Podcast James "Route God" Everett on training Jameis Winston, Saints wide receivers -- Interview With Nick Underhill (1 Viewer)

I am not keeping up these days. Who is James Everett? (Glad that LoE joined me in needing to ask.)

And I get that he is the route god. But I can't find much else about him.

I think TQS and Callaway are talented. To me the biggest issue is this, can these players stay healthy.
I really think both players are gonna exploded.

I kind of worry about Thomas, tho. Winston and Thomas chemistry was bad Tho. Thomas operate in tight coverage with tight ball placement. So. I worry a little bit that Winston most likely place to get picked off feels like when targeting Thomas because he'll be bracketed. Thomas isn't a raw athlete separation guy. He creates separation off of technique. So, the windows are tight.

That was a great video and insight into some of our young players. His descriptions of the players was encouraging and much better than what the keyboard warriors have to say about the players. Juwan Johnson looks big and to hear him described as smooth was good to hear.
Yeah... but, this guy works for Johnson, TQS, Callaway, Winston, and Tony Jones... what else is he going to say? He wants to grow his business and get more clients, so he’s definitely gonna hype his current clients up as much as possible.

I’m sure he sees some good things from all of these guys, and he did mention that they all have things they need to work on, but he kind of became transparent when he started saying he sees big things for Tony Jones Jr.

It sounds like he and Jameis Winston are friends, and Winston basically put him on the map as a trainer... Winston brought him all of these Saints guys... he mentioned he worked with Chris Godwin, and we know Godwin and Winston are friends, so that’s why Godwin went with this guy... etc...
Point is, this dude owes Winston a ton... so yeah, he’s definitely gonna have nothing but great things to say about him.

Yeah... but, this guy works for Johnson, TQS, Callaway, Winston, and Tony Jones... what else is he going to say? He wants to grow his business and get more clients, so he’s definitely gonna hype his current clients up as much as possible.

I’m sure he sees some good things from all of these guys, and he did mention that they all have things they need to work on, but he kind of became transparent when he started saying he sees big things for Tony Jones Jr.

It sounds like he and Jameis Winston are friends, and Winston basically put him on the map as a trainer... Winston brought him all of these Saints guys... he mentioned he worked with Chris Godwin, and we know Godwin and Winston are friends, so that’s why Godwin went with this guy... etc...
Point is, this dude owes Winston a ton... so yeah, he’s definitely gonna have nothing but great things to say about him.

Yes, it is obvious this guy is going to say a bunch of positive things about each guy because he does work for them. He is trying to promote his business and grow his brand. However, he did give insight on each player and not from the opinion of some forum poster or Youtube podcaster, but from someone who is working with/training them. The positive he had on Tony Jones Jr. were the same positives when he was coming out of college. He knows what it will take to make RB3 or higher and he's working on it. Murray is 31 and Washington is already 27 and hasn't shown much so there's definitely and opportunity to move up the depth chart or at least be ready when the time comes.

Jones also physically comps to PT and we know what SP did with PT in his system.

Thomas measured in at 5-10 1/2 and 209 pounds at his pro day and ran a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash. Jones measured in at 5-10 and 220 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine and ran a 4.68. Thomas had a 7.12 in the three-cone drill and a 4.31 in the 20-yard shuttle, while Jones ran a 7.18 in the three-cone drill and a 4.21 in the 20-yard shuttle.

Tre'Quan has had a few years to show what he's got, and he's shown to be a serviceable WR. He's not going to be a WR1 or maybe even a WR2. It would have shown up by now. And that's fine. We need a WR3.
Calloway definitely has potential. Maybe without Sanders ahead of him, he could step up and fill that #2 spot? He's shown flashes, but needs that to be more then norm than the exception.

Good to see everyone putting in the work. Let's see what it translates to out on the field.

I say wait and see how he does this year! He was a deep threat in college. If we are completely honest, he was useless in our offense because we changed all WR routes to short slants. If doesn’t do anything this year with a deep passing QB, then I’m down to give up.

That was a great video and insight into some of our young players. His descriptions of the players was encouraging and much better than what the keyboard warriors have to say about the players. Juwan Johnson looks big and to hear him described as smooth was good to hear.
I think most keyboard warriors are inclined to have a lot of reservations, based on the fact none of the players mentioned have done anything yet, that indicates they are NFL quality players. They do not have to be in the discussion of top tier NFL players, but must be NFL quality. Myself, like every other Saints fan, want to see them become NFL quality for obvious reasons. If they end up as duds, well then we can say this staff and co. has done a bad job in their evaluations. Stay tuned as always, and let’s hope they truly become NFL quality players.

I wish there was something higher than just a FDL "like" or could double "like"! I was going to say almost the same thing.

I think he brings some different and good skills to present to WR's, but he is a product of the Winston "hype camp". There are a lot of "fringe" things he brings to his training that I don't think necessarily translate to "bringing a player to the next level". He is "IN" the loops because of Winston and part of that high profile, social media machine. Anything that can push a player and get them working on areas of need is going to be a plus, but he would be working in capacity of an NFL team if his results were high. This is my "knee jerk" opinion watching his videos and such over the last months. Does he have return players?

No matter what, it is good to see team guys together getting reps. Do these drills and workouts make them better players for the Saints or just get them bonding as men/football players? You can do a TON of work, but does it translate. Winston has always worked hard and "overworked". His QB coach at TB said that. In the long run, did it make you a better QB or WR for your team?

I hope that players will gravitate to WHOEVER gets the starting nod and not have an "all in only with Winston" mindset because they worked out with him and were a part of the machine, which could have some division in the locker room. CSP will have NONE of that and will not be swayed by popular opinion. I do know that Winston really seems to be following the "TEAM FIRST" narrative and if he continues to be able to keep that narrative with actions, will be great asset to the team whether he starts or if he doesn't, supporting the starter and keeping focused when he IS called. It seemed to be that last season he didn't show any negatives of attitude or waning support of Hill or anyone in the QB room and that is a plus!! I just hope he keeps those actions up and not decide to go "Jameis Winston time" if things don't go his way.

I don't need to reiterate things you already wrote, which I agree with 100%.

Another article on the "Route God":

WHO IS ROUTE GOD?​

James Everett, aka Route God, hosted the Saints teammates on location in Florida. The football trainer was a star wide receiver and cornerback for Denver’s George Washington High School. He played collegiate football for ASA College in Miami, Florida, for the 2016-17 season.

In a recent interview with Steelers Takeaways, Everett described his evolution from player to trainer. “It started off with training myself. I wanted to be better and looked at how others were doing it. I used my phone to video myself and others – watched how they were doing it and built my training that way. Other guys saw how I was doing it and asked to work with me. I said, “Sure, come on. Let’s do it!” Everett said.

Steelers perspective on the "Route God":

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom