Janoris Jenkins deal is actually an extension (1 Viewer)

Hopefully it was fairly clear that an extension was always the way this would go down. It sounds like we get him at good per year value and can exit the contract pretty easily after one year.

The Loomis abides.

yea, but if the 10 mil signing is all applied to year one, why would you want to (assuming he doesn't have a meteoric decline), he will be cheaper after that. And how is the guaranteed all applied this year anyway. Is it a roster bonus?

So in essence it’s one year $10M with the option to keep him next year. Reduces this year’s cap hit and frees up space. Pretty good deal for everyone involved. JR keeps his money but the club gains cap space and security moving forward. That is a smart FO.

You probably don't need voidable years if the value is low and all guarantees are paid in the first year. We can exit after year one or two easily if I read it correctly.

I just assumed there would be at least one voidable year. Mickey is super into voidable years right now. It's kind of his thing now.

They've been all over the place with the terms of this contract. I like this the best though. Extended him for under 9 mil per year. Around what I was hoping for. Only part that is concerning is his age.

yea, but if the 10 mil signing is all applied to year one, why would you want to (assuming he doesn't have a meteoric decline), he will be cheaper after that. And how is the guaranteed all applied this year anyway. Is it a roster bonus?
Sorry, I'm not following the question, poor comprehension on my part no doubt.

In terms of what I was trying to say around the benefits of the contract structure as I see it, Abnrgr pretty much nailed it:

So in essence it’s one year $10M with the option to keep him next year. Reduces this year’s cap hit and frees up space. Pretty good deal for everyone involved. JR keeps his money but the club gains cap space and security moving forward. That is a smart FO.

Sorry, I'm not following the question, poor comprehension on my part no doubt.

In terms of what I was trying to say around the benefits of the contract structure as I see it, Abnrgr pretty much nailed it:

I think Luke Johnson on NOLA.com laid out the full terms of the deal and I'm not so sure the structure doesn't suggest that they will either cut him next year or restructure again. Apparently his salary this year is about $1.5 million so with the bonus spread out the cap hit this year is around $4.5 million. But, next year his salary goes up to about $11 million so the cap hit next year is like $14 million. The cap hit drops down to about $8 million in the third year. And, all of the guaranteed money comes this year. So, they could cut him next year and get about $5 million in cap space.

Of course, it doesn't mean they will cut him and they could decide to restructure, but I can't imagine they want to have him taking up $14 million in cap next year. But, either way, it's a great deal for the Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom