Saints Jameis Winston to N.O (merged - officially signed) (1 Viewer)

Of course not all accusations of rape are true and we should never automatically believe accusations. The thing is, Florida State had to settle a Title IX lawsuit with one of Winston's female accusers for $950,000; universities don't pay out that kind of money when there's nothing there. Florida State had handled the woman's case so badly that it had to commit to a five-year sexual assault awareness and prevention program. And then Winston paid the woman a settlement in a separate civil suit to prevent the case from going to court. And, of course, there is the Uber incident. And the crab legs incident. And the 30 picks last year with 7 pick-sixes (new NFL record) don't exactly speak to great decision making on the field either. Teddy Bridgewater was an incredible leaders with tremendous character. Jameis Winston not so much.

I’m not arguing you, genuinely curious...

Were there ever any details released on this? Because sexual assault is a broad term.

I really don’t give a crap about 2021 at this point, so if that’s what you’re after - go for it. But for now I think Payton would rather a veteran, capable 2 so that Taysom can continue to do what he does. In several key games down the stretch (including the playoff loss) Taysom was our best offensive player not named Michael Thomas.

Yeah I agree. That's completely fair.

But I also believe that if he truly believed Hill to be the future, having him get real game QB experience would be more valuable than 20 plays a game as a special teams player and gadget guy.

Further, it says he doesn't believe Hill is ready now to start an NFL game. So the expectation is that a 31 year old player is going to suddenly develop the ability to throw accurate passes? That seems.. unique.

where is the side of the story that says that what was in those emails was more than what she says were in there. If someone claims to have seen the emails and they include more than transparency advice, then I am interested in knowing the truth there too. The court has ruled on both issues but our personal opinions of what did and didn't happen are not held to the same legal procedures. So on both issues I will take all the facts that are available and try to form an opinion.

Fair. But I think you've got some unintentional double standards. Bountygate, Vicodin theft, and the alleged church thing are probably a worse look as a body of work for the Bensons than stealing crab legs** and alleged sexual assault.

** I think employees were letting him take free stuff and he took the heat instead of snitching. But that's not really material to the discussion.

Knowing SP...

Jameis won't throw the ball over 20 yards for 6 months.
What he did with Drew
What he did with Teddy

He probably shouldn’t unpack.
my assumption is that he’s here to give Brees’ arm a rest during training camp and then will be shipped to a team that loses a QB in the preseason.

Fair. But I think you've got some unintentional double standards. Bountygate, Vicodin theft, and the alleged church thing are probably a worse look as a body of work for the Bensons than stealing crab legs** and alleged sexual assault.

** I think employees were letting him take free stuff and he took the heat instead of snitching. But that's not really material to the discussion.

well this is about personal opinions not legal procedure so we differ fairly extensively. I could care less about bounties, pain pills and crab legs for that matter. Sexual allegations are a whole different ball game. And its not about feeling like prosecution should have been handled different. The procedure was handled to the extent that it could be. But do I think there was something more there than could be proven in court and do I think that anything was done to redeem a person if they were guilty. That is the issue that must be moved past.

The Church issue was a much better comparison IMO because if there was something there then it is something I would want to know and would have to adjust how I feel about the team. But apparently there was nothing there.

The Church issue was a much better comparison IMO because if there was something there then it is something I would want to know and would have to adjust how I feel about the team. But apparently there was nothing there.

That's one side of the story. Isn't the case ongoing?

We should prob stop thread jacking though. Point I'm making is that the sexual assault is still alleged, and everything else he's done has been immature harmless silliness.

I'm more concerned about his mental grasp of football than his character.

Any idea what the rest of the team around Manning looked like compared to the offense Winston had at his disposal? Because I'm old enough to remember...

What having some best running backs of all time in Marshall Faulk when he was a rookie and then Edgerrin James in his second season? As well as one of the top 100 players in Marvin Harrison as a receiver as a rookie till Marvin retired? I guess you don’t remember cause I can’t recall Jameis EVER having a running back to lean on like those two

What having some best running backs of all time in Marshall Faulk when he was a rookie and then Edgerrin James in his second season? As well as one of the top 100 players in Marvin Harrison as a receiver as a rookie till Marvin retired? I guess you don’t remember cause I can’t recall Jameis EVER having a running back to lean on like those two

True.

Different eras though. College guys now are much more NFL ready. It's an apples to oranges comparison

......uh, Winston will be the primary backup.

People really think Taysom Hill is ready to be the starter but constantly miss the signs that he isn't one being Teddy taking over the reigns when Brees went down and now the signing of Winston who threw for 5000 yrds and 33 touchdowns last season......Winston is getting a try out to be Brees replacement, bank on that.

I agree. Hill will continue to get snaps all over (but maybe not on special teams) and will get more QB snaps. But, if Brees is down for any length of time Winston would play. I think they still like Hill as a starting QB, but they want to give him one more year to develop to see if he will be ready next year. Having Winston is insurance that they floor of QB play can only drop so low and it's competition for Taysom Hill for the future QB job. The way Hill's deal is structured, tells me this is very likely Brees' last year.

That's one side of the story. Isn't the case ongoing?

We should prob stop thread jacking though. Point I'm making is that the sexual assault is still alleged, and everything else he's done has been immature harmless silliness.

agreed. This thread isn't about how we feel about it. Any discussion of it would be better continued in that thread.

I think fans tend to allow "but he's just so likable and hard working" to take the place of "who is best suited for that position?"

Taysom plays his *** off and grins after just about every play............and he connected on a deep pass in the Minny game to Deonte Harris in which Harris had to turn around and wait for it like he was fielding a punt...............so as a result, we should consider him more ready than a 5k yard passer who won a national title and has been a multi-season starter in the NFL?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom