Jeff Duncan's Saints-Eagles film study: Conservative approach, Brees' brilliance pay dividends (1 Viewer)

Sure is cool to have your best blocking WR be one of the best downfield threats... opens up so much more if Payton decides to play-action and go up top. Meach and Devery are deadly.

To me, this makes a big difference. Nothing against MC, who might not beq quite fast enough to merit over the top help or LM/DH who aren't quite big enough to be really good at blocking, but Meach, like a Fitz or A.Johnson brings this wrinkle to the running game. He is nowhere near those guys in terms of receiving ability yet, but he does bring a size/speed combination that forces teams to put a CB on him and have a safety deep. That means that anywhere on the field except the redzone, teams can only put 9 in the box which makes it an even matchup (11- QB and WR). This is the best possible scenario when the defense knows you are going to run.

Agreed. I haven't been on the bash WS and CG bandwagon, but there is obviously something still missing from our D. When I look at our D line with THREE 1st rounders not getting any more pressure than they have, you gotta think that is the area underperforming.

I thought WS played one of his best games in a while. He had presure on Kolb quite a few times and even did a stunt up the middle when Hargroce collapsed the middle of the o-line and forced an IP. Hopefully that continues.

Meachem and Heath Evans are playing a lot this year, and I wonder how much those two, along with Shockey, are helping with the "instant run game" the SAINTS seem to have developed? Nicks and Evans are huge in the run game too, both literally and figuratively. ;)

Great article, Jeff Duncan's been doing a really top notch job this season (and offseason).

I think that's got a lot to do with it. One of the underrated aspects of Shockey's game is his run blocking, and he didn't do much last year due to injury. Meachem got a lot of snaps in the one WR sets last year, particularly late in the year, and Evans is a better lead blocker than Karney because he can get to the edges and to the second level faster.

Jeff Duncan is doing a great job covering this team IMO. His video logs, film study, and Q&As are real "value added."

Sure is cool to have your best blocking WR be one of the best downfield threats... opens up so much more if Payton decides to play-action and go up top. Meach and Devery are deadly.

That's exactly the way Meachem scored in week one. He was the lone WR on the field and it was a play action bullet.

The one mention here that is of most concern to me is Duncan's observation of Grant. If this continues, I do believe Williams will bench him. If he is hurt and playing that is one thing, but his production is now at the suck level for the third year in row.

I believe he was out or limited in practice today due to his hammy and he injured it in the 2nd preseason game IIRC so maybe that was his problem? :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom