Jeff Ireland Tidbits (1 Viewer)

nosaints213

ad majorem dei gloriam
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Ireland on Michael Thomas pick: &quot;To hit on one, it feels good. We need to hit on some more.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a></p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/824705555944112132">January 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Although it&#39;s too early to evaluate the 2016 draft class, Ireland said he&#39;s glad the Saints&#39; rookies -- UDFAs, too -- made impact they did.</p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/824690093252288513">January 26, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Ireland, Saints assistant GM, said he thinks Stephone Anthony&#39;s best football is still ahead of him.</p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/824687773126950912">January 26, 2017</a></blockquote>

Saints assistant GM Jeff Ireland: Stephone Anthony's best football is ahead of him | NOLA.com
"We still believe in Stephone, and I think he's going to have a great year next year," Ireland said Thursday before Senior Bowl practices at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

"It's a shame that he got injured there at the end of the year because I thought he was going to really come on," Ireland said. "That one game he (started), I thought he played outstanding, so his best football's ahead of him. So, I'm looking forward to seeing him develop into the player that we thought back in '15."

Ireland on this year's Rookie class:

"It takes a couple of years," Ireland said. "We're glad that all of them were able to get on the field, all of them were able to participate."

"It goes to the effort that we put into this job," Ireland said. "We scout thousands of players, and to whittle it down. ... trim the fat to get down to a good number that we're interested in. ... to hit on one, it feels good. We need to hit on some more."

"You know, I think we had five college free agents that made our team, which I think was the tops in the league, that actually went and contributed. We're proud of that, too. That's a part of our process and philosophy and structure, is to find these free agents and expand our draft when we only have five picks."
Saints encouraged by early production from 2016 draft class | Saints | theadvocate.com

Ireland was the first real acquisition that really started to turn us around. We had two solid drafts. We just need to keep drafting good and the talent won't be hold down by bad luck, or terrible officiating.

Really great article by Underhill:

"I think that's one of the reasons I'm here &#8212; Sean and I see things very similar," Ireland said. "We were kind of trained the same way. We've been through some drafts together. He's seen how I operate, and the things that I'm looking for, and that certainly matches what Sean is looking for as well."

"It's an accumulation of a lot of different philosophies and mixing and matching," Ireland said. "There's a prototype aspect to our putting the board together and certainly a character influence that Bill impressed upon me that you got to get good players in the locker room. There's certainly some of that influence."

"When you take a step backward into this role, it's really intensified my focus," Ireland said. "It's more of a tunnel vision. ... Mickey and Sean and I have talked about this is where we have to get better, if time goes on maybe we'll expand our roles or whatever that may be, but right now my focus is completely on that, and I feel like I'm good at that. And when you focus on one thing you can really knock it out of the park."
Jeff Ireland's draft and scouting philosophies have been influenced by many people, including Bill Parcells | Saints | theadvocate.com

I have to say we've added some good pieces to this roster over the past few years. We've really been held down hard by the dead money and as that starts to disappear and we become players in FA, we should be in great shape.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom