Jeff Bezos accuses AMI (National Enquirer) of extortion and publishes emails to prove it (1 Viewer)

Admin #1

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Ratings
Sticky Post
This is pretty amazing:

Remember, AMI got immunity to cooperate in the Cohen investigation, but this is really not good for them.

Edit: I guess this could go on EE, but I will leave it here because it's tangentially related to the presidency in a couple of ways (Trump vs. WaPo, Cohen, Trump + Pecker, etc)

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
It would seem most likely that Trump put them up to it. He hates Bezos. Course, he hates an awful lot of people, but especially Bezos and WaPo.

Now, can it be proven? I doubt it. Trump has been skirting the law for decades. He doesn’t use emails or texts, so no communication trail. He doesn’t write anything down. Hell, Omarosa said she saw him eat a small piece of paper in the WH one time, lol.

So, who knows? But I hope Bezos keeps digging!

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Ratings
This was a desperation move by AMI.
  • They knew that Bezos had the money to do a thorough investigation and that he would spare no expense to find the truth.
  • They know what they are hiding and what trouble they could be in with SDNY if Bezos uncovered the truth.
  • They could not just sit by, do nothing and allow Bezos to release his investigation findings.
They took a calculated risk and leaned on the lawyers to try to make this seem like a negotiation rather than extortion. Their biggest problem outside of having actually committing the crime is that they have stupid lawyers. Sending this kind of threat via email was a calculated risk and it was their only play. Their only other option was to sit and wait for Bezos to uncover everything. I'm going to say a novena for Trump to be involved in this some way.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
It seems that AMI has crafted its line of response to Bezos: "this was journalism". They're setting up a First Amendment defense.

In other words, they're saying that it is within a publication's First Amendment prerogative to have a story that is negative toward a person, and then use the publication's discretion to publish or not publish the story as capital in a negotiation.

So they're doubling down, again. You can admire the audacity but I don't think that's how it works. The extortion statue says if you threaten to injure someone's reputation unless they pay you (or give you something of value), I don't see how that raises a First Amendment issue.

On Sunday, Elkan Abramowitz, an attorney for AMI chief executive David Pecker, appeared on ABC’s “This Week” to double down on the company’s assertion of innocence.

“It absolutely is not extortion and not blackmail,” Abramowitz told “This Week” host George Stephanopoulos.

Instead, Abramowitz insisted, what AMI was doing was journalism. He also suggested that it was Bezos who threatened the tabloid by insinuating its moves were somehow being directed by Saudi Arabia.

“So that’s why lawyers sit down and lawyers negotiate to try to resolve differences,” Abramowitz said of the emails Bezos published. “That’s exactly what this was.”

Stephanopoulos pressed him on that point.

“How is that journalism, though?” he asked. “If you believe the photos are newsworthy, how is it journalism to say we’re not going to publish this if you give us something we want?”

Abramowitz argued that the story of Bezos’s affair with Sanchez was already “out there.”

“Is it journalism to decide not to print a story three times?” Pecker’s lawyer said. “You can make journalistic decisions as to how many times you’re going to write the same story. That’s not the — the job of the prosecutors or anybody else to determine.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...rnalism-not-blackmail/?utm_term=.d4ca1e48064a

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
I wonder how many other celebrities and wealthy folk they've done this to before. I bet a lot care enough about their reputation that they'd pay to make it go away.

Was AMI striking with the divorce news out there, thinking Bezos would want to keep this stuff quiet.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
It seems that AMI has crafted its line of response to Bezos: "this was journalism". They're setting up a First Amendment defense.

In other words, they're saying that it is within a publication's First Amendment prerogative to have a story that is negative toward a person, and then use the publication's discretion to publish or not publish the story as capital in a negotiation.

So they're doubling down, again. You can admire the audacity but I don't think that's how it works. The extortion statue says if you threaten to injure someone's reputation unless they pay you (or give you something of value), I don't see how that raises a First Amendment issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...rnalism-not-blackmail/?utm_term=.d4ca1e48064a
I imagine they’re keeping the “I thought this was America “ meme on hand

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I really don't know what to make of all this especially now if it's true that it's Lauren Sanchez's brother who got ahold of the texts/pics (which I am leaning towards). What kind of relationship must they have that he would do this? Is SHE behind it? Is it maybe not at all clear that AMI isn't guilty of extortion? Did Bezos poke a bear? Are we going to be confronted with Bezos' junk?

Last edited:

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Ratings
I really don't know what to make of all this especially now if it's true that it's Lauren Sanchez's brother who got ahold of the texts/pics (which I am leaning towards)? What kind of relationship must they have that he would do this? Is SHE behind it? Is it maybe not at all clear that AMI isn't guilty of extortion? Did Bezos poke a bear? Are we going to be confronted with Bezos' junk?
Given everything that has taken place, I would be highly surprised if the photos ever get posted. Bezos didn't poke a bear, AMI and Pecker did. Bezos poked someone not his wife. This could turn out to be a very big deal for AMI. AMI has what is called a non-pros (prosecution) agreement with SDNY that could be in jeopardy. From what I heard from talking heads on MSNBC and CNN, AMI wouldn't even need to be convicted of a crime for SDNY to claim that they are in violation of the agreement. If that happens.....then good bye Enquirer and Pecker could possibly go to jail.

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Bezos poked someone not his wife.
My appreciation from the joint statement that Bezos and wife made is that she would rather keep their personal life between them. Now it's anything but and it's no one's business. It's going to be the subject of much speculation and NONE of it's going to be the truth because only 2 people really know what's going on in a marriage. Because of that, right now I think that AMI over-estimated how far Bezos would go to keep those things private, which may have gotten them into trouble. And Bezos? Well, I hope Lauren's junk is worth it.

Last edited:

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
At this point, the story involves:

divorce
paramours
sexting/penis pics
homosexual brothers
Trump
the Saudis
a dead journalist
scandal rags
extortion
the 1st Amendment
I would post the clip of Team America (song "America **** Yeah!) but the title on the Youtube clip would violate SR TOS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)