Jarius Byrd Highlights (1 Viewer)

If Rob Ryan was coaching this year. We would of been had clips on Payton yelling at him on the sideline. But since he's boy DA is coaching you dont see that.

So true, I would like to see an arm chair brought out for Payton to sleep in. I don't even know if he chews the juicy fruit anymore.

People blamed Ryan but that 3 safety set was boss in 2013. They sign Byrd change the defense and the defense has sucked ever since. :jpshakehead:

The first thing Byrd did after we signed him to a huge contract was have back surgery! I've always heard that once a person has back surgery they are never the same, and that certainly looks like the truth after watching Byrd play as Saint. Add to that the fact that he's been a part of the some of the worst defenses the NFL has ever seen during his time here, and the pass rush is always among the leagues worst, and there you have it

The first thing Byrd did after we signed him to a huge contract was have back surgery! I've always heard that once a person has back surgery they are never the same, and that certainly looks like the truth after watching Byrd play as Saint. Add to that the fact that he's been a part of the some of the worst defenses the NFL has ever seen during his time here, and the pass rush is always among the leagues worst, and there you have it

Can looks to have recovered from his surgery quickly and nicely. Watt not so much. Jordan may not be a consistent edge rusher but he has 1 1/2 in 3 games. He's a 6-10 a year kinda guy which is expected for a LDE

I've said it in a previous thread, but our defense has played the best with the 3 safety sets, when Byrd doesn't need to cover the whole field. Not surprising that his best game since he's been here (and our best defensive game this season) was versus the Giants where we had him, vaccaro and bell all on the field together. Why we go away from it, I will never know

I've said it in a previous thread, but our defense has played the best with the 3 safety sets, when Byrd doesn't need to cover the whole field. Not surprising that his best game since he's been here (and our best defensive game this season) was versus the Giants where we had him, vaccaro and bell all on the field together. Why we go away from it, I will never know

KV was hurt last game and Harper does not work in that formation because his range is nowhere near Kenny's. I am sure they will go back to it when he comes back which is hopefully soon.

We'll if you look at that draft and then look at the players we nabbed we only went after SJB because of scheme and we went after Cooks because SP was enamored with getting an "explosive" WR.

We could have stayed put and ended up with Bradley Robey/Allen Robinson as our 1st two picks instead of Cooks/SJB. Though I'm not upset at Cooks but it shows how changing schemes can force you to make some bad moves.

We went after the bigger CB's that draft and ironically not a single one panned out for any team. Justin Gilbert, SJB, Walt Aikens, Keith McGill,and Pierre Desir have all flopped as Large CB prospects.

Roughly 1 week after we lost to Seattle, Mike D retweeted that a statement saying Payton will learn more towards a power running game and will look for a big play receiver.

Changing the offensive philosophy to a power running game make sense to get rid of Sproles, but Cooks isn't the type of WR to fit in that scheme.

When I read the title of your post I thought you were referring to his Saints highlight video and you were linking to a continuous loop of a blank screen! :hihi:

Hmmm... I just thought the 's' was a typo. :scratch:

Roughly 1 week after we lost to Seattle, Mike D retweeted that a statement saying Payton will learn more towards a power running game and will look for a big play receiver.

Changing the offensive philosophy to a power running game make sense to get rid of Sproles, but Cooks isn't the type of WR to fit in that scheme.

I disagree. If you are going to be a power running team you are going to likely be a PA type team so you need a WR who can go and get those deep balls off those PA fakes.

One could argue spending a 1st round pick on that player is the question. Seems like the value on that role should be smaller IF that was the intent. Though I don't think "power running" game is what was said. I believe the term used during that time was a "ball control" offense but for SP that simply means more quick passes/empty sets. Not necessarily "ground and pound" as people thought. Which realistically makes sense...you run a GP offense when you need to protect your QB or if the QB play is mediocre. As long as DB is your QB the only time you GP is when the gameplan calls for it. Otherwise you stick to what got you to the dance and thats airing it out.

I remember those tweets and also remember SP specifically saying he wanted an explosive WR. We even took OBJ out for dinner so It was kind of obvious the type of skillset we were looking for. Its why i wasn't surprised when we moved up and I immediately screamed cooks. Of course we were tied to him early as well but yeah.....I think Ball Control was the term that was used heavily during that period in time.

So, we all agree that he is greatly under performing, but do you really believe it's his choice to play "50 yards back"? You think he just says you know I'm just going to stand where ever I feel like it today. Dennis Allen is preaching to NOT GET BEAT DEEP, and to keep everything in front of you. It's why you are seeing a lot of our corners playing off and back-peddling. Quick slants are open against us all day.
Finally somebody on here that know something about football don't blame Byrd blame the coaches and Byrd at least make the tackles, I really don't believe Bell like to tackle so good luck when Byrd is gone

Try to remember that Byrd hasn't played consistently in real games in a while. I think it's just taking a while to find his groove. This is also Denny's Allen's first year. He'll catch on in time. Take a step back and realize there are a lot of new pieces on a new defense.

This annoying injury trend didn't begin this year. But hopefully it ends.

Our luck can't continue to be this rotten.

Interestingly, the Pelicans have the same issues.

Does both teams have the same medical staff?
Its a horrible coincidence.

I disagree. If you are going to be a power running team you are going to likely be a PA type team so you need a WR who can go and get those deep balls off those PA fakes.

One could argue spending a 1st round pick on that player is the question. Seems like the value on that role should be smaller IF that was the intent. Though I don't think "power running" game is what was said. I believe the term used during that time was a "ball control" offense but for SP that simply means more quick passes/empty sets. Not necessarily "ground and pound" as people thought. Which realistically makes sense...you run a GP offense when you need to protect your QB or if the QB play is mediocre. As long as DB is your QB the only time you GP is when the gameplan calls for it. Otherwise you stick to what got you to the dance and thats airing it out.

I remember those tweets and also remember SP specifically saying he wanted an explosive WR. We even took OBJ out for dinner so It was kind of obvious the type of skillset we were looking for. Its why i wasn't surprised when we moved up and I immediately screamed cooks. Of course we were tied to him early as well but yeah.....I think Ball Control was the term that was used heavily during that period in time.

I guess at the time those words were not directly from Payton, but the emphasis was placed more on running the ball. I know we also switched from a man blocking scheme to zone blocking to benefit the run.

Payton may have wanted a big play or "explosive" WR, but with Cooks build & style of play, I believe he belongs in a passing first offense. Unless he's brought in on a certain down or packages.

Attachments

• 1512336_10152196619401597_590583395_n.jpg
    1512336_10152196619401597_590583395_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom