Jeff Sessions had two undisclosed conversation with Russians during the campaign (1 Viewer)

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be considered perjury...?

Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’s confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...488420884362&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.7472b1b15fc1

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
It probably deserves it's own thread. Also can we just restart the election again with different candidates?

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
[ R
Saw it was mentioned in another thread. Can a mod delete this? I'm currently on Tapatalk.
I think this is worthy of its own thread for sure. Sessions will 100% have to recuse himself from an investigation into Russia contacts now. This is going to be a very big deal.

At least we know Trump's break from angry tweets about fake news will end within the next 9 hours or so and the "pivot" will be over...

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
me before this thread
:Self?
:Yes
:Is there anyway for Jeff Sessions to be even more loathsome?
:doubt it - he's about as low as you can get

me after reading the thread
;Self...about your earlier question...

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
I'm sure there's an innocent explanation. Jeff probably just wanted advice on how to violate the civil rights of minority groups.

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If this is true, not only he needs to recuse himself but he needs to resign and charges need to be brought.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
The video of the lie is pretty clear. What I don't know is if he was placed under oath before speaking to the committee which would turn a simple lie into perjury.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/837130467488976897

Edit: He was sworn in. It's perjury.
At the very least... if Flynn had to go, then why on Earth would Sessions get to stay on?
The only thing I can remotely think of is he did it as Senator and not as part of the Trump team. So I don't know but I would lean towards he needs to go.

jonseth23

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
All these ties to Russia are starting to make me think the Trump administration has ties to Russia. Weird.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
I'm sure there's an innocent explanation. Jeff probably just wanted advice on how to violate the civil rights of minority groups.
He could always ask himself "what would Robert Byrd do?" and go with that.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing I can remotely think of is he did it as Senator and not as part of the Trump team. So I don't know but I would lean towards he needs to go.
He could have said something about not talking to the Russians about the campaign but doing it as he would with other national representatives in his role as chairman of the Senate Armed Forces committee (which is what his statement in response to this said.) Instead, when asked the question, he identified himself as someone considered to be a "surrogate" of the campaign and then immediately said "I did not have communications with the Russians." I don't think he would be convicted for perjury in a court of law but it's pretty damn obvious. I'm not sure that video is even the only time he denied or avoided the question in those hearings.

OP
Grandadmiral

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Sessions has to go. This looks bad no matter how you spin it.
Not if the Repubs don't call for it. So far, the most that's been said by the GOP is Graham calling for a special prosecutor. It's a damn shame really.

Reaction score
He could have said something about not talking to the Russians about the campaign but doing it as he would with other national representatives in his role as chairman of the Senate Armed Forces committee (which is what his statement in response to this said.) Instead, when asked the question, he identified himself as someone considered to be a "surrogate" of the campaign and then immediately said "I did not have communications with the Russians." I don't think he would be convicted for perjury in a court of law but it's pretty damn obvious. I'm not sure that video is even the only time he denied or avoided the question in those hearings.
He was also asked in a written questionnaire if he had any contact with Russians. His answer was simply "no". So he either forgot about meeting the Russian ambassador a few months earlier in September of 2016 or he willfully lied.

Let's assume he forgot. Then he is clearly unfit to hold any government office with those kind of memory lapses and should resign. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. Consider:

• I think if he thought people knew about his meeting with the Russian ambassador, then he would have admitted to it but explained it away as doing so as a senator and not a Trump advisor. That's what he's saying now. This to me implies that he felt his meeting with the ambassador was a secret. We know that he kept the meeting off the record. Why? If he met with the ambassador in a senatorial capacity, why keep it off the record?
  • Now he's saying that he met with the Russian ambassador as a senator. So, he's burned the "I forgot" defense. Why? The only reason I can think of is because he's concerned that information could surface that would clearly prove he was in full remembrance of the meeting before, during and after his confirmation hearing. Otherwise, the Flynn defense of "I forgot" would have been the way to go.
It seems to me that the intelligence community has a lot of damning evidence connecting several Trump advisors and appointees to Russians operatives. I think they've been sitting on it as a way of sussing out who is innocent and who is guilty of colluding with Russians toward Russian interests. Just a theory on my part, but the controlled and sustained release of information seems to be calculated and strategic.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom