Jameis Winston 2020 (1 Viewer)

Point me to the professions. From what I've read and seen, a lot that have actually played the position say otherwise. *shrugs*

Yes. There is no debate that Arians' offense is a risk/reward scheme. There is a reason most has thrown career highs their first year into it.

And according to your graphic, in 4 years, he has basically 15 int and 4 1/2 fumbles lost per season? That what these numbers average out to. And did you were why they didn't do a per season but number of games. That's because Big Ben threw for more interceptions than Jameis during his time in the league, up until last year. So, if we go back and look, Big Ben ended the 2018 season with how many games? Take a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILD guess. (Hint: It's on the Jameis Winston graphic you just put up).

No problem man, I’ll provide you some.

Scouting Report #1

WEAKNESSES

Winston tries to do too much at times, which is what led to his 18 interceptions as a redshirt sophomore. He struggles to adapt to underneath coverage and was baited into turnovers there, throwing six interceptions on poor decisions. Winston isn’t a great athlete and can get caught in the pocket. He has a throwing motion—albeit improved—that can get a little long.

Scouting Report #2

Mental: B-

Decision-making is inconsistent, ranging from very good to poor, appearing to regress during the 2014 season. Can locate the open receiver, hit his check down, and throw receivers open when he is on. When he is off, he will throw into double or triple coverage and turn the ball over. Most of his mistakes come with quick throws, and actually shows the ability to go through progressions and make reads. Scans the field like few in college football do, but decision-making is lagging, as he is only a sophomore. Showed outstanding instincts and football IQ to be able to win a National Championship as a freshman.

Scouting Report #3

The least surprising No. 1 pick since the Colts started negotiating with Andrew Luck a month before he was selected in 2012, Winston will be the face of the Buccaneers franchise from Day 1, and head coach Lovie Smith has said that he’s comfortable with that. That great arm, though, could be his ultimate downfall—he believes so much in his ability to throw into tight windows that he’ll make some really questionable decisions leading to too many turnovers.

Scouting Report #4

His decision making took a dip this past season. He started trusting his arm a little too much and paid the price for it on several occasions. He only threw 10 picks in all of 2013, but he threw 18 in 2014. It looks like he struggles to pick up on coverages. When defenses mixed things up on him, he struggled. The clip below is a great example. The corner is playing the flats, but Winston thinks he's going with the underneath receiver. The defender drifts back just a Winston releases, grabbing the pick. His struggles with underneath zone coverages are alarming.

Ok, that’s enough for now. As it’s easy to see,. There were tons and tons of concerns coming out and there was also a lot to love about his potential. There were also many comparisons to Ryan Leaf.

The jury is still out on Winston and I hope Sean and Drew can help revive his career.

I re-read it now and it still looks to me like you are blaming his interceptions on the high risk/high reward system, but you want to claim the 5000 yds as his personal achievement.

[mod edit]

Anyway, you can't seriously read anything that I've read and say that his high yardage wasn't an added benefit of the *again* RISK and REWARD system that Arians run. So you can say both his yardage AND interceptions are the effects of systems ran. I don't claim anything but presenting what's in front of us. Bias helps people look at one sided. Taking the black and gold shades off, I can see that even though he had the interceptions and fumbles, he also accounted for most of the offense on one of the leagues most productive offenses, while having a garbage run game, offensive line that couldn't hold up to the long routes required in the system, a new offense (where Godwin said that half of the interceptions weren't his fault. Tape shows a lot of wrong routes being ran and half effort *cough*Evans*cough*), and a defense that didn't get it together until the end of the season. The crazy things that film can expose us to.

No problem man, I’ll provide you some.

Scouting Report #1

WEAKNESSES

Winston tries to do too much at times, which is what led to his 18 interceptions as a redshirt sophomore. He struggles to adapt to underneath coverage and was baited into turnovers there, throwing six interceptions on poor decisions. Winston isn’t a great athlete and can get caught in the pocket. He has a throwing motion—albeit improved—that can get a little long.

Scouting Report #2

Mental: B-

Decision-making is inconsistent, ranging from very good to poor, appearing to regress during the 2014 season. Can locate the open receiver, hit his check down, and throw receivers open when he is on. When he is off, he will throw into double or triple coverage and turn the ball over. Most of his mistakes come with quick throws, and actually shows the ability to go through progressions and make reads. Scans the field like few in college football do, but decision-making is lagging, as he is only a sophomore. Showed outstanding instincts and football IQ to be able to win a National Championship as a freshman.

Scouting Report #3

The least surprising No. 1 pick since the Colts started negotiating with Andrew Luck a month before he was selected in 2012, Winston will be the face of the Buccaneers franchise from Day 1, and head coach Lovie Smith has said that he’s comfortable with that. That great arm, though, could be his ultimate downfall—he believes so much in his ability to throw into tight windows that he’ll make some really questionable decisions leading to too many turnovers.

Scouting Report #4

His decision making took a dip this past season. He started trusting his arm a little too much and paid the price for it on several occasions. He only threw 10 picks in all of 2013, but he threw 18 in 2014. It looks like he struggles to pick up on coverages. When defenses mixed things up on him, he struggled. The clip below is a great example. The corner is playing the flats, but Winston thinks he's going with the underneath receiver. The defender drifts back just a Winston releases, grabbing the pick. His struggles with underneath zone coverages are alarming.

Ok, that’s enough for now. As it’s easy to see,. There were tons and tons of concerns coming out and there was also a lot to love about his potential. There were also many comparisons to Ryan Leaf.

The jury is still out on Winston and I hope Sean and Drew can help revive his career.
I take this scouting report and put it against what Hall of Fame QBs Terry Bradshaw, Bret Favre, Steve Young, Kurt Warner, and Warren Moon has said about him after his time in the league. You know, those that have actually played and excelled in the position.

At the end of the day, we got a #1 draft pick for basically nothing because a team didn't build around him. We will see how it goes if we have a preseason. I believe a lot of people will be surprised at what a change of system and environment can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't make any threads about Jameis Winston because you're going to get hate.

It's unfair but it is what it is.

So it was Arians system that caused the turnovers? Going into last year Winston turned the ball over more than any QB in the league over his ENTIRE career so far.

This stat is from the first week of Sept last season
I'm not defending or bagging on Winston because I want him to do well as a saint. I do find it interesting though that Carson Palmer and Winston both had career high turnovers (fumbles and pics) all in the first year under Bruce Arians.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom