Jameis v. Drew (1st start as a Saint) (2 Viewers)

Dr. Sting

Veteran
Reaction score
Just wanted to give some context to what Jameis accomplished today. In Drew's first start as a Saint he went 16 of 30 for 170 yds, 1TD and 1INT. His passer rating was 67.4. His longest pass was 20 yards. That was against the Browns, a 4-12 team in 2006.

Jameis today went 14 of 20 passes for five TDs and 148 yards, running for 39 yards -- and most importantly committing zero turnovers. His passer rating was 130.8. His longest pass was 55 yds. to Harris. He did that against a team picked by many to make it to the Super Bowl.

Both Drew and Jameis were 27 years old when they made their 1st start for the Saints. My takeaways are that this is a better team than 2006 and Jameis is arguably more advanced than Drew was at this point in their careers. I am not arguing that Winston is Hall of Fame bound, but I am saying that we have a lot to look forward to as he continues to learn Sean's system.

Not to belittle Jameis and what he did but I think you need to remember Brees was coming off a pretty bad injury that many said he wouldn't recover from. Nick Saban would not show interest in him. That said, Winston only needed to get right in the head, he has more tools at his disposal than many HOF QB's. Lets hope it only gets better from here.

Just wanted to give some context to what Jameis accomplished today. In Drew's first start as a Saint he went 16 of 30 for 170 yds, 1TD and 1INT. His passer rating was 67.4. His longest pass was 20 yards. That was against the Browns, a 4-12 team in 2006.

Jameis today went 14 of 20 passes for five TDs and 148 yards, running for 39 yards -- and most importantly committing zero turnovers. His passer rating was 130.8. His longest pass was 55 yds. to Harris. He did that against a team picked by many to make it to the Super Bowl.

Both Drew and Jameis were 27 years old when they made their 1st start for the Saints. My takeaways are that this is a better team than 2006 and Jameis is arguably more advanced than Drew was at this point in their careers. I am not arguing that Winston is Hall of Fame bound, but I am saying that we have a lot to look forward to as he continues to learn Sean's system.
In all fairness, I don't think the two 1st games by Drew and Jameis as a Saint can be compared. Drew was coming off a major injury and was still not completely recovered.

Drew was still on a pitch count coming off of surgery, iirc. While he had been cleared to play, they were monitoring his arm.

I dont remember any pitch counts or concerns about his arm by then. He had played in 3 preseason games.

He threw for 353 yards on 41 pass attempts in the very next game against the Packers. Plus he had Deuce, Bush, Colston, Joe Horn, and Devery on that offense that 1st year.

I dont remember any pitch counts or concerns about his arm by then. He had played in 3 preseason games.

He threw for 353 yards on 41 pass attempts in the very next game against the Packers. Plus he had Deuce, Bush, Colston, Joe Horn, and Devery on that offense that 1st year.
Maybe not a pitch count per se, but the play calling was definitely conservative as Payton was getting his feet wet as a head coach. My guess is Drew said it was time to take the kid gloves off and he was ready to take flight with this offense. The rest is history.

It's not a bogus alibi. Go back and watch that season. It was about the fourth or fifth game before he started to look comfortable and get in a groove. He was pretty much grinding it out early in the season.

For a while, we were wondering if he'd ever really be sound, again and if our $10M gamble would pay off.

It's not a bogus alibi. Go back and watch that season. It was about the fourth or fifth game before he started to look comfortable and get in a groove. He was pretty much grinding it out early in the season.

For a while, we were wondering if he'd ever really be sound, again and if our $10M gamble would pay off.
I saw that season live. I remember a bad looking preseason and the threads popping up here about him being a waste.

My point is the start had less to do with his arm and more to do with both he and Payton getting acclimated to a new situation.

They still had more options to work with than this MASH unit for Jameis.

I saw that season live. I remember a bad looking preseason and the threads popping up here about him being a waste.

My point is the start had less to do with his arm and more to do with both he and Payton getting acclimated to a new situation.

They still had more options to work with than this MASH unit for Jameis.
Receiver-wise, I agree. Overall team? That first year team for Payton was a big collection of castoffs, some existing leftover talent and and pretty good draft class. Point is, a comparison of "first game as QB as a Saint" is apples and oranges and what's the point? Brees had an incredible career for us and I look forward to Winston being our next franchise QB.

These threads are 1000% foolish.

Jameis will never be Drew...and that's ok. He has a chance to flip the narrative on his career and author an incredible story, but to compare him to one of the greatest players in the history of the game is completely unfair.
The OP gave the context, how is that foolish? They were both 27 and playing their first game with the team. I know it may seem like hypocrisy to suggest Jameis is going to be a first-ballot HOF at this point but I think all players should aspire towards greatness. I am not suggesting that Jameis will reach hose heights but the comparison is not foolish. For as much as Drew was a great player for us, he was not a diety nor a perfect player. I'm sure the idea of the Packers having another HOF QB after Farve was unthinkable 15 years ago but here we are and Rogers has more accolades than Farve. This is a fan forum, so it's not foolish.

It is an interesting comparison, but the situations are much different.

The only thing I can say is that I am no longer worried about the level of QB play. Winston can get it done and take this team very far. This season will live or die by the defense and the overall health of the team.....we cannot keep having starters go down and expect to continue this success.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom