Jared Cook stays committed to Saints after Rob Gronkowski retires: report (1 Viewer)

Very, very interesting. Typically a player will decide to play for a team, that team will then sign the player, and the fans rejoice. In this case however, the player has decided to probably play for a team, that team has committed to probably signing a player, and the fans are left to bite their fingernails and pace around.

Something is definitely going on here behind the scenes and I think Quinn is involved. We might be trying to work out a deal with Miami and Quinn before officially signing Cook. Gotta get the cap right. Why else would this process drag out like it has?

If the issue is they are playing with Cook's signing bonus to acquire another player why not sign him to a deal with a lower signing bonus? Then if we can acquire the additional player (Quinn or whoever) restructure part of his deal to a bonus and push the cap number out.

None of these statements matter until he actually signs.

If the issue is they are playing with Cook's signing bonus to acquire another player why not sign him to a deal with a lower signing bonus? Then if we can acquire the additional player (Quinn or whoever) restructure part of his deal to a bonus and push the cap number out.

There maybe rules against restructuring that soon??

Either way, it has to be that they need to see how much cap money we need for other guys, we have more cap space than New England, so not really worried about them swooping in money wise

Can you tell me when that was posted?

And who "told him" that Cook wasn't reconsidering.

[NOTE: That is mostly rhetorical - I am not expecting you to do any "research" for the answers.]
Posted today, 3-25-18. I would imagine someone in the Saints organization, Jared Cook, or his agent told him.

So Ian Rapoport of NFL Network brought a welcome update to the Around The NFL podcast. Rapoport was definitive in his reporting: “It is happening. The actual contract I don’t believe has been agreed to language-wise, but they had an agreement in principle on like (March 20) … so that’s gonna happen. This is kind of interesting because every year we all talk about the Saints have no money, they have cap issues … and they kind of find the space for stuff they really need. It’s gonna be $8 million fully guaranteed in year one, it’s really just a one-year deal. (The New England) Patriots came in at the end and had a big-time push, a big presentation to Cook. But in the end I think this is something Sean Payton needed and was willing to pay for.”

Steal if true

Very, very interesting. Typically a player will decide to play for a team, that team will then sign the player, and the fans rejoice. In this case however, the player has decided to probably play for a team, that team has committed to probably signing a player, and the fans are left to bite their fingernails and pace around.

Something is definitely going on here behind the scenes and I think Quinn is involved. We might be trying to work out a deal with Miami and Quinn before officially signing Cook. Gotta get the cap right. Why else would this process drag out like it has?
Guaranteed money is what I say.

I wouldn’t call $8mil/ year a steal. That’s what top TEs are paid.
3 years $24 mil, $8 mil in first year garunteed. Seems about right. Maybe slightly higher yearly average.
A multi year, $7mil/year or less may be considered a steal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom