Saints Jameis Winston to N.O (merged - officially signed) (2 Viewers)

A few things here I would like to add. Winston hasn't played with adequate protection before. He will have it here. The last time Winston had a running game, he won the NCAA championship (see Dalvin Cook).

Winston was also the starting QB last year for what is now our highest competition within our division, and possibly our conference. That alone makes this a killer signing having him in the meeting room day in day out.

Maybe he buys into the culture here, and develops into a leader. I know I for one matured significantly in my late twenties. Maybe he can follow suit. I for one love this potential signing.

I think his issue was primarily that he was looked to as being "the guy" which won't be the case here.

I'm a lifelong Bucs fan, and an FSU grad that has followed every snap Jameis Winston has taken since his college debut in 2013. I thought I'd venture over here to chime in on a player I'm sad to see go to a division rival.

Most fans nationally picture JW as a turnover machine on the field, and a boneheaded loser off it. They have all seen the infamous "eat a W" speech, which even Bucs fans found incredibly bizarre. But, they never heard about the time during his rookie season when JW hand wrote personal letters to each of his teammates in an effort to turn the season around. They hear about the comments Jameis made during a visit to a local elementary school that were perceived as telling little girls to "be silent," (which was actually the opposite of what he was trying to say), but they don't hear about the dozens of youth camps JW hosts every off season, or the charity work he did throughout the Tampa community during his time here.

Contrary to what many believe, JW was a model citizen 99% of his time in Tampa. The 1% gets most of the attention (and rightly so in some cases), but he was a hard working player that loves his teammates and the game of football. He was also a devoted member of the Tampa community that made every effort to give back - especially to the youth in the area. He is a lightning rod, for sure, when it comes to negative media attention, but I think Saints fans will be pleasantly surprised by his work ethic, his devotion to his craft, and his positive influence with his teammates and in the locker room. He was always a team first guy. By almost every account, he was the hardest worker in the building and his teammates loved him.

I don't know how this will work out for JW, but I can say with certainty that the Bucs mishandled his career in almost every conceivable way. The best way to develop a young QB (and keep in mind that JW was a 21 year old redshirt sophomore when he was drafted #1 overall) is to provide them with a strong O-line, a strong running game, and a strong defense. With the exception of a strong running game during his rookie year, the Bucs never provided JW with any of these. Even worse, instead of providing them, they put JW in a high risk, vertical passing scheme that required long drops and downfield, tight window throws WITH poor blocking up front and no threat of a run game. No QB will be successful under those terms, much less a young QB that is still learning how to play the position.

JW has a ridiculous amount of talent, but the Bucs never took the right route to teach him how to be a professional QB. If the Saints can hit the rewind button, and teach him how to crawl before he walks (the Bucs asked him to run sprints the moment he left the womb!), then he truly could be the face of the franchise type player.

Last edited:
I'm a lifelong Bucs fan, and an FSU grad that has followed every snap Jameis Winston has taken since his college debut in 2013. I thought I'd venture over here to chime in on a player I'm sad to see go to a division rival.

Most fans nationally picture JW as a turnover machine on the field, and a boneheaded loser off it. They have all seen the infamous "eat a W" speech, which even Bucs fans found incredibly bizarre. But, they never heard about the time during his rookie season when JW hand wrote personal letters to each of his teammates in an effort to turn the season around. They hear about the comments Jameis made during a visit to a local elementary school that were perceived as telling little girls to "be silent," (which was actually the opposite of what he was trying to say), but they don't hear about the dozens of youth camps JW hosts every off season, or the charity work he did throughout the Tampa community during his time here.

Contrary to what many believe, JW was a model citizen 99% of his time in Tampa. The 1% gets most of the attention (and rightly so in some cases), but he was a hard working player that loves his teammates and the game of football. He was also a devoted member of the Tampa community that made every effort to give back - especially to the youth in the area. He is a lightning rod, for sure, when it comes to negative media attention, but I think Saints fans will be pleasantly surprised by his work ethic, his devotion to his craft, and his positive influence with his teammates and in the locker room. He was always a team first guy. By almost every account, he was the hardest worker in the building and his teammates loved him.

I don't know how this will work out for JW, but I can say with certainty that the Bucs mishandled his career in almost every conceivable way. The best way to develop a young QB (and keep in mind that JW was a 21 year old redshirt sophomore when he was drafted #1 overall) is to provide them with a strong O-line, a strong running game, and a strong defense. With the exception of a strong running game during his rookie year, the Bucs never provided JW with any of these. Even worse, instead of providing them, they put JW in a high risk, vertical passing scheme that required long drops and downfield, tight window throws WITH poor blocking up front and no threat of a run game. No QB will be successful under those terms, much less a young QB that is still learning how to play the position.

JW has a ridiculous amount of talent, but the Bucs never took the right route to teach him how to be a professional QB. If the Saints can hit the rewind button, and teach him how to crawl before he walks (the Bucs asked him to run sprints the moment he left the womb!), then he truly could be the face of the franchise type player.
Thanks for the visit and post. I like the move a lot and believe that Drew and Coach Payton have respected Jameis for quite sometime. If they like the move then I like the move. For me, I am glad to have a cannon for an arm for once. He seems like a nice guy and the stuff you point out back that up.

Does this mean we can't make fun of Winston anymore?

Yikes if true

Attachments

• 870EE072-2585-48C2-8B59-2A5727E01A00.png
    870EE072-2585-48C2-8B59-2A5727E01A00.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 66
No one seems to be talking about how we just scored the guy who was running the offense of what is now our biggest obstacle. We get a legit backup on the cheap who could win games if called upon - and he’s a wealth of information for what could be our biggest hurdle to the Super Bowl. Weirdo yes, but this is a great move in my opinion.

JW was a model citizen 99% of his time in Tampa. The 1% gets most of the attention.
The exact same thing can be said about Ted Bundy. A model citizen 99% of the time, he was even the director at the Seattle Crime Prevention Advisory Commission. It's that last 1% that gets all the attention.

Beat me to it.

4:01 PM ET tomorrow, teams can sign players without it impacting their 2021 comp picks.
Is the deadline tomorrow? In previous years it's been the second Tuesday after the draft. At least it was last year (draft was on April 25-27 and the deadline was May 7th).
Now that we have an arm again at QB. Is Ted the right deep threat? Sanders is more of a 10-20 yard / flat / curl guy right? Or do I have that wrong?
👀

Nasty corner-post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom