Saints Jameis pockets đź’°? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So_$@int Silly

Why is everybody (media outlets) worried about the money Jameis is making this year with the Saints. I have never been the one to check a man's pockets about his money. They saying he makes less than punters, kickers etc. Who cares. Bruh if this man chooses to take less money let him. That's the problem with some people, not all. They think their value is money and things. When we leave this earth we can't take none of these " material things" with us.

So_$@int Silly

Why is everybody (media outlets) worried about the money Jameis is making this year with the Saints. I have never been the one to check a man's pockets about his money. They saying he makes less than punters, kickers etc. Who cares. Bruh if this man chooses to take less money let him. That's the problem with some people, not all. They think their value is money and things. When we leave this earth we can't take none of these " material things" with us.
Mainly because there is zero to talk about with all sports being suspended, but also because he's a young promising quarterback that came off of a much larger deal with Tampa Bay.

Mainly because there is zero to talk about with all sports being suspended, but also because he's a young promising quarterback that came off of a much larger deal with Tampa Bay.
Because it is an extreme circumstance and there’s really nothing else to report about in the sports world. The money that he took is ridiculously below his market value.
Market value is 1 million per year, for 1 year. If it were more, he would have gotten it.

Because it is an extreme circumstance and there’s really nothing else to report about in the sports world. The money that he took is ridiculously below his market value.

Yeah, this kind of "discount" doesn't happen in sports. And for good reason. It only takes one play to end a career, whether it's in camp, a preseason game, practice, a real game, etc.. Jameis made "good" money on his 1st deal, $46M, so he's likely loaded. But playing for less than he "could" get this year is still a risk. Evidently, it's a risk he's willing to take, and that in itself is "news" during a slow news period.

But I think what makes it a bigger deal is how taking $1M and saying the things he's saying about Drew, Sean, Lombardi, Carmichael, and Taysom... goes completely against everybody's preconception of what kind of person Jameis is. At least I KNOW it all goes everything I thought about him. Heck, even good ole' wholesome all-american Teddy Bridgewater charged us $7M to play the same role last year. Teddy basically said all the same things Jameis is saying, and he too took "less" money to return to us than the Dolphins were offering, but $7M is about the max of what you'd expect to pay a starter level "back-up". $1M is what you'd expect to pay a low level back-up QB who's just a notch above a camp arm.

Now I believe playing for us for pennies is 25% Jameis wanting to improve his game, 25% getting his name in the hat to replace Drew, and 50% trying to re-brand himself to the public and to the rest of the league. But still, in a "Me Now" league at a "Me Now" position, Winston playing for $1M is one of those WOW things that just don't happen. And I honestly agree that it really is news worthy.

On a side note, I'm curious to see how his demeanor changes through the season. He's going to be asked the same questions for the next 10 months, and who knows how the season is going to actually play out. It's probably a lot easier to act humble and say the right things now. But if Taysom ends up starting some games over him this year, I wonder if he will still come across the same way in interviews. Especially if Taysom struggles and we don't "eat those W's".

With the virus too, there is a lot of uncertainty. Players can't meet face to face, workout, etc. So it is a lot riskier to sign someone right now.

Mainly, its a great play by both parties. Saints got a 1st overall pick QB coming off his rookie deal for next to nothing to be insurance this year and Jamies takes the big dose of humility and gets to learn from the best and could very well turn his career around with this move.

The Raiders gave Marcus Mariota a 2 yr 17.5 million deal. For comparison.

Did they really? I haven't followed things that closely. That's crazy talk. That's almost Bridgewater money, and Mariota has proven that he's not very good.

If I had to bet, my money is on JW knowing that this is Brees' last year and there will be an opening for a QB and he feels like he can beat out TH7 for the starting job next year. On top of that, he gets to learn the system while being tutored by Brees and Payton. It's very low risk / high reward for him. If it doesn't pan out, he tries for a spot somewhere else. Eyesight problems for a QB is huge. If surgery is all that is needed to correct his interception problem, then both the Saints and Winston share the jackpot.

It was a business decision for him. His "market value" is whatever anybody offers him "IF" he accepts it. That is HIS market value. Let's say you have a good job, make good money, but a competitor offers you a job for 50% more money, but you don't want to take the job for many reasons; don't like the weather, don't like the longer term career prospects, don't like the potential new boss, etc. Then another competitor offers you a job for less money, but you like that place a lot. You take the smaller offer....that was YOUR "market rate" because the market is you.

I hope it works out for all involved. He has the talent to be a very good QB in the league for years to come, he has to accept the learning experience he has been provided. He is being PAID a million dollars to go to the Harvard of QB's, it is up to him if he goes to class and works hard.

NFL is more akin to a closed market
market forces only tell a small part of the story

Not only is the NFL QB market a closed market, I would argue that it is close to being an outright dysfunctional market, what with the fact that it's become habitual for teams to simply hand any QB coming off his rookie deal that proves that he is worth resigning the largest contract in NFL history to that point, or near there. Add to that that a QB that isn't deemed worthy of resigning essentially has his value zeroed out (to wit, Blake Bortles, a QB that has an AFC Championship Game appearance under his belt, is being paid 1M on a one-year deal by the Rams this year).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom