Jarius Byrd Highlights (1 Viewer)

Rob Ryan rips New Orleans Saints, blames new scheme for recent firing

"They signed players; they signed a free-agent free safety [Jairus Byrd] and said, 'We are going to keep him in the middle of the field like the goalpost,'" Ryan said. "Well, that's great. He's not going to make one play back there, and now we have changed the entire defense for one signing, and it ruined us. He's a great kid. But the truth of the matter is, you let an All-Pro safety walk, Malcolm Jenkins, and lost your two best leaders on the team, him and Roman Harper. We changed the entire style of play. It was strange.

Nobody but SP enamored with the Seattle Defense and attempted to duplicate it.

Champ Bailey, Stanley Jean Baptiste, Jairus Byrd were all secondary signings we tried to pull off to make the scheme work.

Rafael Bush even said it himself 2 weeks into the 14 season that we were running a different Defense and thats why you didn't see him on the field as much as in 13. This was after Byrd got hurt and he replaced him.

We wen't from a 3 safety D that worked to a 1high Cover 3 all in the Name of Payton wanting to copy the seahawks without Seahawks talent.

Now that I look back at that draft it definitely wasn't a good year for Defensive players outside of the top 15 guys and a few other sprinkled in like Bradley Robey. Definitely an offensive heavy draft with the likes of Trai Turner, Carlos Hyde, Jarvis Landry,Jeremey Hill, Gabe Jackson, Devonta Freeman standing out as guys taken later in the draft that excelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NFL_Draft

Nobody but SP enamored with the Seattle Defense and attempted to duplicate it.

Champ Bailey, Stanley Jean Baptiste, Jairus Byrd were all secondary signings we tried to pull off to make the scheme work.

Rafael Bush even said it himself 2 weeks into the 14 season that we were running a different Defense and thats why you didn't see him on the field as much as in 13. This was after Byrd got hurt and he replaced him.

We wen't from a 3 safety D that worked to a 1high Cover 3 all in the Name of Payton wanting to copy the seahawks without Seahawks talent.

Payton has to look in the mirror and realize he's the one responsible for ruining the team.
Someone mentioned that he might quit because of his failures. I don't know about that, but if you've made changes and they didn't work out, it's hard to put the blame on someone else.

Rafael Bush had other issues than scheme. His playing time was cut by injury three seasons in a row.

Payton has to look in the mirror and realize he's the one responsible for ruining the team.
Someone mentioned that he might quit because of his failures. I don't know about that, but if you've made changes and they didn't work out, it's hard to put the blame on someone else.

We'll if you look at that draft and then look at the players we nabbed we only went after SJB because of scheme and we went after Cooks because SP was enamored with getting an "explosive" WR.

We could have stayed put and ended up with Bradley Robey/Allen Robinson as our 1st two picks instead of Cooks/SJB. Though I'm not upset at Cooks but it shows how changing schemes can force you to make some bad moves.

We went after the bigger CB's that draft and ironically not a single one panned out for any team. Justin Gilbert, SJB, Walt Aikens, Keith McGill,and Pierre Desir have all flopped as Large CB prospects.

Me and my coworker, who is a bills fan, we're discussing Byrd the other day after the Falcons game. He agrees and says that Byrd doesn't look like the same player. There was one play where Matt Ryan throw a ball kind of towards the ground and Byrd JUST missed out on the interception. He said that 4 years ago in buffalo he makes that play. He does not have the same quick twitch he once did. Obviously he's a step

Me and my coworker, who is a bills fan, we're discussing Byrd the other day after the Falcons game. He agrees and says that Byrd doesn't look like the same player. There was one play where Matt Ryan throw a ball kind of towards the ground and Byrd JUST missed out on the interception. He said that 4 years ago in buffalo he makes that play. He does not have the same quick twitch he once did. Obviously he's a step

Gotta be the injuries but the decision to draft Bell was obviously because they noticed it.

Even when DA talked about him this off-season he spoke about him still having "some" range and understanding what teams want to do aka...he's not the talent he once was but he's FB smart. He's obviously in the same boat as Harper/Laurinitis in how the team values Veterans that have been around but have lost a step. Looks like those alignment/assignment and poor down/distance awareness issues really chapped Payton's arse last year.

There is one single reason that our defensive money pits of free agents don't work out. Sean Payton. He doesn't let the DCs do their job and keeps his own buddies (Vitt and whoever the hell else is constantly echoed on here) as position coaches. Rob Ryan killed it with his 3 safety sets. He was revolutionizing our defense. We sign Byrd, Payton forces RR to play him out of position and lets our best defensive leaders and players walk. Though I don't think there's any of us who really weren't ready for Harper and Jenkins to be gone, hindsight is 20/20 and these are just some of the moves that the best coaches should hit on. Payton needs to be held accountable for this but the whole saints organization (aside from DC who takes all the flak) seems like a good ol boys club.

There is one single reason that our defensive money pits of free agents don't work out. Sean Payton. He doesn't let the DCs do their job and keeps his own buddies (Vitt and whoever the hell else is constantly echoed on here) as position coaches. Rob Ryan killed it with his 3 safety sets. He was revolutionizing our defense. We sign Byrd, Payton forces RR to play him out of position and lets our best defensive leaders and players walk. Though I don't think there's any of us who really weren't ready for Harper and Jenkins to be gone, hindsight is 20/20 and these are just some of the moves that the best coaches should hit on. Payton needs to be held accountable for this but the whole saints organization (aside from DC who takes all the flak) seems like a good ol boys club.

Harsh.....but hard to argue against anything you said.

I agree, Byrd has greatly underperformed but I think he'd be more much more effective this season if it weren't for all the injuries. He did seem to be primed for a much improved season. Imagine how much more effective he'd be if we had a better rush and our starting corners. He wouldn't be a pro-bowler per se but he'd be solid and we'd at least see flashes of his past.

I suggest we ignore and forget the past handful of seasons and look at this season as a new beginning. We have been horribly unlucky this year in terms of injuries and as a result, everything looks bad. The offense looks more ineffective than it really is, the dropped passes and penalties stand out much more, the play calling is inconsistent--the mistakes and weaknesses aren't masked or offset when we have this many injuries.

This simple truth can be applied to so much in life: If the union is healthy (mentally and physically), the past can be forgiven and forgotten.

This applies to marriages, sports teams, and even this great nation.

Jarius Byrd Highlights

I don't know about highlights, but I remember about three years ago he made a nice tackle out in the flat. He looked fast and decisive. It was a good play... And he's also really good at fair catching a punt. Really good. He's probably the best fair catcher on the team... So there's that.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but when I clicked on the link for Byrd's highlights, I also saw this video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H_DpXQqar68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's crazy to see how much has changed in 3 years.

it seems like they don't have any fire or attitude on defense....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom