Jeff Duncan Interview with Jeff Ireland (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Man I didn't realize I haven't been to nola.com in a minute. They got a paywall now? Dangit. I'll just take your word for it that its a good article.
I don't think there's a paywall? I can read it just fine, at least. Regardless, here you go:

The 2022 NFL Draft was the eighth overseen by Jeff Ireland since he joined the New Orleans Saints in 2015 as the director of college scouting. In that time, he’s selected 48 players, including 20 that developed into multi-year starters and six that eventually earned Pro Bowl or All-Pro honors.

This was Ireland’s first draft with Dennis Allen as head coach. Ireland joined the Saints the same year that Allen returned to New Orleans after four years away from the organization.

Ireland, who comes from a scouting family, is widely regarded as one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL. In March, he received the inaugural BART award, which will annually recognizes the top scouts in the league.

I caught up with Ireland after the Saints’ practice on Thursday to discuss the Saints’ 2022 NFL Draft and get his thoughts on each player in the team’s five-man class. Our conversation:

Question: I'm curious, was there any difference in your first draft with Dennis Allen as head coach compared to the drafts with Sean Payton? Did anything change procedurally?

Jeff Ireland:
“No, I would say it was pretty similar. I kind of knew what I was going to see with Dennis versus Sean. You get one more offensive centric (coach), and you got one more defensive centric. Sometimes (in the past), the offensive coaches (on the staff) are a little bit quieter, and they would lean towards Sean's comments. And then with D.A. maybe the same, but really it was pretty much the same process. Very subtle differences. And that's one of the reasons we like Dennis as our head coach is we didn't have to change the process. He understands what we look for. He understands what we emphasize in terms of character and prototype and makeup and all the things that we do emphasize maybe more than other teams. He likes the same things we like, especially on defense.”

Mod Edit: Truncated to a teaser. You cannot post the entire article from a pay site. It's copyright infringement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good read, said they basically had their eye on Penning since last year (indirectly looking at another guy who was drafted by Buffalo).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom