Jamie Collins OLB, USM (2 Viewers)

Cougar 1

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Dont know if he's been talked about before, but I never heard about him until Mike Mayock beamed about him after the Combine. If the top OLBs arent available for us at 15, maybe we can trade down, pick up a second rd pick, and get him:

SouthernMiss_logo.gif
Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss
Height: 6-3. Weight: 250. Arm: 33 3/8. Hand 9 7/8
40 Time: 4.64.
Projected Round (2013): 2-4.
3/2/13: The fast and physical Collins was a consistent producer for Southern Miss. The senior totaled 92 tackles with 10 sacks, 20 tackles for a loss, five passes batted and four forced fumbles this season. He racked up 98 tackles with 19.5 tackles for a loss, 6.5 sacks, eight passes broken up, one forced fumble and one interception in 2011.

Collins put a serious athletic skill set on display at the Combine. He was fast, strong and fluid. Collins is an interesting prospect whoc could either be a 3-4 outside linebacker or as a 4-3 linebacker. An injury knocked him out of the Senior Bowl.

He also did 19 reps, had an 11'7' broad jump, and a 41 1/2 in vert. at the Combine.

Worth a looksee for sure!

Beast, saints met w him at the combine

There were a few things that stuck out for me. For one, his overall stats from 2011 to 2012 were consistent, but his sack total went up. That tells me he's very solid, but also might juuust be turning the corner as a passrusher.

Then there's his athlectism, which he put on display at the Combine. Very good 40 time, but that 11'7 broad and the 41 1/2 vert probably caught lotsa eyes as well.

But the one word that really caught my eye from the report, was FLUID. When a player with his size puts up those kinds of impressive numbers, usually the "knock" word, STIFF would follow. Not the case with Collins.

So its good to hear that the Saints met with him! :9:

Wouldn't be shocked to see us take him at 15. Seems like he would be a safer pick than Ansah, Jones, Mingo, Jordan, Lotulelei and has as just as high of a ceiling. He blew up the combine...4.64 forty,11'7 broad jump which lead all linebackers, 41.5 vertical leap which came 1 inch away from the ALL TIME record at the combine of 42.5 !!! Trading back and still getting him would be great but I doubt he makes it too far past 15. His athleticism is off the charts. Pair him with Lofton, Wilson, Galette and we have a nice core of LBs to build around.

Would we take either Mingo, Jones, Ansah or Jordan in round 1 and then Jamie Collins in round 3? Or is that too much linebacker for us?

Would we take either Mingo, Jones, Ansah or Jordan in round 1 and then Jamie Collins in round 3? Or is that too much linebacker for us?

If we cant get any of the others, I see him as a good Plan B in the 2nd rd.

he has more production on the field and combine numbers than anyone, I would rather have this guy than Jordan or Mingo

19.5 and 20 tackles for a loss his last two years, 18 passes deflected his last three years, 10 sacks his last year.

always improved his production on the prior year, No other OLB prospect has production even close, and his athletic ability is tops, Mingo might be a hair faster .01sec , but tons lighter and probably not as fast when he puts on this much weight. and his 10 yard split is only .01 sec faster

to me , this guy is Plan A, well I want a corner, but if we go OLB this is the way to go.

It's hard to really judge a player on a team that loses every game and gives up about 40 pts to Rice, Memphis, and UTEP. I'm a USM alumni and fan but I have no idea how he'd fare against top talent. P-rob was another player who stood out on a very bad team, but At least F-state played more good teams. This would be a big gamble that could pay off or really miss. Taking him at 15, I'm just not sure.

He's a legit darkhorse at #15 in my honest opinion. If we don't get him there, then I don't see a chance he lasts until our 3rd. The Failcons need a LB, and they'll pick twice after our 1st; the 49ers pick at least 3 times between our 1st and 3rd, and he's got to be on their radar as well. Then there's the other 29 teams.

It's hard to really judge a player on a team that loses every game and gives up about 40 pts to Rice, Memphis, and UTEP. I'm a USM alumni and fan but I have no idea how he'd fare against top talent. P-rob was another player who stood out on a very bad team, but T least F-state played more good teams. This would be a big gamble that could pay off or really miss

As a Southern Miss alum myself, I believe he will do at least as well as Michael Boley, another Golden Eagle, has done. Judging any player from the mess that was the 2012 USM season would be difficult at best, thanks to what the coaching staff did to the program. You need to go back to previous years and see what he did while getting actual coaching to get a more accurate view.

I feel that Collins will be drafted by Saints, will trade down to get him in 2nd. I felt the same when Wilson was drafted.

I teach elementary school and bug the 2 high school FB coaches that come over to teach PE at our school each morning before they go to high school to do their coaching stuff and after school practices. I drive them crazy with FB questions every day,especially on Mondays.
But back to Collins. Both coaches coached him at some point in his high school career,not sure where or when. They are both very high on him. They kept talking about him before the combine,telling me to watch for him there. They are in contact with him and liked his attitude going into combine.
They were disappointed in his bench,say they have seen him do more. Talked about his athleticism and fluidnes. Said he was very coachable, football smart,good work ethic and good character. Both said he's a 3-4 guy and would be a good fit. This was before combine.

This is just me sharing the thoughts two guys that have worked with him have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom