Jeff Ireland: Jameis “will learn more football in a year than he has in his lifetime" in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

It's like Sean has this hobby. He picks up wayward and broken QB's off the scrap heap and fixes them. He can't help it. It's in his DNA. So long as he puts a self-destruct button on the ones who get traded off to a division rival, I'm good. :)

on a related note, by mid season Tom will be pounding his helmet "think darn it, what would Bill do?"
There was a debate a few months ago when the talking heads was discussing on whether Tom would leave or not. The topic of whether their success was because of Tom or Bill Belichick. I have always thought their success was based on both of them. Bill won games without Tom before. Remember Matt Cassell. This is not to say Bill can win without Tom. But he kept Tom in check a lot of times. Bill knows how to pick his battles. He isn't going to let his quarterback throw for 300 yards every game or make one person do all the work.

With Bruce now it is going to be different. He wants to put everything on the table. Tom is going to have to adjust to that philosophy. At his age, I don't know if he is able to do that anymore. It is hard to predict how Tom will do, despite having more talent on this team than he ever had with the Pats.

It's crazy. Maybe four years ago I started thinking a lot about LAB. Life After Brees and what kind of quarterback I want.

It was around the time fans looked at every 6' QB with an average or so arm and a massive chip on his shoulder.

I got nothing against the underdog who plays beyond his physical gifts....but I'm greedy. I want the guy who wants to win no matter what AND can fling the ball 60 yards through the air with an idle gesture. Winston is pretty damn close to that.

We'll see what comes of it. Sucks royally that there will be no rookie or mini-camp at the normal time. We might not even get a season.

There was a debate a few months ago when the talking heads was discussing on whether Tom would leave or not. The topic of whether their success was because of Tom or Bill Belichick. I have always thought their success was based on both of them. Bill won games without Tom before. Remember Matt Cassell. This is not to say Bill can win without Tom. But he kept Tom in check a lot of times. Bill knows how to pick his battles. He isn't going to let his quarterback throw for 300 yards every game or make one person do all the work.

With Bruce now it is going to be different. He wants to put everything on the table. Tom is going to have to adjust to that philosophy. At his age, I don't know if he is able to do that anymore. It is hard to predict how Tom will do, despite having more talent on this team than he ever had with the Pats.

BB is a great coach. There is no doubt that Tom made it easier for him to win but he is a master at game plans so if he continues to get above average pieces he will be fine (after a likely come back to earth year or two of course). Tom was good enough to win without BB but (big but) no QB is good enough to win without a good front office and coach. TB May have “good enough” in that regard but Tom May have waited, nay likely waited, too long to go prove it.

I think Loomis has too much respect for Arians to slap him. It is simply motivation for Winston. From what that Tampa reported said yesterday, Winston is the 1st one at practice and the last one to leave. His teammates respect him greatly for his leadership.

Besides Mahomes, there's not a better arm than Winston. He doesn't like to scramble but he's a serious athlete and can buy time around the pocket and can throw bullets on the run.

So Loomis just told Winston, "Son, you can realize your dreams here in Newalins. In one year, you will learn more about being a great QB than you learned in the rest of your career because of the rare combination of the best offensive mind in football and Drew Brees teaching you."

I think Ireland is doing a few things here...

• He's giving mad props to the Saints coaches and Brees.
  • He's creating a flexible narrative for Winston so the media won't harp on the potential "bust" or "Winston was so bad that Arians went and got Brady" angles.
  • He's reminding the league and media that no matter how much talent a player has, they will not shine without the proper guidance -- and he will get proper guidance here.

Is it a slight dig at Arians, Koetter and Lovie Smith? Perhaps...

But he has to set the stage that Winston will be given every opportunity to improve and reach his potential.
Look back on how Arians handled him last year. Most of the articles were about how frustrated Arians was with him. He won't be treated like that here.

And what can Arians say, honestly? Arians bailed on Winston after a single difficult season and brought in Tom Terrific to save the day.

Figured there would be an Ireland thread over at Pewter Report. He ruffled a few feathers as you would expect. Shoe on the other fit would have us up in arms as well.

Here is the link...https://www.pewterreport.com/forums/topic/saints-asst-gm-slaps-buccs-coaching-staffs-in-the-face/page/2/

But this particular post had some juice behind it for hope that JW can settle down on the INT's. From what I can tell that is the only part of his game that needs to be fixed.

Remember when Arians was the QB whisperer and that Koetter didn’t know what he was doing? And now it’s being said again by the Saints assistant? hahahha

It took Koetter three and a half years to get through to Winston, but every coach after Koetter thinks they can easily fix Winston.

2018 Winston, Before Benching

• Games: 4
    Comp Pct: 64.9%
    Yards per game: 295.25 yds
    TDs: 6 (1.5 per game)
    INTs: 10 (2.5 per game)
    Sacks: 13 (2.5 per game)
2018 Winston, After Benching

• Games: 7
    Comp Pct: 64.3%
    Yards per game: 258.29 yds
    TDs: 13 (1.86 per game)
    INTs: 4 (0.57 per game)
    Sacks: 14 (2.00 per game)
Koetter finally made huge strides on Winston after Winston was finally benched in his whole life.

2019 Winston, with QB Whisperer “No Risk it, No Biscuit”

• Games: 16
    Comp Pct: 60.7%
    Yards per game: 319.31 yds
    TDs: 33 (2.06 per game)
    INTs: 30 (1.87 per game)
    Sacks: 47 (2.93 per game)
Going “No Risk It, No Biscuit” mentality unleashed the true Winston as opposed to the disciplined Winston that Koetter had been trying to get through to Winston’s head for the past three and a half years.

Winston already knows a lot about football. He’s got a great “board mind”, but his Winston’s proclivity is playing “hero ball on every play”. So no, Winston won’t learn a lot of football as he’s already been in the NFL for five years and has played for three different OC’s (Koetter, Monken, and Leftwich). The only thing Winston needs to learn is maturity.

Yet, seeing Winston tweets and reading reports about what he’s said reveals he still doesn’t have humility and still full of hubris. Winston cannot differentiate the difference between confidence and hubris. That’s why Winston can’t “take what the defense gives you” and “no risk it, no biscuit”.

Winston’s time here wasn’t great, but maybe getting let go and being a backup can give him scope, depth, and humility. I’m all for seeing great play in the NFL and if Winston can be a part of that in the future, then so be it. I wasn’t a Brady fan before he became a Buc, but I surely did respect and would be in awe of what he did for the Patriots organization. Same with Brees, Ryan, and sometimes Newton b/c I respect our opposition to know how we can (if we can) defend against them.

I just hope this board can stop bringing up Winston every week or twice a week. He’s no longer a Buc. He’s no longer a starter. Winston is no longer our problem. Let’s move on.

Just when I thought I couldn't love Jeff Ireland more...he comes out swinging lmao

On a serious note , considering he is the only talent evaluating GM we have in the building and he is hitting grand slams year after year, we just MAY wanna lock this guy up

Some these idiots on the site will facepalm when it doesn't even apply, we need a SSF daycare lol

If given an opportunity to play under Sean Payton for a few years, I absolutely believe Jameis Winston can win an MVP and bring this team to the Super Bowl. He's that talented. My only question is his maturity to see this through the long term.

I agree with Ireland completely. Winston has had garbage coaches, and he relies on his massive physical abilities. He works hard, everyone agrees, but has he ever learned how to work smart? To really slow down and learn the craft of the position? Brees is certainly not the best athletic specimen. But the guy knows QB inside, out, backwards, forwards. He knows every aspect of the position and how an offense works. I’m not sure anyone has ever taught Winston that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom