Jason Pierre-Paul (1 Viewer)

Yes Giants line is fairly talented outside of JPP. Him and Olivier Vernon are 1a and 1b with Vernon probably being 1a. Both are bookends that generated most of the the pressure. The reason the Giants defense had so much success this year is because they could rush 4 and drop 7 in coverage allowing for maximum flexibility coverage wise. Vernon is on the level or close to what Cam Jordan is for us in my opinion. Pass rushes well, stops the run well complete DE. The Giants have two very good DT's however they are not elite. One being John Hankins who is a 24 year old rising player at DT that is a FA and might be the reason JPP walks with Hankins getting big money and Vernon on the hook for 17mil a year. Their other DT is Damon 'Snacks' Harrison who is an elite run stopper but a subpar pass rusher. Their DTs do not rival our combo of Fairley/Rankins. JPP on this line would allow Dennis Allen to consistently drop 7 in coverage and not worry about pressure. All 4 of JPP, Fairley, Rankins and Cam can run stop and pass rush at a near equal rate. This would open us up to improving LB and DB in the draft. Most want a vet Cb as do I but thinking you gonna get a bargain with the salary cap increase? Unlikely since FA always has inflated $ being thrown at FA. Are they worth that much? No but thats what its going to take to bring those type of players in. And missing on those players is a whole of a lot better than not trying. Because not trying to acquire elite defensive talent (thats the level JPP was playing at I saw ppl pointing at his sack totals coming mainly in two games but Cam only had 7.5 sacks this year too but is still a top 5 DE, also JPP had double digit TFL before he got hurt man was playing at a high level with the pressures too) in Drews last years would just be a crime. We need to go all in and this would be that type of signing. His injury will cause the $ to be a bit lower which could be great for getting a long term deal done. As far as impact signings go I dont think any defensive FA could make a bigger impact at CB or LB

Wasn't Harrison named first team all pro at dt? If that's not elite please tell me what is.....

He'll probably find a team willing to pay him $11M/year for three years but I doubt that he earns every dollar.

The key to managing the cap is to not overpay.

The impression I have is the teams snagging the UFAs on day-one of FA usually live to regret their decisions.

The best GMs know how to wait out the market to get their guys(s) at a price commensurate with the value that the player(s) will bring to their new team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom