Jared Cook looked outstanding - And, a few other players get some props (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
The Good:

Let's give it up to Jared Cook, guys. The guy showed up yesterday. That was the best game he's had in a Saints uniform. I think he will only get better from this point forward. He looked like a man against boys to their defense. Just wish we hadn't gone away from him in the second half.

Another guy you have to give it up to is TreQuan Smith. He wasn't great by any means, but that hit he took, while holding onto the ball was absolutely amazing. He seems to be a better route runner this year, as well. Atta Boy, TreQuan.

Marcus Williams is beginning to get it all together. He really stepped up after Lattimore left the game. He's definitely back to his rookie form.

PJ Williams did ok after taking over for Lattimore. Still, this is a position we need to upgrade next year. PJ will not be the starting Nickle Corner next year, and he is only a little better than Crawley on the outside.

Gardner Johnson is going to be a stud, guys. All he does is make plays. He's already better - IMHO - than PJ or Robinson, and he's only a rookie. Great Draft Pick!

The Bad:

Will Clapp. Dang. What can you say? Here's what I say: Where in the heck is Eason at? Isn't this the reason we went out and signed that guy? Clapp played like what he is - a 7th round drafted guy.

Terron Armstead. That had to be the worst game I have ever seen Armstead play. He was constantly getting beat.

Sheldon Rankins. Did he even play? God, I hope he gets back to last years form soon, or we are going to be hurting. Thank God Onyemata is playing so well.

Ted Ginn Jr: This guy seems to be getting worst and worst every game. His old hands problem is back, and it is killing us.

Overall, there was some good, and some bad yesterday. Unfortunately, there was more bad than good, and we lost the game. Still, one game does not a season make.

I'm so glad that Cook is finally starting to step up his game. We are going to need him. Carr and the others just aren't panning out.

That was definitely one of Cook's best games as a Saint so far. I'm hoping he just needed to be healthy.

I wouldn't say he was outstanding but it was an improvement for sure. I'm just offering a different opinion (I'm not at all trying to bash yours). 6 receptions out of 10 targets for 74 yards and no TDs is a good day and certainly better than his 1st couple of games. I'd like to see him get more separation and high point the ball in traffic.

Let's hope he continues to improve because we desperately need that other pass catching option down the field.

Puzzling to me how they would not activate Dan Arnold for this game knowing how inefficient our receivers are.

Taysom Hill deserves some praise. Obviously he had some great rushing and receiving yards, but his pass play to Thomas was absolute ridiculousness. One of the best plays of the game (if not the best play of the game).
Yea, I forgot about Taysom. This guy just keeps getting better as a passer. I still believe he could be Drew's replacement when he retires.

During the bye I heard Drew say he got to throw with the guys that were rehabbing which would be Cook, Kamara, TQS, & Kirkwood. I'm sure that extra time with Cook helped.

Really not alot of good in this one. I feel like one advantage of Teddy would have been that he will run if nothing is there. Drew will not and never has really. There were a few times he could have and maybe got us some first downs. I was disappointed with him on that part yesterday. He took sacks instead of throwing it away and refused to run. He's gotta play better.

The offensive and defensive lines played bad. We hit Ryan alot, but couldn't seem to sack him. Even our blitzes were picked up most of the time.

Biggest flaw yesterday was coaching. We did little to slow down their rush (1 sack occurred with a 3 man rush.) When Sean is at his worse is when he refuses to run. That game was never out of reach and yet he didn't run the ball. So we had too many 3 and outs and the defense played 70 snaps. Unacceptable by Coach when your QB is under fire and you have two good backs. I guess he enjoyed his bye week too much as well.

Perhaps they needed that, but I think the week off was a mistake. This is a young team and going home around folks hyping them up probably caused them to not work out as much and eat the cheese. Hopefully this loss slaps them in the face and they get it together because in Tampa it is sometimes a dog fight.

He's gotta play better.
It's hard to play well when you take 6 sacks. The offense indeed had a problem, and it's called the O-Line. That was the worst I have seen our O-Line play probably in the Sean Payton era.

One other thing to say is that we all talk kinda bad about Andrus Peat. However, it was after he left the game when our O-Line started being really bad. Peat may not be the best at his position, but he's also not atrocious. I think last years play by him was due more to nagging injuries, because he's not playing like that this year.

One other thing to say is that we all talk kinda bad about Andrus Peat. However, it was after he left the game when our O-Line started being really bad. Peat may not be the best at his position, but he's also not atrocious. I think last years play by him was due more to nagging injuries, because he's not playing like that this year.

Peat was atrocious before he went out. Clapp being just as bad didn't change what happened before he came in.

Jared Cook... He's not going to be 2011 Graham, but he's shown that he can be a guy in our offense. And with all the swings and misses we've had the past few seasons, that's saying something.

TreQuan Smith... Jury is still out on him. His catch when his helmet got ripped off was nice. Really want to see him start to make some plays like Cook... Something defenses have to take notice of at least.

Marcus Williams is looking good. Some of the reason for that is the play of Vonn Bell. Giving Williams 1/2 the field on a lot of snaps is a good thing. Heck, it'd be a good thing for any FS. Very very few FS's in the history of football was great sideline to sideline. And even the one's who were good at that had a lot of help up front.

PJ in for Latt is difinitely like going from a Ferrari to a ford. But not many teams would even have a PJ to plug in after losing a Latt...

Chauncey is going to be a great player for us. Already out-played his draft status. Has a chance to earn the title of mid-late round gem. I'm glad he doesn't interview well, and I'm glad our scouting dept did it's homework.

Clapp has done very good in his "6th O-lineman" role. Plugging him in for Peat when Armstead has the frickin' flu, didn't do him any favors. Add to that the whole team offense and defense being in a huge funk for whatever reason... It would've been really hard for him to have a good game yesterday.

Armstead had the freakin' flu. I'm amazed at how well he was able to play with that. Most of us can't or won't even get out of bed with that.

NOTE: We've all known (or should have) that we're living on borrowed time at OL, CB, and even WR. We've built one of the leagues best and deepest DL's... Can't be that good and deep everywhere. Injuries to those positions hurt any team.

Rankins is fine. He's still not all the way back. Tuttle wouldn't be getting the amount of playing time he is if that weren't true. Give him time.

Tedd Ginn Jr is a role player at this stage of his career. Yesterday, his role would've had to have been "savior" and nobody stepped up into that role. At a certain point, you have to go ahead and say that a guy is who he is. Ginn is who he is. The talent is still there, it's just old. He's going to have games where you think he's a difference maker. But he's also gonna have a lot of games where that get's proven wrong.

Coaching and playing pro football is so fickle. A bad day is hard to shake during a game because it happens so fast. It was obvious early on in this game that it was going to be a bad game. A combination of a lot of little things (and big things) combined to keep us from ever getting our feet under us in this one. That won't happen every week. It may happen again this year, or even more than once, but that's football.

We're a very good, talented, and deep team. But we (and nobody else) is unbeatable. One of the keys to any great season is having a lot more good games than bad games... and a little luck where other teams have their bad games when you need them to. And we've had more good games than bad so far. Matter of fact... 7 to 2. There's 7 more games left before the stakes get higher. If nothing else, laying this turd at home vs a 1-7 team might teach our (still young) team a valuable lesson. I think there's WAY too much cocky in our locker room for this to really knock us down too much. So there's that going for us at least.

It's hard to play well when you take 6 sacks. The offense indeed had a problem, and it's called the O-Line. That was the worst I have seen our O-Line play probably in the Sean Payton era.
He can't hold the ball either. And he needs to run when there's nobody within 10 yards. His play is inexcusable.

Still trying to figure out why Coach didn’t help Armstead out some with a TE or RB chip blocking. He knew Armstead was I’ll and getting beat but no help or running game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom