Jamies Winston Learning how to Box (1 Viewer)

Jameis* Think Jame + is. This is already turning into a Bree’s situation.

Has any QB ever recovered from 30 INT's to have a decent career? Has any athlete that went Vegan improved his strength? I don't know of any. I know of a handful of Vegans, and they're a little, um, flaky.

Not really worried, because I believe Winston will be gone in a year.

Out of curiosity, I looked up passing yardage leaders in each of the last 15 seasons:

2005-Brady

2006-Brees

2007-Brady

2008-Brees

2009-Schaub

2010-Rivers

2011-Brees

2012-Brees

2013-Manning

2014-Brees

2015-Brees

2016-Brees

2017-Brady

2018-Roethlisberger

2019-Winston

Schaub is the only non-HOFer on the list before Winston (I guess Rivers is debatable).

Bottom line: it is HARD to lead the league in passing. I don’t know if Winston will correct his flaws enough to become a Super Bowl QB. But even with all the INTs, you can’t downplay the ability that it takes to put up the numbers he did.

It’s so telling to be reminded our record is better when Brees doesn’t have to lead the league in passing yards. Goes to show the value of balanced, complementary football.

Boxing after having eye surgery?

WTF?!?! Great way to get that "eye-fixing" messed up! I waited a year before I got back in a ring, then wore a facemask for a few months as well.

Has any QB ever recovered from 30 INT's to have a decent career? Has any athlete that went Vegan improved his strength? I don't know of any. I know of a handful of Vegans, and they're a little, um, flaky.

Not really worried, because I believe Winston will be gone in a year.

That Favre guy had

1590807921706.png
Well, first day of training camp, this may need to be settled up

This happened 3+ years ago from a very immature, childish Jameis. He's not that same selfish kid mentally.

The punk move from Evans a few seconds later was far, far worse in my opinion.

Boxing is a very transferable sport. Weight distribution from each foot, head movement and head positioning over feet when moving, improved core stability, improved core stability in rotative movements and with elongated core activation. Improvement of anterior and posterior oblique sling connections. How can anyone not see that boxing could help improve a QB. Learning how to throw a proper punch is very beneficial to learning how to throw anything. Remember boxing has Only 4 punches yet it’s the sweet science. Beautiful sport

As a general rule it also trains a person to stay up on their toes and avoid being flat footed which would transfer to quicker, cleaner drop backs and being able to shuffle around in the pocket. I’ve always wondered from the way Brees moves and slides around if at some point he didn’t do some boxing. Footwork as a QB is essential as having your feet placed correctly not only Allows for better velocity but also better accuracy.
Also to the people talking about how stiff he is and such. Look he has to start somewhere. He’s learning something new, something he hasn’t learned before. Give him a break. He’s trying. He’s working out. Fixed his diet and eyesight. Now working on boxing skills which directly translates into being in great shape, better movement, and all the things in that post. Jameis has gotten this far through massive physical talent. If he can learn how to fine tune that talent, and actually be exposed to a high quality teacher and learn the ins and outs of being a QB, something no coach has taught him, really look out. If Winston puts it together, no way does Hill get the starting position as Winston would be far above him.

As a general rule it also trains a person to stay up on their toes and avoid being flat footed which would transfer to quicker, cleaner drop backs and being able to shuffle around in the pocket. I’ve always wondered from the way Brees moves and slides around if at some point he didn’t do some boxing. Footwork as a QB is essential as having your feet placed correctly not only Allows for better velocity but also better accuracy.

Well, I am the one who called him a potted plant...

Winston probably stopped by that gym just for kicks, and now you are projecting and rationalizing that he's going to train like a pro fighter and be a better QB for it. And even if he did, it doesn't work that way.

Yet again, boxing is a great sport, and great exercise. And being in good shape (cardio, muscles, flexibility) helps you in just about any sport. But Winston hitting a heavy bag is not going to make him a better QB.

Well, I am the one who called him a potted plant...

Winston probably stopped by that gym just for kicks, and now you are projecting and rationalizing that he's going to train like a pro fighter and be a better QB for it. And even if he did, it doesn't work that way.

Yet again, boxing is a great sport, and great exercise. And being in good shape (cardio, muscles, flexibility) helps you in just about any sport. But Winston hitting a heavy bag is not going to make him a better QB.
Possibly. But, there is also nothing in his past to believe that he isn’t doing this. Say what you want about his maturity and how he handles himself publicly at times. But there has never been a report I’m aware of that questions his work ethic.
I never said he was training to be an all pro fighter. I said that there are skills that transfer and allow him to be better at what he’s doing. He’s obviously focused on a point and landing punches with accuracy, that’s his focus.
I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. Jameis has an incredible set of natural skills. That cannot be questioned at all. What I’ve always questioned with him has been has he received any coaching to make him better? To understand all the small things that go into being a QB? That I don’t believe he has had happen for him. You know for a fact he will get that in New Orleans. And, yes I do think if he can fix all the little things, really learn the QB positions and study from Brees, I do think the guy has the potential to be all pro.

I never said he was training to be an all pro fighter. I said that there are skills that transfer and allow him to be better at what he’s doing. He’s obviously focused on a point and landing punches with accuracy, that’s his focus.
No one said that, but the thing is, even if I were to concede that the skills transfer (which I am not) he would have to develop high level boxing skills to make a dent on his current world-class football athlete skills.

Here is a question for you, if boxing skills transfer to QB play, wouldn't it be true QB skills would transfer to boxing? Then why did Jameis look like a fish out of water tapping that heavy bag?

And I am not knocking the guy down. If he truly wants to practice boxing, good for him, I hope he enjoys it and wraps his wrists properly. But some of you are projecting something that simply isn't there.

So we've seen him drop back to pass and then take a baseball swing. Now he's boxing. Maybe this week he'll be throwing darts or bowling with his helmet on. Whatever it takes.

I'll say this for the man, he's trying. He looks to be in great shape and I think he has the eye of the tiger right now. If he really wants it and he has decided to get serious about his craft then who knows what can happen. He has the ability, he'll have the coaching and apparently he can see now. Add it all up and we might have something here.

Im no expert but would it be more productive to learn how to not throw interceptions?
First, body control, foot placement and core strength have a lot to do with accuracy. Second, his QB coaching has always been nonexistent or poor. Third, the chuck it down the field offense he was in has always been one that has a high number of interceptions, and while he had some great WRs to throw to, none of them have ever been known as strong and accurate route runners. So, here he has all the opportunity to blossom. Or die on the vine. All up to him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom