Jeff Fisher vs Mike Martz the media double standard[smash mouth vs finesse] (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Has any coach gotten a bigger pass from the media then Jeff Fisher. The titans have never made the playoffs 3 years in a row[ playoffs 6 out of 15 years]. They are 5-6 in the playoffs and the main reason for there lack of success is they never really had a great passing game. Fisher didn't even open up the offence for McNair until he ran Eddie George started to lose his skills and no longer run the ball 25-30 times a game.

I know alot of Saints fans hate Martz cause of the rivalry between him and Haslett. But the guy had the greatest offence even seen and took the Rams to the playoff 4 out of 5 full years and like Fisher and was 3-4 in the playoffs. Yet he get ripped from the media for his coaching style and was bashed to death. They guy can't get a 2nd coaching job, where as guys like Dick Jauron and Norv Turner get a 3rd job after failing twice already.

Guys in the media like Tom Jackson, Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson and Merril Hoge love Fisher for his smash mouth style of football and hate Martz for his finesse style of football. And after doing that for years on national TV can effect the way the average football fan views a coach.

Jack Del Rio is smashmouth type of coach and that's why he get more of pass from the media then he would if he was a finesse type of coach

Fisher has had a winning season in 6 of 16 seasons, I'm counting this season in there as well, as I don't think they win 9 games this season.

Fisher is overrated as a coach. But that's just my opinion.

The Titans quit yesterday ... that responsibility ultimately falls on the head coach. Yes, I agree, that Fisher has been a media darling. He may be an unemployed media darling very soon, because he's lost his team. When professionals quit playing hard and quit caring, the coach is going to eventually get fired.

Jauron should be long gone. I cannot believe how he managed (mismanaged!) the last 2 minutes of the Bills game yesterday at the Jets. You thought Mora and Carl Smith were ultra-conservative? Turner is a much better offensive coordinator than head coach. The perception of Martz is that he's an offensive guru who can't coach defense. I don't think he's too well liked by his peers either, which probably means he's not going to get another HC job in the NFL.

Titans went 10-0 to start last season, had home field advantage and loss in the first round 13-10.

Fisher has had a winning season in 6 of 16 seasons, I'm counting this season in there as well, as I don't think they win 9 games this season.

The amazing thing here is if in 2006 the Saints job came between Fisher and Martz as the final 2 choices. 95% of the people here on Saints forums would have been in Fisher corner and it would have been the same on almost every team of the NFL among there fanbases due to the power of the media telling you how great Fisher is and how awful Martz is.

Jeff Fisher is the most overrated coach in the NFL.

Last edited:
I think Fisher is a good coach, and I believe it makes a lot of sense for an organization to keep continuity at the head coaching position. That said, maybe Al Davis' comment before he went senile about a head coaches shelf life diminishing after 10 years applies here. Ya never know.

Martz is not popular among his coaching peers, and Fisher can do no wrong ... that's the national media's perception. Martz did not help himself with his recent stints in Detroit and San Francisco. When Fisher gets fired, he'll likely get another HC chance. Martz is not. Fair or not, that's the deal. Don't think Fox, ESPN, NBC, CBS commentators and pundits have influence ... think again.

Martz is not popular among his coaching peers, and Fisher can do no wrong ... that's the national media's perception. Martz did not help himself with his recent stints in Detroit and San Francisco. When Fisher gets fired, he'll likely get another HC chance. Martz is not. Fair or not, that's the deal. Don't think Fox, ESPN, NBC, CBS commentators and pundits have influence ... think again.

Martz stints in Det and SF he left the offense in alot better shape then it was before he get there. The problem was that both of his head coaches were like Fisher who want to run the ball up the middle for 3 yards all day if they could and win the game 3-0 and were smash mouth guys. The Lions want 7-9 in 2007 and had the worst defence in the NFL, yet all people like Howie Long talked about it was Martz fault while giving the rest of the coaching staff a free pass.

But the media coverage of Martz makes you think that he is the worst coach of all time. Look at Jon Gruden. Tampa Bay offence was in the bottom half of the NFL almost evey year he was in there. Yet his name comes up with evey coach job thanks to him being a media favorite. Steve Marrucci failed in Detroit and yet his name still comes up all the time for head coaching jobs.

The amazing thing here is if in 2006 the Saints job came between Fisher and Martz as the final 2 choices. 95% of the people here on Saints forums would have been in Fisher corner and it would have been the same on almost every team of the NFL among there fanbases due to the power of the media telling you how great Fisher is and how awful Martz is.

Jeff Fisher is the most overrated coach in the NFL.

I would be in the 5%

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom