Jameis Winston continues to earn my respect (1 Viewer)

We're watching the guy go from young man to full adult right before our eyes. I don't know if it was a year or 2 in our culture or normal maturation (probably both) but its exciting to see.

I'd always been supportive and hopeful for Winston to succeed if/when the time came. Because of how things played out before he became starter (team coming from playoff loss and DB retiring, QB battle, salary cap hell, no real offensive weapon other than Kamara etc.) I was still on the fence about the impact he'd actually have.

And then this happened:

It wasn't the lopsided score that impressed me most about what's possible with Winston's QB play because this game was, for sure, a team win. EVERYBODY played lights out for the most part. GB thought they'd roll us and came out flat and couldn't turn it on against the defense.

What was most impressive was watching Winston translate what he'd learned from Drew and Payton on to the field: Efficiency! It doesn't get much more efficient than 14-20 148yds 37 rushing 5 TDs with a skeleton crew. That might've been the cherry on top for him that season but I think that game spoke volumes about the potential with Winston at QB with better coaching, HOF mentoring, and maturation.

With that version of Winston and all the new weapons on both sides of the ball, there's good reason to be excited about this season. I know I am!

I really hope this is the year it all comes together. Honestly I think it would have had he not been hurt on an illegal horse collar.

Two things about Winston that have always been misunderstood: His overall intelligence, including football IQ, and his work ethic. Because of some of the goofiness and earlier off field issues, most people view him as just a dumb athlete. Jameis is very bright. Good GPA while in college, good wonderlic score, met the qualifications to have played for Stanford if he had wanted. The dude is bright. Also, he applies it to study of playbook and lives in the field room and is the first in last out type guy when it comes to practice. Very hard worker and team leader type persona. Lot of upside if he can put it together. He is only 28 and could have 10 solid years ahead of him still if he truly takes it to the next level.

I think JW has the potential to be a top 5 QB in the NFL. I hope he reaches that potential as a Saint....we will see....

The crab legs incident was always super sus. The story was flipped into “Jameis Winston stole crab legs”, but the video clearly showed the store owner compliant in Jameis taking them. You can also tell he’s completely comfortable grabbing and walking out with no hesitation.

Someone showed the suspension difference between “stealing” and accepting gifts from outside parties and it was like 2-4 games compared to an entire season. Basically, they gave him free 💩 and to save their season, he “stole” them.

Guess I've been a fan longer than most (except when he QB'd vs our Saints)! My daughters an FSU Alumni so it was a natural instinct to follow his football and baseball successes. And I loved that he turned down Saben at Alabama for FSU.

Attachments

• Jameis Championship.jpg
    Jameis Championship.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom