Jamie Collins lots of sacks and tackles [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

If he's there in the 3rd, you have to think hard about taking him just on principle. Those numbers are unreal.

Let's not get caught in the Al Davis trap of falling in love with someone's measurables. We need football players not freak athletes. That said, he is pretty damn freakish! Late round pick maybe?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_HTntm8OTRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this video supports the previous notion of 4-5th... imo - some definite bright spots, but still getting beat by blocks and not so great coverage. The tackle at :42 was very impressive... had my heart rate jump up a bit :D

You have to remember that the results he had last year were despite some of the worst coaching of all time.

More videos (from previous years):

Jamie Collins vs Houston last year

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EdfOVU3dtSo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

97 yard Int TD

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1cE-nPkmQiM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Let's not get caught in the Al Davis trap of falling in love with someone's measurables. We need football players not freak athletes. That said, he is pretty damn freakish! Late round pick maybe?

I tend to agree, but it's not like the kid didn't produce. 92 tackles and 10 sacks this year? That's pretty darn good production...

He is from Bude Mississippi which is basicallay between Natchez and Brookhaven Mississippi. He played at Franklin County high school where I watched him play a few games. He was there the same time that Marcus Tillman went to school there who was a one time LSU commitment, but changed to Ole Miss when Ed Orgeron was there. Jamie was their quarterback at the time and his high school coach posted on a LSU message boards back in the day saying how good this guy was, and looks like he was correct.

Looks stiff in coverage, kind of limited. Great explosion though. 5th-6th rounder.

He has football stats as well, he is a football player first.

He can block FGs too.

1221S12_Collins.jpg

At one point in 2011 it looked like he would be a top 20 pick. Here is my take on Collins from a few months ago.

I highly doubt he will be a day 2 prospect. He could find himself in the late first with a good showing at the combine. He has ideal size and if the reports coming out of USM that he'll run a 4.5 are true then he will fly up the board. He projects best as a 43 WLB or 34 ILB but played safety some and played well. Then he also played DE and was pretty damn good there too.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4zz0XCGsDVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1cE-nPkmQiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_HTntm8OTRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The big question on him is motor and desire. This last season he took a lot of plays of, avoided contact, looked worn down at times and didn't hussle. This didn't start showing up until this last season under a new coach in which USM went from 11-2 to 0-11. He also played a lot of DE and WLB in a 43 over where he lined up on the line of scrimmage which doesn't put him in the best positioin for success. If you want the last film you can see at times he suddenly has this spark and you can see it before the snap. When you see the intense player before the snap he makes some amazing plays. How much of that had to do with being on a really bad team, playing out of position and being on the field for long stretches is the big question.

When he is loafing around he reminds me of Sedrick Hodge, when he shows a lot of effort he is a guy that should go in the first round.

Because of this he is the type of guy that put a lot of eggs in the combine and Senior Bowl. If he shows well in both he'll go first day, perhaps even late first round. If he doesn't he could fall to the 5th round.

Another big question is how he will be in pass coverage since he was rarely asked to play any sort of man coverage. He was good in zone but just don't know. If he can play man, get some good coaching and stay at WLB long enough for him to really learn the position then he could really be something special.

Kind of similar but Collins doesn't lack instinct. He has this Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde thing going. You really just don't know what you will get from one play to the next. Sometimes you don't know what you will get from him in the same play. I've seen plays go to the other side of the field and he would mail it in then the play came back towards him and he suddenly looked like a lion going in for the kill. Again, you didn't see this from him the season before when he played in space more, was on a good team and had a coach that wasn't being chased around by an angry mob. Wish I could find some film when he played safety a couple years ago when the top 3 safeties were all injured. The guy was an animal and there was no questioning his instincts or desire. Very unique prospect. Side note, USM's 2012 season was a disaster. In 2011 they went 12-2, won Conference USA by crushing then undefeated Houston. They then went to Hawaii and won their bowl game. In 2012 they went 0-12 which made them team that fell the farthest from season to the next in the history of college football (all divisions). We're talking about the worst out of 20,000 teams. He was in a unique situation to say the least. To top it off, he was easily the best player on the team and the new coach had him playing out of position in his senior season getting ready for the draft. There were some loud rumors that Ellis Johnson was hated by the players because when he came in he was benching players and moving them out of position just to try and show he was in control. USM couldn't fire him quick enough even though they couldn't afford it which makes me think the rumors had some legs. So that is the big question that could probably be answered at the Senior Bowl. NFL coaches and scouts should get some insight in interviews, practice and on the field.

The guy had 10 sacks on a winless team. And it was the first year he played DE. He is actually a LB that happens to be a great pass rusher and has the perfect body and measurables of a 3-4 OLB.

eh.. project player - I'd take him in the 4th or 5th if available though:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pgo4xXFTA84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He gets manhandled by the line pretty often - can get to the QB if free. Can't break blocks and not great in coverage (though I'm basing this off one game's film - maybe a 3rd ... but what I'm seeing, he's a freakish athlete with potential, but someone that needs lots of work)
Looks pretty good, needs coaching

Man, this guy can potentially be a stud. I would love if the Saints picked this guy up.

Looks stiff in coverage, kind of limited. Great explosion though. 5th-6th rounder.

I just read your Quote. What is the critics football credentials? Just asking so that I will know the next time I watch a football game and can really analyze a player. By the way, I wonder how many times the reviewer saw him play?

The man Jamie Collins just plays football.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom