Jared Cook visiting Saints (1 Viewer)

This is a deep draft for TE.
It is very likely that they will be able to take the highest graded player and he will be a TE...
If he is sitting there in the 2nd round, I can see us selecting Jace Sternberge.
I hope the Saints draft a good TE whether or not we sign Cook.

I feel we need Cook, because banking on a rookie TE to make an impact is a huge gamble (yes, even if one of the "really good" ones fall to us at 61), and there aren't any other FA left that we can count on.

Banking on the draft is a tricky situation, even if the position is deep, because there is always the chance that the team has an Alvin Kamara sort of player fall to them at 61. If that person isn't a TE, so much for filling that need. And after the team was hopeful to land one in the draft last year and failed to do so, two years in a row would make things difficult. We cannot afford a black hole at the position.

Cook is also getting up in age, so we would need a young guy to groom in to the role in the future. With Josh Hill as a #2, and some nice fliers in reserve, the position would go from a weakness to a strength.

Regardless, signing Cook would turn the position in to a must draft to a need or even a want to draft.

Last edited:
Did the Saints lock him up in a room until he agreed to sign? This guy came into town and then dropped off the face of the earth. I've heard of this happening in Nola from time to time but this is getting weird.

After easton, so we have the $$ for cook? Def not cook and ansah
Yes. We just used the credit from Unger retirement to sign him. Pretty sure Cook will have a low year 1 cap hit anyways. Easton could be front loaded to give us an out if he doesn't pan out.

After easton, so we have the $$ for cook? Def not cook and ansah

For Cook, definitely. I have a feeling we are either a) working on details and wanted the C situation figured out first or b) waiting for Cook to decide on us or returning to Oakland (or some mystery offer).

For Ansah, it seems everyone is in a holding pattern until he allows more exams done on his shoulder. Seems like no one has a firm offer yet.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/why-havent-the-raiders-re-signed-te-jared-cook/

More than likely, Cook is asking to be one of the highest-paid tight ends in the NFL. While he certainly has that right to do so considering his sacks, it’s likely teams are balking at his demands for a few reasons. The first being his age. Cook will turn 32 in April, and NFL teams generally hate giving big money to players over the age of 30, especially when their best season came during a contract year.

Sounds to me like he's asking for more than the Raiders are willing to pay. The Raiders don't have the "not having to move his family-discount" card to play here, since they're moving the entire team. No, he's asking for a lot... because he can. He's the only TE left in free agency that can honestly be considered a TE1.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/why-havent-the-raiders-re-signed-te-jared-cook/

Sounds to me like he's asking for more than the Raiders are willing to pay. The Raiders don't have the "not having to move his family-discount" card to play here, since they're moving the entire team. No, he's asking for a lot... because he can. He's the only TE left in free agency that can honestly be considered a TE1.
Raiders are also cheap and for some reason... Broke at the same time.

I don't see us signing Ansah, but I fully expect us to sign Cook. I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't but it wouldn't be the first or the last.

I don't see us signing Ansah, but I fully expect us to sign Cook. I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't but it wouldn't be the first or the last.
I would be shocked if we don't sign Cook. I won't be shocked either way with Ansah.

My guess is that Cook probably wants a 3-4 year deal and teams are offering 1-2. It’s obvious that he’s the pick of the litter right now, and average yearly salary will be handsome. It’s probably a matter of the duration of the deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom