Jason Whitlock - Vilma right to take on dictator Roger (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, yes, Jonathan Vilma should sue Roger Goodell.

Someone has to stand against the NFL's well-intentioned, but wildly out-of-control, dictator. The elite NFL media, seduced by access and/or high-paying jobs on the television networks partnered with the national pastime, won't dare chop down Goodell to appropriate size, power and influence. And the NFL Players Association seemingly lacks the courage and resolve to regularly tussle with a commissioner corrupted by absolute power.

Jonathan Vilma's defamation suit right to challenge dictator Roger Goodell's supreme rule, supreme arrogance - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Good article...Today's recommended reading

On a scale of 1-10 i would give that article a 6. I agree with everything he says about Vilma, but i still dont agree with his comments about our coaches. He appears to get it when it comes to Vilma, but with the coaches, he has completely taken Goodell's bait, and he believes the coaches are 100% guilty. That is the part i dont like.

If Goodell is bad for doing what he is doing to Vilma, then what gives him the right to do it to the coaches? Just because the coaches can still coach for 15 more years after their suspensions, that still doesnt make it right to punish them unjustly. In the article he admits Goodell is a dictator, but never once questions the punishments on the coaches. Thats being a hypocrite.

First Florio and now Whitlock. Politics does make strange bedfellows.

" Vilma is suing to overturn a grossly excessive yearlong suspension for his limited and largely unproven role in the Saints bounty scandal."

I disagree with the "largely" part.

While his sentiments regarding Vilma's lawsuit are on point, it's still a typical crappy Whitlock article.

Case in point: He questions why someone would take judge, jury & executioner Goodell's word on the evidence against the players, but then he does just that in regards to Payton, Loomis, et al. When it comes to the coaches and organization, he parrots the 2012 Battlecry Of The Stupid: "buh..buh..but Payton, Loomis and Williams admitted to and apologized for having a bounty system", which anyone with the ability of analytical or critical thought would know was not really the case.

While his sentiments regarding Vilma's lawsuit are on point, it's still a typical crappy Whitlock article.

Case in point: He questions why someone would take judge, jury & executioner Goodell's word on the evidence against the players, but then he does just that in regards to Payton, Loomis, et al. When it comes to the coaches and organization, he parrots the 2012 Battlecry Of The Stupid: "buh..buh..but Payton, Loomis and Williams admitted to and apologized for having a bounty system", which anyone with the ability of analytical or critical thought would know was not really the case.

^This. While I agree with the premise of the article (support for Vilma going after Goodell), his reasoning is flawed.

On a scale of 1-10 i would give that article a 6. I agree with everything he says about Vilma, but i still dont agree with his comments about our coaches. He appears to get it when it comes to Vilma, but with the coaches, he has completely taken Goodell's bait, and he believes the coaches are 100% guilty. That is the part i dont like.

If Goodell is bad for doing what he is doing to Vilma, then what gives him the right to do it to the coaches? Just because the coaches can still coach for 15 more years after their suspensions, that still doesnt make it right to punish them unjustly. In the article he admits Goodell is a dictator, but never once questions the punishments on the coaches. Thats being a hypocrite.

Exactly. He defends Vilma by assuming the coaches are guilty and Vilma had no choice but to do their evil bidding. Vilma had no choice but to carry out the orders of his bad guy coaches. Whatev. :rolleyes:

I wonder what Whitlock would be saying if our coach was Mike Tomlin?

Unimpressed.
Nothing happened on the field.
Nobody in the press seems to have figured that out yet.

I don't think I've ever agreed with Whitlock, but I liked this:

"Goodell set himself up as the target of player animosity. His supporters might argue it's a courageous decision by a leader who is trying to implement historic change. They're wrong. It's bad business. It's the immature action of a man in love with his press clippings and intent on establishing himself as the modern-day Pete Rozelle. It's vanity, not integrity."

There are some things I don't agree with in the article. Without a union, the coaches and executives have little recourse but to appeal to the lawgiver of the NFL, certainly to no avail. I don't think they ever embraced a pay for pain/injury scheme. Whitlock needs to keep in mind that the NFL came up with the term bounty to describe what was happening. That there is zero evidence that the Saints defenders were out to hurt anyone seems to escape the minds of many of these "journalists."

Still, I love Whitlock's take on the commissioner and his motives.

Sorry Guys, I had to do a speed-read and post since I was still at work, but now that I'm home and read it more carefully I understand the bitterness for how he refers to our coaches and GM. I jumped past that part because I thought he was just rehashing old news.

I agreed with most of what he said but the reason Sean, Loomis and Vitt agreed to the confession was PRECISELY because they have another decade at least of work if they so choose. It was for this reason they accepted the punishment without proof, they will recover their careers, Vilma may not have this luxury.

Sorry Guys, I had to do a speed-read and post since I was still at work, but now that I'm home and read it more carefully I understand the bitterness for how he refers to our coaches and GM. I jumped past that part because I thought he was just rehashing old news.

Not your fault bro.. the NFL and media have done a great job of twisting words around and making it easy to miss key things that they say. Whitlock is still not on the same page as the rest of us. He appears to be trying, but he still doesnt get it.

Not your fault bro.. the NFL and media have done a great job of twisting words around and making it easy to miss key things that they say. Whitlock is still not on the same page as the rest of us. He appears to be trying, but he still doesnt get it.

I guess the point to take away is that even for those that aren't quite getting it, the public opinion tide is turning. If it's turned only for Vilma, at least that's a first step... Maybe as this thing unfolds, they'll wise up a little more and realize that the whole thing might be a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom