslett's refusal to sit an injured Brooks. We all know how that turned out. :covri:

Yeah, him playing with those injuries was a head-scratcher for sure. I'm guessing Allen really wanted to see if Jameis could play with the injuries. Reminded me a little bit of Haslett's refusal to sit an injured Brooks. We all know how that turned out. :covri:
Yep, I knew he shouldn't be playing during the Bucs game when he was stripped from behind instead of scrambling for a first like he normally would. Looks like we are just paying him to rehab, which I think is a good deal if he didn't think he would be healthy enough.

Yep, I knew he shouldn't be playing during the Bucs game when he was stripped from behind instead of scrambling for a first like he normally would. Looks like we are just paying him to rehab, which I think is a good deal if he didn't think he would be healthy enough.
I highly doubt we are just paying him to rehab and not play

Wasn’t he mad that he lost his job due to injury and didn’t get it back? Now five months later he still can’t pass a physical.

Wasn’t he mad that he lost his job due to injury and didn’t get it back? Now five months later he still can’t pass a physical.
From what I understand, that was a media thing. I can't recall Winston ever commenting on getting his job back.

DIdn't DA say he was healthy but was being replaced as a "Performance" issue? I think he/they're trying to protect his image and value as the guy who wasn't benched for Andy Dalton.

Makes everyone look better if you think about it. Do you want to be the coach that benched a guy in favor of Andy Dalton? I wouldn't want that decision on my resume either

From what I understand, that was a media thing. I can't recall Winston ever commenting on getting his job back.

Funny how that works depending on your fan hood.. I remember it well.

Jameis Winston Appears Frustrated About Losing Starting Job To Injury​

“It hurts my soul and that’s all I can say,” Winston told reporters. “I lost my job due to injury and the policy has always been you don’t lose your job because of an injury. And that’s what happened.”

He obviously believed he was healthy enough to play. Andy Dalton kept him on the bench. It hurt his soul.

Funny how that works depending on your fan hood.. I remember it well.

Jameis Winston Appears Frustrated About Losing Starting Job To Injury​

“It hurts my soul and that’s all I can say,” Winston told reporters. “I lost my job due to injury and the policy has always been you don’t lose your job because of an injury. And that’s what happened.”

He obviously believed he was healthy enough to play. Andy Dalton kept him on the bench. It hurt his soul.
Lol, it would hurt any player's soul. That's a pretty normal response. He never said he was angry with Allen that I recall and I don't think he's said much about his injuries since then.

I think people read more into what he said than was actually there.

And of course, most players would try to play though injuries if they could. We've seen that happen before.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom