Jameis Winston turned down a "more lucrative" contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

I think there's more to it than that. The culture in Pittsburgh is downright toxic, has been ever since AB left and Ben has only continued it/made it worse (e.g. his attitude toward drafting a QB.). Add in the subpar/rebuilding roster, an above average HC, and you have someone holding a sign over the team saying "stay away". Especially so for someone like Winston, who needs to rebuild his career.

Then you look in the other corner and you see a pair of GOATS in Drew and SP, along with one of the best rosters in the league. Winston no doubt knows about Bridgewater and what SP did for his career, add in the fact that there's the large, looming question of the post-Brees era Saints. There's a real chance for him to fall bass-ackwards into a starting position on a top 5 roster, assuming he can fix his decision making and stupid actions (on and off the field). Winston isn't an idiot, it's an easy choice for most QBs to make.

As someone who lives in the edge of Steelers territory, this makes my month...and I didn't even want Winston. The Steelers are right up there with the Falcons as teams I hate. They might even be worse.

I think there's more to it than that. The culture in Pittsburgh is downright toxic, has been ever since AB left and Ben has only continued it/made it worse (e.g. his attitude toward drafting a QB.). Add in the subpar/rebuilding roster, an above average HC, and you have someone holding a sign over the team saying "stay away". Especially so for someone like Winston, who needs to rebuild his career.

Then you look in the other corner and you see a pair of GOATS in Drew and SP, along with one of the best rosters in the league. Winston no doubt knows about Bridgewater and what SP did for his career, add in the fact that there's the large, looming question of the post-Brees era Saints. There's a real chance for him to fall bass-ackwards into a starting position on a top 5 roster, assuming he can fix his decision making and stupid actions (on and off the field). Winston isn't an idiot, it's an easy choice for most QBs to make.

It's never an easy decision for a professional athlete to turn down more money.

who knows, maybe the light comes on watching Brees and how he prepares daily. and how the team is run overall. im sure he and Hill can battle it out for next year.

It's the smart play for Winston. He's damaged goods right now. The league sees him (justifiably) as a talented head case, an interception machine that cannot and will not lead a team to a championship.

A year at the best QB grad school in the league is just what the doctor ordered for him. Professors Brees and Payton will not tolerate any nonsense in their seminar and if Winston can remake himself even somewhat in the mold of Brees, that will address the precise concerns over preparation, leadership and mental make up that has league GMs down on Winston right now. He has the physical talent, but he needs a character make over. Don't know if that's possible, but right now he's a former number one overall pick sliding toward the XFL. If that doesn't sober him up this year, nothing will.
Great post... i posted similar yesterday... All I would add is the overall leadership on this team is far superior to Pitt....Cam Jordan politicked for him... If Jameis starts mis behaving I can see Cam and Drew pulling him aside and straightening him out quick

I mean... Look at Pittsburgh being really suspect and compare that to us.

We treated Teddy like gold. We traded for him. Let him take everything day by day. Let him trust his body and never gave up on him. Pay him a lot of money and never put pressure on him. He flourished in a time of need and fans adore and love him.

You guys wonder why certain players take discounts... Or why Saints treat players way nicer than a dynasty like the Patriots? This is why. Player see this and want to be apart of it.

Winston is lucky to be here, but he's no Teddy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom