Jameis v. Drew (1st start as a Saint) (1 Viewer)

Situations really can't be compared.

Sean Payton was a rookie head coach figuring things out and Brees was still learning to trust his arm again in 2006. The Saints went 3-13 the previous year and had a gross lack of talent.

In 2021, the Saints are coming off their fourth straight NFC South title, four consecutive 11+ win seasons, the deepest defense in Saints history, easily the second best offensive line in Saints history, Kamara who will likely wind up being the best running back in Saints history, easily the best positional coaching staff in Saints history, the best scouting department in Saints history...

The amount of wrinkles that needed to be ironed out are nothing compared to when Payton first came to the team. Payton and Brees arrived to a team and city in complete shambles. Winston arrived to the closest thing there will be to the New England Patriots of the South.

also you cant make this up, their was a hurricane involved that hit new orleans around the same time they both joined the saints. Its crazy the similarites
True but it was a little different. Most of the real adversity of Katrina happened during Haz and Brooks last season and it included threat of relocation. By the time Drew and Sean arrived there was a plan to get our guys home. We had a practice with this years problems last year when we opted to stay out west instead of traveling back and forth for two west coast games in a row (NFL trying to put the screw down on us). Payton will spare no expense to keep this team focused.

I think you can’t really compare the 2 starts by simply looking at the stat line. The 2021 team is vastly more talented with more depth than the 2006 team with most stark difference being at the O-line and defense. Yes the 2006 WR group was probably better than the WR group from this week, but that’s about it.

These threads are 1000% foolish.

Jameis will never be Drew...and that's ok. He has a chance to flip the narrative on his career and author an incredible story, but to compare him to one of the greatest players in the history of the game is completely unfair.
Too early to compare.

These threads are 1000% foolish.

Jameis will never be Drew...and that's ok. He has a chance to flip the narrative on his career and author an incredible story, but to compare him to one of the greatest players in the history of the game is completely unfair.

I explicitly said in my post that I wasn't asserting that Jameis was going to be a Hall of Famer like Drew. I don't understand the point of your response. I was pointing out their similarities at this point of their respective careers. I did this to say that I feel Jameis will grow like Drew in Sean's system and that gives us something to look forward to as Saints fans. I never said he was Drew or would be good as Drew.

One game stat comparisons don’t do as much for me as others. Now averaging 20 or more games side by side… that starts to form a picture

Drew was still on a pitch count coming off of surgery, iirc. While he had been cleared to play, they were monitoring his arm.
This. Drew hardly threw the ball in the preseason and camp and he definitely wasn't pushing it down the field.

I remember the Cleveland game and being impressed with his poise but sort of concerned about his apparent lack of down-field ability (sounds familiar...).

It wasn't until that Packers game in Lambeau the next week where we saw Drew get cut loose a little more. He threw a couple of great touch passes that made me insanely excited.

Drew had some ups and downs that season - but the Cowboys SNF game was the "holy moly... got a good thing going here!!!" moment for Saints fans in relation to the potential of Brees.

I'm excited for what Jameis can do. Hopefully he does more of what he did Sunday and let the game come to him naturally and play smart.

I explicitly said in my post that I wasn't asserting that Jameis was going to be a Hall of Famer like Drew. I don't understand the point of your response. I was pointing out their similarities at this point of their respective careers. I did this to say that I feel Jameis will grow like Drew in Sean's system and that gives us something to look forward to as Saints fans. I never said he was Drew or would be good as Drew.
That's fine - it's a message board.

I don't understand the point of the thread, or the plethora of other threads/posts I have seen that in some way, shape, or form compare Jameis with Drew. Two completely different guys who played game #1 for the Saints with different teams, in different eras, and under different physical circumstances. The head coach may have been the same, but one played under a rookie head coach in his 1st game, and didn't serve as a backup under said head coach for the previous season learning a system that has been modified and tuned for over 15 years. Their respective careers leading up to game #1 as a Saint also weren't particularly similar.

There is nothing whatsoever to glean about Jameis' future potential by comparing Jameis to Drew. Not the first game, not the first season.

Let Jameis be his own guy, lead his own way, play his own way, win his own way. Enjoy him for what he is instead of what he is supposed to be. He neither looked nor played anything like peak Drew or otherwise out there on Sunday, yet he was effective and fun to watch. His energy and appreciation for the moment was infectious. I'm a fan. Let's move forward rather than look back. Drew is gone. The future is anyone's guess. Let's just see what happens and how Jameis develops. My $0.02.

The franchise was in totally different directions from 06 to 21.
Opening the 06 season, there was no expectations. The Saints were at the lowest a franchise has ever been. The closest I can think of was the Cleveland Browns after they took the three year break after Modell moved to Baltimore.
The 21 Saints were still expected to be competitive.

Here you're going to have the Brees haters coming out of the woodwork because they so desperately want to be right that it takes shirting on a hall of famer to do so.

I was very impressed with Jameis. It's his first start since 2019. Hopefully he can get better and be his own man and not have to compare himself to one of the greatest. I'm pulling for him to do that without having to denigrate a top 3 of all time QB.

Here you're going to have the Brees haters coming out of the woodwork because they so desperately want to be right that it takes shirting on a hall of famer to do so.

I was very impressed with Jameis. It's his first start since 2019. Hopefully he can get better and be his own man and not have to compare himself to one of the greatest. I'm pulling for him to do that without having to denigrate a top 3 of all time QB.
I didn't read the spirit of this post as the OP trying to denigrate Brees. I read it more as "hopefully Jameis will continue to grow as he gets comfortable in the system just as Brees did."

I didn't read this post as the OP trying to denigrate Brees. I read it more as "hopefully Jameis will continue to grow as he gets comfortable in the system just as Brees did."
I hope so. I'm talking more about others in the thread.

I get it. Brees was somewhat limited the last couple of years, but we still won a lot of games and the NFC South 4 years in a row. We should have gone to a Superbowl in 2018 if it wasn't for an NFL screw job (again).

I can root for the new guy without comparing him to our old HOFer in their first starts in completely different circumstances.

The 2021 Saints defense didn't have a 2006 Fred Thomas either if you're going to compare. thanks.

Winston is a way better talent than Drew Brees. but there are alot of QB's that were/are better talents than Drew yet its Drew who is at the top of most if not all passing charts.

I think in this offense with Payton as his coach Winston will have a remarkable year (bounce back year) and people will see how Winston add his playmaking ability to this QB position.

There are some coincidences, sure, but the situations could not be any more different, so at best one could say "hey look at the coincidences" , but not compare numbers or results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom