JD as a S (1 Viewer)

I agree. Much too short. I don't agree that he can't tackle. I think he hits and tackles pretty well for a guy of his size, but he isn't Safety material.

Watching the superbowl, I'm much more comfortable with David as a 2nd or 3rd CB this year despite his troubles. We have to get a decent pass rush, and alot of these problems will deminish.

Jason David is too weak to play safety. Brandon Jacobs would plow him over without even trying.

I don't see the team cutting David. As much as we don't like the guy as a player, he is cheap labor with a pretty modest contract going forward. He showed flashes of being a decent player and I think with another year in the system he would make a pretty good nickle corner and in a perfect world he would be a great dime corner. He is not an every down NFL cornerback however.

If I had to guess, I would speculate that David had to relearn his reads for the QB. In man coverage for instance you have to be able to judge real quick if the QB is taking a 3-step, a 5-step, or a 7-step drop. This usually dictates the type of pattern a WR will be running.

I don't see the team cutting David. As much as we don't like the guy as a player, he is cheap labor with a pretty modest contract going forward. He showed flashes of being a decent player and I think with another year in the system he would make a pretty good nickle corner and in a perfect world he would be a great dime corner. He is not an every down NFL cornerback however.

4yrs-16 mil and what we got in return was not exactly cheap labor.

4yrs-16 mil and what we got in return was not exactly cheap labor.

He's already been paid. His base salary this coming year is like 500,000 dollars.

He's young and can learn. Theres no reason to cut him now.

He's already been paid. His base salary this coming year is like 500,000 dollars.

He's young and can learn. Theres no reason to cut him now.

You're right....I believe the NFLPA site I linked to factors in prorated signing bonuses. His actual real money coming up is far less than $2.5 million and closer to the 500k number you say it is. That's a very good price for an NFL corner with experience.

Jason David had a terrible year this year, he kept peaking in the backfield and not staying on his assignmemts, but he still came up with 4 takeaways included one he returned for a touchdown, his aggresive nature is needed on this defense, we need more guys with his attutude, just not more guys with his lack of focus....he wasnt that bad....well he was "that" bad, but he is a Saint, and all we can do is hope he gets better, cause were not cutting him....sorry.

How did you get your name, ScoutMike? Are you a boy scout commander? Just curious. :)

It doesn't take a long look at Jason David to see why he's not safety-material.

Well, to be honest, I've coached high school baseball and basketball, and have been extremely successful at using players at positions and in circumstances that they were previously unprojected for, including some players that have moved on to play Div IA(which is pretty good since I was at a Class C school). (And yes, I do believe the same evaluating skills could apply to football). Everyone has a "prototypical" player, but a lot of times that is not reality, or at least the reality you're dealing with....

I was actually scheming up a new defense to use in Madden recently. Why not run tampa II with Bullocks and Harper playing the standard short zone/run support corner back position and put Jason David and Usama in the 10-15 yard spread wide free safety position. You get a speedy weakside linebacker with coverage skills(Ali Highsmith) to play deep MLB and 2 stout Inside LB's (Fujita/Briggs type) to play in the box. The Cb is this scheme is responsible for stopping sweeps/inside slants and wide receiver screens. The Safety is responsible for picking up the receivers once the CBs release. This requires your front 6 to be able to handle power downhill rushing but obviously we did it this year because Simoneaux was a non-factor.

This is really what pure Tampa II teams do. They draft big physical corners( aka safeties) who aren't burners or great at Man coverage (Bullocks/Harper) and have very fast but smaller safeties to squeeze the deep routes between them and the deep MLB.

Last edited:
Jason David had a terrible year this year, he kept peaking in the backfield and not staying on his assignmemts, but he still came up with 4 takeaways included one he returned for a touchdown, his aggresive nature is needed on this defense, we need more guys with his attutude, just not more guys with his lack of focus....he wasnt that bad....well he was "that" bad, but he is a Saint, and all we can do is hope he gets better, cause were not cutting him....sorry.

You know, the more I think about David's play last year, the more I become dissappointed with the lack of corrections that were made to his technique and bad tendencies. Obviously, the secondary coach played a part as David displayed the same bad habits (peeking in the backfield) throughout the season. The lack of effective coaching played a part and Payton obviously agreed by subsequently firing the secondary coach.

I don't see David as a starter, however, I am hoping that he may become a valuable contributor in nickel packages with the help of stronger coaching. Jason's strengths are his quickness and ballskills. He is a guy that may be effective in the slot in man coverage.

I was actually scheming up a new defense to use in Madden recently. Why not run tampa II with Bullocks and Harper playing the standard short zone/run support corner back position and put Jason David and Usama in the 10-15 yard spread wide free safety position. You get a speedy weakside linebacker with coverage skills(Ali Highsmith) to play deep MLB and 2 stout Inside LB's (Fujita/Briggs type) to play in the box. The Cb is this scheme is responsible for stopping sweeps/inside slants and wide receiver screens. The Safety is responsible for picking up the receivers once the CBs release. This requires your front 6 to be able to handle power downhill rushing but obviously we did it this year because Simoneaux was a non-factor.

This is really what pure Tampa II teams do. They draft big physical corners( aka safeties) who aren't burners or great at Man coverage (Bullocks/Harper) and have very fast but smaller safeties to squeeze the deep routes between them and the deep MLB.

Harper and Bullocks would be exposed at the corner position. They lack the quickness to handle receivers coming off the ball and would need much, much technique training to adjust from the safety position to cornerback. Sure a cover 2 requires different technique but the corners are still required to utilize a backpedal, quick change of direction and swerve in the hips.

Also, we need to keep in mind that what works in videogames rarely works on the field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom