James Webb Space Telescope (3 Viewers)

It's not, but seems like it's plenty for the way they're sending the data back each day. Before I read the article, I thought there was no one that 68 GB was enough.
Yeah, if it's sort of like temporary storage, that would make sense.

Looking more like a horrifying psychedelic swirl from a Marvel movie than the spiral galaxy shape familiar from visual telescopes, the new James Webb Space Telescope image shows the dusty skeleton of the distant galaxy NGC 628.

“This is a galaxy that probably looks a lot like what we think our own Milky Way looks like,” Gabriel Brammer, an astronomer at the Cosmic Dawn Center in the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen, who shared the image on Twitter Monday, told The Independent in an interview. “You can see all these knots of individual stars forming, individual supernovae have gone off and really study that in detail.”

The spiral arms of NGC 628 have been imaged before, but the images of the galaxy taken in visible light by the Hubble Space Telescope don’t look anything like the purple spiral structure seen in Webb’s mid-infrared image…….

382677D9-BEE7-43AA-8D9B-7038FDADE4D3.jpeg
Webb

C3AEFED3-EB2E-4025-8FB0-15AA9A29EBDC.jpeg
Hubble

Keep in mind folks that the pictures that you are seeing from JWST is NOT what you would see if you sitting next to that space camera. Most of the light from those galaxies are not in a wavelength that is visible to humans.

It’s wonderful that we now know all of that universe structure that’s out there, but without that data being converted to images that we can see, it would not exist to human eyes. Yes, it’s truly awesome! But it IS being ‘doctored’ in order for us to be able to enjoy the pictures.

Keep in mind folks that the pictures that you are seeing from JWST is NOT what you would see if you sitting next to that space camera. Most of the light from those galaxies are not in a wavelength that is visible to humans.

It’s wonderful that we now know all of that universe structure that’s out there, but without that data being converted to images that we can see, it would not exist to human eyes. Yes, it’s truly awesome! But it IS being ‘doctored’ in order for us to be able to enjoy the pictures.
Damn! TIL Hugh Hefner perfected technology that profoundly impacted both biology and astronomy education.

I think it's very cool to see what will happen when the Milky Way and Andromeda finally collide. It's like getting a preview of a movie we'll never see.
This is something that I've wondered about

I'm sure galaxies colliding/merging is a very slow process, but if it was happening right now, how would we here on Earth perceive it?

Just the stars being different or other effects?

I think it's very cool to see what will happen when the Milky Way and Andromeda finally collide. It's like getting a preview of a movie we'll never see.
A movie five billion years from now if the Earth makes it to that point.

*sigh*

this is why we can't have nice things

This news makes me upset. I know it's a harsh environment and we aren't really able to control things, but dang. At least give us a little time to get some good data. Unfortunately, this is something we'll have to deal with until we can invent Star Trek style shields.

This news makes me upset. I know it's a harsh environment and we aren't really able to control things, but dang. At least give us a little time to get some good data. Unfortunately, this is something we'll have to deal with until we can invent Star Trek style shields.
I don't know that inventing the shields would be that difficult. We already have the theory on how to do warp travel as well but we don't have a source of energy that can do it yet.

Another reason why getting fusion to work is so important

This is something that I've wondered about

I'm sure galaxies colliding/merging is a very slow process, but if it was happening right now, how would we here on Earth perceive it?

Just the stars being different or other effects?
We won't be around when it happens, but if we were, it takes the Milky Way something like 200 million years to spin one time. Assumining we were on the outside edge of the collision, it would take a long time for us to see the effects or be in danger. But, like Tapxe mentioned, we won't be around when that happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom