NFL Draft Jamin Davis - Will OLB Kentucky (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Shout out to @Saint Lattimore for posting this image, and it got me wondering who this kid is (since I don't watch Kentucky football). So I did some digging... I introduce to you, Will OLB Jamin Davis.

43316db8-7f71-4933-aa9a-03ea671d5a08-jpeg.156265

Jamin Davis projects as a WILL linebacker at the NFL level and appears to have the ceiling of an NFL starter. Davis is long, rangy, and explosive and that correlated to several big plays in the passing game throughout the course of Kentucky’s 2020 campaign. Davis exploded onto the scene in 2020 and wasted little time making the leap to the NFL, but his lack of high volume sample size as a featured player is cause for buyer beware. There’s plenty of untapped potential in Davis’ game and his length flashes to deconstruct blocks while he also showcases the processing power after the snap to duck under blocks and spill opposing ball-carriers into pursuit. But he has yet to master a feel of scraping through traffic and his overall quickness and confidence in decision-making leaves the door open for confident passers and ball-carriers to exploit small creates caused by his delay. Davis has very good range and long speed that will draw the attention of NFL decision-makers—as second-level speed is at a premium right now due to league trends.

Positives: Outstanding run-defending linebacker coming off a career season. Aggressive and displays a terrific head for the ball. Attacks opponents and brings ball handlers down in the open field. Sells out on the blitz, but also flows well laterally to the play.

Quickly locates the action, immediately diagnoses plays, and works his hands to stay off blocks. Easily changes direction and gets depth on pass drops. Displays solid skill in coverage and possesses good hands for the interception.

Negatives: Limited play speed and burst. Produced for just one year at the college level.

Analysis: Davis is a well-built linebacker who showed tremendous development in his game last season and really popped off the film. He’s physical and aggressive but is also a disciplined defender with solid instincts. Play speed is a concern, though I do think Davis will flourish on the inside of a 3-4 alignment.

IMO, the Saints have to draft a CB in the first round. They lost Janoris Jenkins due to cap reasons... and Lattimore could likely be in trouble with Goodell over his recent arrest. If Lattimore ever gets suspended over this, the Saints are left with Patrick Robinson, PJ Williams and a few other guys who nobody has heard of. Good luck trying to defend the pass this season. Now, this is worse case scenario, but the Saints better be prepared.

I see corner in the 1st. Maybe even moving up for one.

You can’t just force a corner in the first with the pick. It would be nice if one fell to us sure, but you can’t take the best corner available if he’s 44 on your big board and you have a LB or WR who you have ranked 17th is there. You can’t pass on Patrick Willis or dk metcalf for a janoris Jenkins. Sure it would suck for this year but how would you feel in the future if we wound up with an average corner and passed on pro bowl talent at other positions.

you go corner with the pick if he’s BPA, close to BPA, or you trade up for one

You can’t just force a corner in the first with the pick. It would be nice if one fell to us sure, but you can’t take the best corner available if he’s 44 on your big board and you have a LB or WR who you have ranked 17th is there. You can’t pass on Patrick Willis or dk metcalf for a janoris Jenkins. Sure it would suck for this year but how would you feel in the future if we wound up with an average corner and passed on pro bowl talent at other positions.

you go corner with the pick if he’s BPA, close to BPA, or you trade up for one
I agree. I just don't see any of the top 5 CB's still on the board when we pick. I surely hope we don't reach for one. But if there's top players still on the board at other positions, draft the best player available no matter what position.

I agree. I just don't see any of the top 5 CB's still on the board when we pick. I surely hope we don't reach for one. But if there's top players still on the board at other positions, draft the best player available no matter what position.
Caleb Fairley could slide to 28 due to the surgery. The late 1st-mid 2nd round should have Samuel Jr, Kelvin Joseph, Elijah Molden as well. But after the pro days, Horn is competing with Surtain JR as the first corner off the board. I’m a fan of Collins, JOK, and Davis at LB and a combination of one of the above mentioned corners for the first 2 picks of the draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom