Javon Kinlaw DT. Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Massive frame, and strength but still an explosive player, with excellent quickness off the snap. Resets the line of scrimmage, and disrupts the pocket from the interior. He's projecting to be a disruptive 3-technique.

A lot of people are comparing him to Kansas City DT, Chris Jones because of his body type.

Top 15-20 player in this Draft class for sure. He won't be around at 24 IMO so if the Saints want him because they are unsure of Rankins' health they will most likely have to trade up to get him, he's seen as a guy that will only rise in stock.

Last edited:
He’s a beast on my version of the Saints next to Derrick Brown and Chase Young. ?

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
Similar player to Richard Seymour (Patriots), Callais Campbell (Jaguars), and Muhammad Wilkerson (Jets).

Likely to 15-20 selection for a pure 3-4 team.

Better player than Arik Armstead or Deforrest Buckner, IMO.

• 1Like
Our rotation of DT's is good enough to avoid trading up for one. We are so good with draft picks that it would stink to give up one. And, we have greater needs at other positions.

• 1Like
Even if it is not a position of need, improving the pass rush would make a bigger difference than any other of the so called position of needs. I say this because Payton can always design plays to have a good offense but when the Saints D lacks pressure on theQB they are below avg.

• 1Like
Even if it is not a position of need, improving the pass rush would make a bigger difference than any other of the so called position of needs. I say this because Payton can always design plays to have a good offense but when the Saints D lacks pressure on theQB they are below avg.
3-tech could become a position of need if the Saints lose Onyemetta in Free Agency, and of course we don't know how Rankins' will bounce back from an achilles and ankle injury in back to back years.

Regardless Drafting for need is not a sound strategy, but if the Saints somehow managed to get Kinlaw it would definitely bolster your rotation and help give pressure up the middle something that was lacking last season. Other than Rankins, there isn't another Defensive Line that fits what Kinlaw does.. which is be a disruptive gap shooter; providing immediate interior pressure.

I don't think Kinlaw makes it out of the top 15 though; there are early rumblings the Jets, Colts, Bucs are all heavily interested in him; and they all desperately need D-line help.

• 1Like
3-tech could become a position of need if the Saints lose Onyemetta in Free Agency, and of course we don't know how Rankins' will bounce back from an achilles and ankle injury in back to back years.

Regardless Drafting for need is not a sound strategy, but if the Saints somehow managed to get Kinlaw it would definitely bolster your rotation and help give pressure up the middle something that was lacking last season. Other than Rankins, there isn't another Defensive Line that fits what Kinlaw does.. which is be a disruptive gap shooter; providing immediate interior pressure.

I don't think Kinlaw makes it out of the top 15 though; there are early rumblings the Jets, Colts, Bucs are all heavily interested in him; and they all desperately need D-line help.
According to PFF Javon Hargreave would be an upgrade over Onyematta anyway.

I’d like to have:
Brown from Auburn, Kinlaw beside him and Chase you gonna the end opposite Cam. Would also like to have Yetur Gross-Matos (sp). We’d be set imo. ?
Give me Netane Muti and Tyler the center, with some Andrew Thomas thrown in.
Then grab Isaiah Thomas as backer. Okudah and Fulton at corner. Finish the D off with McKinney at safety or Delpit . Lastly grab Fromm, or Herbert at QB and let’s roll. Sadly we can’t get Burrow imo but all above should be attainable.

/sarcasm. But I’d love that team above!
And I’d love Kinlaw. I’m not sold on Rankins or our D line in general as our stud is getting old and he’s the only non injury prone we have there (knock on wood).

And yes. That was my last Madden draft the other day. ?
I got rid of all the current players I can’t stand and traded em for picks.

Oh and that was just D, well and lines.
On O I’d also like to emulate my draft on Madden:
Ruggs III. Justin Jefferson, Jonathan Taylor. Sign Noah Fant. He’s the next big thing at pass catching TE.

Last edited:
/sarcasm. But I’d love that team above!
And I’d love Kinlaw. I’m not sold on Rankins or our D line in general as our stud is getting old and he’s the only non injury prone we have there (knock on wood).

And yes. That was my last Madden draft the other day. ?
I got rid of all the current players I can’t stand and traded em for picks.
Are you referring to Rankins (25) or Cam (31) ? Rankins is only 25 years old, so definitely not old .. but you are right a common disturbing trend in his young career has been serious lower body injuries.

2016 - Rookie year missed the first 7 games with a Broken Fibula suffered in pre-season
2018 - Suffered a Torn-Achilles in the Divisional round playoffs after a career regular season
2019 - Undisclosed Ankle Injury suffered in Week 14 ended season on Injured Reserve

I am concerned about his future going forward with the team this is his 5th year option season so he will become an Unrestricted Free agent after this year, so it is crucial for him to have a bounce back season for him to shed the injury-prone label and come into a nice Second contract.

On a sidenote I always thought he was carrying around too much weight for his frame; just by look you would think he has the body type of a Linebacker, or Big Safety but just bulked up to 300 lbs. which may be why he keeps having leg/foot injuries. (I don't know I could be completely off base here and maybe he's just really un-lucky so far)

Are you referring to Rankins (25) or Cam (31) ? Rankins is only 25 years old, so definitely not old .. but you are right a common disturbing trend in his young career has been serious lower body injuries.

2016 - Rookie year missed the first 7 games with a Broken Fibula suffered in pre-season
2018 - Suffered a Torn-Achilles in the Divisional round playoffs after a career regular season
2019 - Undisclosed Ankle Injury suffered in Week 14 ended season on Injured Reserve

I am concerned about his future going forward with the team this is his 5th year option season so he will become an Unrestricted Free agent after this year, so it is crucial for him to have a bounce back season for him to shed the injury-prone label and come into a nice Second contract.

On a sidenote I always thought he was carrying around too much weight for his frame; just by look you would think he has the body type of a Linebacker, or Big Safety but just bulked up to 300 lbs. which may be why he keeps having leg/foot injuries. (I don't know I could be completely off base here and maybe he's just really un-lucky so far)

Yes sir. Rankins for health and Cam has played so many snaps, he’s incredible but I think his tread will go a little sooner as a result of his iron man status all these years.
Agreed on all of your points as well.

Also, Dav made me a believer in his skill set but sadly I think he’s bitten with the durability issues as well. Like Alex at LB. I think he’d be great but I think his next shoulder ding is it for him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom