Jazz Fest 2019 (50th Anniversary)(Update: Rolling Stones 10/13/21) (3 Viewers)

my wife will DRAG me out for Stapleton.

dangit.

FYI, if you want to see the Stones, it will cost you. And if you're in NOLA, run to the Dome.

Thursday, May 2 General Admission Tickets
Price: $185
Day-specific Thursday, May 2 tickets are required for entry.
May 2 will be a limited capacity Jazz Fest day
Tickets are expected to sell out quickly
Second weekend single-day tickets are not valid on Thursday, May 2.

SPECIAL PRESALE OPPORTUNITY FOR LOUISIANA RESIDENTS FOR MAY 2 TICKETS
A limited number of May 2 general admission tickets will be available for purchase by Louisiana Residents on Thursday, January 17 on the Plaza level of the Superdome from 10am – 6pm. Show a valid Louisiana ID at the box office and purchase up to two tickets to May 2. First come, first served. Tickets go on sale to the general public the following day (January 18) and are expected to sell out quickly.

Tickets are available at www.nojazzfest.com and www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling (800) 745-3000.

Thursday, May 2 VIP Tickets
2nd Weekend VIP tickets that include May 2 are also available.

the last big name show I went to at the Jazz fest was so crowded that I felt unsafe.

And I had to pee really bad

My guess will be 2nd Saturday going up against DMB and Pitbull to end the day.

Yeah, makes sense. Someone with a pretty good knowledge of the Fest (he’s in the lineup this year) told me the same thing.

FYI, if you want to see the Stones, it will cost you. And if you're in NOLA, run to the Dome.

Thursday, May 2 General Admission Tickets
Price: $185
Day-specific Thursday, May 2 tickets are required for entry.
May 2 will be a limited capacity Jazz Fest day
Tickets are expected to sell out quickly
Second weekend single-day tickets are not valid on Thursday, May 2.

SPECIAL PRESALE OPPORTUNITY FOR LOUISIANA RESIDENTS FOR MAY 2 TICKETS
A limited number of May 2 general admission tickets will be available for purchase by Louisiana Residents on Thursday, January 17 on the Plaza level of the Superdome from 10am – 6pm. Show a valid Louisiana ID at the box office and purchase up to two tickets to May 2. First come, first served. Tickets go on sale to the general public the following day (January 18) and are expected to sell out quickly.

Tickets are available at www.nojazzfest.com and www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling (800) 745-3000.

Thursday, May 2 VIP Tickets
2nd Weekend VIP tickets that include May 2 are also available.
So my usual plan of waiting until 3:45 the day of to buy tickets, then walk in and buffalo my way up front won't fly here?

weird thing about Fest is that it's the big names that drive up the prices, but the real value of Fest is stumbling on someone you didn't know before (often on the lagniappe stage) and really being moved by the experience

Big fan of some of the people playing, esp Bob Seger.. not a big fan of what’s happening on the 2nd Thursday.. they jacked the prices way up for The Rolling Stones, almost an additional $200 for that one day.. totally not what Jazzfest is about.. i get that they needed really big names this yr, but they have Dave Matthews and Katy Perry (if you’re into that sort of thing).. reading thru comments on nola.com someone said “This isnt Jazzfest, it’s a Stones concert barely passing as part of Jazzfest”.. i agree, the whole appeal of JF has always been paying one (relatively) reasonable price to see a ton of great bands.. that said, I’d love to go the 2nd weekend, just not the 2nd Thursday.

I predict an increase in beer prices this year. Just a hunch I had when I saw the $185 Stones ticket.

weird thing about Fest is that it's the big names that drive up the prices, but the real value of Fest is stumbling on someone you didn't know before (often on the lagniappe stage) and really being moved by the experience

Yup, I usually look forward to the line-up release to decide which days I'm NOT going, which days, acts and stages my wife will insist on seeing and, my favorite, which days I can go to the fest all by myself. It's those days that I stumble on someone I don't know much yet but end up loving.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd was one. Same with Samantha Fish. Joss Stone also who did a bluesy set and I was blown away convinced she was the next Janis Joplin -- kinda disappointed afterward there not realizing the music she put out commercially.

But my favorite was Tony Joe White. Of course, I had heard Poke Salad Annie on the radio but nothing else by him. Loved, loved, loved that show.

This is definitely not what Jazz Fest is supposed to be about. Quint Davis should be ashamed of himself. If we go this year there is no way I would pay the ridiculous amount to see the Stones. They had the Who play a few years ago without any ridiculous upcharge (and IMO they are a better band anyways). If this is the start of a trend then I will be very disappointed...

This is definitely not what Jazz Fest is supposed to be about. Quint Davis should be ashamed of himself. If we go this year there is no way I would pay the ridiculous amount to see the Stones. They had the Who play a few years ago without any ridiculous upcharge (and IMO they are a better band anyways). If this is the start of a trend then I will be very disappointed...

I doubt it is a trend. I think it’s the whole 50th anniversary thing and because the Stones wanted a “runway” style stage that stretches out into the audience, there were some safety and other concerns that prompted them to want to have a reduced headcount on ticket sales. So they came up with this “concert within a festival” idea with a separate cover charge. Yeah, $185 is pricey, that’s for sure. That’s probably about average for a Stones show these days? Not sure but I guess they figure the opportunity to see the Stones in that environment is worth the average ticket charge of a Stones tour.

Either way, I agree with that I hope it isn’t going to be a trend. I suspect (hope) it isn’t.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom