Janoris Jenkins deal is actually an extension (1 Viewer)

Almost certain I read that the last two years are dummy years that are voidable the other day.

Good deal. He was an upgrade from Apple last season and clamped Diggs in the playoffs

Sorry, I'm not following the question, poor comprehension on my part no doubt.

In terms of what I was trying to say around the benefits of the contract structure as I see it, Abnrgr pretty much nailed it:

no I was confusing the issue. Only the first part of it was aimed at your quote. The contract is actually 3 years and it looks like the salaries for years 2 and 3 are very favorable to the team.

the last part of the tweet
So, 3 years, $27M overall with $10.2M guaranteed — all in 2020.

If the 10.2 guarantee is all guaranteed for 2020 then I take it to mean its a roster bonus for being on the team instead of signing bonus. If true that only leaves 17 mil left to apply to 2021 and 22. If he is playing like an above average corner after this year that would be a bargain for the team. Usually you can tell how long a team really intends for a contract to be based on which year the salary becomes extra inflated. That doesn't appear to be the case with this contract.

no I was confusing the issue. Only the first part of it was aimed at your quote. The contract is actually 3 years and it looks like the salaries for years 2 and 3 are very favorable to the team.

the last part of the tweet

If the 10.2 guarantee is all guaranteed for 2020 then I take it to mean its a roster bonus for being on the team instead of signing bonus. If true that only leaves 17 mil left to apply to 2021 and 22. If he is playing like an above average corner after this year that would be a bargain for the team. Usually you can tell how long a team really intends for a contract to be based on which year the salary becomes extra inflated. That doesn't appear to be the case with this contract.

They wouldn't convert his salary into a roster bonus just for him to have the same exact cap hit..

The 10.2 million is guaranteed this season (salary and 9 mil signing bonus).. Roster bonus puts the entire cap hit on that season, signing bonus is spread throughout the life of the contract

It is the case for this contract. The cap hit next year will be about $14.5 million (About $3 million of the prorated signing bonus and an about $11 million salary). So the team has an out next year and could save $5 million in cap by cutting him ($11 million in salary minus $6 million left on the prorated signing bonus).

So, they will likely either cut him or renegotiate the deal next year since I can't see them wanting a $14 million cap hit for him next year.

It is the case for this contract. The cap hit next year will be about $14.5 million (About $3 million of the prorated signing bonus and an about $11 million salary). So the team has an out next year and could save $5 million in cap by cutting him ($11 million in salary minus $6 million left on the prorated signing bonus).

So, they will likely either cut him or renegotiate the deal next year since I can't see them wanting a $14 million cap hit for him next year.

well that makes a lot more sense and what I would have expected here. The tweet is confusing as hell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom