Jameis throw the hail marry at the perfect angle (1 Viewer)

Excellent throw, and for some reason I had a feeling that we would have a chance at it. Also, I wonder if their defense expected us to throw a quick 10 yarder, and set up for a long field goal. I obviously haven’t seen the all-22 film, but it sort of looked like the Defense was scrambling down the field to cover our WRs!
They weren't expecting it...at least I don't think they were. They looked as if they were expecting to defend a deep out for a long field goal attempt.

honestly, it would increase interceptions but on 4th and long midfield if a team was down big anyway, what would be the harm in it?
Kinda true. Other than QB statistical purposes, it’s just as good as a 50 yard punt and you already have coverage in the area.

I think it also helped the defense had all their CBs near the LOS instead of waiting in the end zone. They had to actually run with our WRs instead of waiting to react to the ball.

But on 3rd and long if you are out of fg range a hail marry is not the worst idea if the defense is not excepting it.

I think it also helped the defense had all their CBs near the LOS instead of waiting in the end zone. They had to actually run with our WRs instead of waiting to react to the ball.
It did indeed, but the CB's had to play up because if I remember correctly there were still :08 left in the half and we had the ball on the WAS 49 with 2 timeouts left. They had to play the WR's tight because if they played everyone back, we could've picked up a quick 10-15 yards and called a timeout before attempting a long FG (not like we would've made it anyway, LOL, but the Washington defense had to account for it.)

But on 3rd and long if you are out of fg range a hail marry is not the worst idea if the defense is not excepting it.

Or you could use that play to try to get into field goal range.

The way he lofted it up so high, the ball took 4.5 seconds to come down, the time in the air gave Callaway who was the only WR lineup on the oppsite side of the field be able to slow down and line up in perfect angle to catch it. Callaway was able to get position in the crowd and box out and catch it.
Don't know if it was part of the plan, but #88 plowed a hole for Callaway to sit in for his leap!

Kinda true. Other than QB statistical purposes, it’s just as good as a 50 yard punt and you already have coverage in the area.
With Winston he will throw the Hail Mary and give his receivers a chance to catch the ball, but I have seen many QB's who intentionally overthrow the ball to avoid getting an interception added to their stat line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom