Jeff Duncan's 10/2/09 Saints Mailbag, Part 1 (1 Viewer)

muzzy

Explosive
Reaction score
New Orleans Saints mailbag part 1, leads off with New York Jets defense
By Jeff Duncan, The Times-Picayune
October 02, 2009, 10:21AM

OK, gang, here's the first installment of this week's Saints mailbag. Remember, I do this every week so if you have any questions during the game or afterward you can always fire them off to Saintsmailbag@timespicayune.com or tweet them to me at jeffduncantp and I'll get around to answering them on Wednesdays and Fridays each week. In other words, you don't have to wait until I solicit them to send them in.

Now on to the Q&A:

Q: With the Jets expected to blitz often, and their injury issues in the defensive backfield, which wide receiver must really step up their game, Lance, Devery or Robert? Or should we expect a huge game from Jeremy or Reggie? St. Samuel, New Orleans.

A: I think Reggie Bush could be a matchup problem for the Jets in the passing game. I think the Saints will try to use him on screens and quick-hitters and hope he can create a big play with his elusiveness in the open field. I also think Lance Moore will play a key role. He's very quick in and out of his cuts and has a knack for beating tight man-to-man coverage because of his superior route running. I think Moore is another guy Brees will use to beat the pressure.

More: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/10/post_39.html

"Bush is definitely off to a slow start on returns, but he brought back three for touchdowns last year and clearly is a threat to go the distance on every kick. He's a home-run hitter back there and is willing to take a loss on a return or two in exchange for a chance at a big return. Remember, the Saints are paying Bush a lot of money to be a playmaker and they've got to utilize his skills in as many ways as possible. Harper has been injured and has been a victim of the numbers game on Sundays. The Saints usually only keep four receivers active and right now Roby is getting the call over Harper because of his ability to return kickoffs."

I'm not buying it. Does he have to run backwards or sideways on nearly every return in order to bust a big one? Every once and a while, you see a returner find daylight by doing that, but the best return men I've seen (and I'm talking about on a consistent basis) run straight up the field without hesitating and then make a move to bust it open. I'm not saying Bush can't improve as a PR, but I find Duncan's answer on this one to be canned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom