Jefferson Parish Schools PULLING ALL PERMITS! (2 Viewers)

>>Choose to view it how ever you want but if Orleans is going the route of choice than great because that is the way it should be.

They have many competing schools among the charters, state run, etc. Because there are vast areas of the city without much population, it doesn't make sense for them to have district schools at this point. But what makes sense in the aftermath of what Katrina did to Orleans doesn't necessarily compute with what's going on in far less affected areas.

>>Aren't these districts just going to make the problem worse? Isn't this rigid enforcement going to bring the ACLU down again when the impoverished areas have lousy schools?

Well if you look at (some of) Metairie, Kenner, Harahan, Jefferson, River Ridge, etc., you have a similar checkerboard demographic profile that we always had in Orleans. For instance, my kids (pre-advance schools) were in the Metairie Grammar district. That drew K-5th from both Old Metairie and the Shrewsbury. Neighborhoods couldn't be more radically different.

>>If I have a gifted child, why shouldn't I be able to send that child to the school that can provide a program more suitable for the child.

Well that's kind of bunk. If you kid is gifted or accelerated (sp?), there are alternatives for primary school, middle school and high school. Some academics argue against dilution of talent, but if your kid is gifted, there are gifted programs. If they are academically accelerated (sp?), there are alternative schools on both the east and west bank to accomodate them.

TPS

>>>>If I have a gifted child, why shouldn't I be able to send that child to the school that can provide a program more suitable for the child.

Well that's kind of bunk. If you kid is gifted or accelerated (sp?), there are alternatives for primary school, middle school and high school. Some academics argue against dilution of talent, but if your kid is gifted, there are gifted programs. If they are academically accelerated (sp?), there are alternative schools on both the east and west bank to accomodate them.
TPS

That is the whole gist of this argument. The policy being shoved down people's throats by the JPSB would eliminate the ability of a parent to send their child to one of the alternative schools you mentioned. This discussion centers on the right of the parent to place their child in an appropriate school based on the need and talent of the student. The proposal by JPSB essentially puts a halt to choice. The public school you send your child to would be based on neighborhood, not ability or need.

The discussion here concerns permits within a parish/county, where property taxes are assessed. We are not talking about moving children outside their parish/county/state.

I agree (Fountainbleu is in Mandeville, Covington and Mandeville are both in St Tammany Parish).

I still don't get it I guess. When I lived in Old Metairie, I went to Elle Delhonde. When we moved to the Clearview area, I went to Phoebe Hearst. I thought that's how school districts worked. I don't think people in Lakeview or Uptown would want inner city kids just deciding to go to school in their district, but maybe I'm completely misunderstanding.

Last edited:
While I agree saintfan, there has always been a disparity between schools. If you live in an area where the district is bad, move, or send them to private school. If you can't afford it, talk to the private schools to see if a payment plan or some type of arrangement can be made.

If you are so concerned about your child's education, if he is in a bad school, then I would think you would do whatever it takes to get them into a good district or a better school, even if it means moving out of the state.

The concept is sound, the reality is another matter. If I lived in the inner city, I may not have the income, transportation or job allowing me to move. Those with the options you mentioned tend to have a higher income. We have to realize that socio-economic issues may preclude the options you mentioned.

I still don't get it I guess. When I lived in Old Metairie, I went to Elle Delhonde. When we moved to the Clearview area, I went to Phoebe Hearst. I thought that's how school districts worked. I don't think people in Lakeview or Uptown would want inner city kids just deciding to go to school in their district, but maybe I'm completely misunderstanding.

VChip, you aren't completely misunderstanding, just partially.

--In Louisiana, ALL public school systems are done on a PARISH basis ( Orleans Parish, St. Tammany Parish, Jefferson Parish, etc.) None are based on city limits, etc. (Thus, there is no "Kenner School System", no "Mandeville School System", etc.), though in ohter states, this is often done (Texas has some examples, that come to mind, for instance).

-- In a perfect world, we would probably follow the "neighborhood school" example with districts being limited as you mentioned, and what is more or less being proposed in Jeff Parish. Less travel time to school, closeness to home etc. BUT, what actually happens due to settlement patterns (where people live) is that all the well-to-do (often, white) kids tend to wind up living in one area, while the poorer, minority kids wind lving up in another area, and as such wind up in different schools for their entire time in the system.

-- Academic standards and funding within the district notwithstanding, such a RACIALLY unbalanced system is NOT allowed under Federal law, as it is a form of de facto segregation (as opposed to the de jure segregation which was originally fought against). Schools were then "socially engineered" so that each school's population, as close as possible, represented the racial balance of the system as a whole. As an example, if the entire system was 60/40 white and black, each district had to be drawn, or some other mechanism used, so that each school's population was reasonably close to that 60/40 split. This is how BUSING came into play.

-- As an example, in the seventies, there was NO WAY that any "neighborhood district" drawn for my high school (Grace King) or elementary School (East End, now Marie Riviere) would ever get any black kids, much less a proportion roughly equal to the school system's proportion of black kids systemwide. Thus, if you looked at district maps from that time (as I have done) you'd see little "busing districts" for these schools at the other end of the East Bank of the Parish. Nearly all of the black kids that went to Grace King in the early eighties, for example, came from an area of South Kenner and Bunche Village, far far away from Grace King High.

-- When those Uptown and Lakeview kids you mentioned started to have to go to school with black kids-- sometimes in a 50/50 mix setting-- that's when the parents tooks their white kids out of the school system IN DROVES and that's when the Orleans Parish School System became over 95% minority students.

... I'm not going to get into this whole discussion about permits, and charter schools, and magnet schools, and gifted/special needs. Although I am a product of the public schools, my kids are not in them, and over time I have come to realize the whole system of public school education in this COUNTRY is a mess and a joke. You get what you pay for.

Just give me a tax credit for private tuition, the same amount that's being taken out of my taxes and going towards public education (or the amount that would be spent on my child if they were partaking of public education), and I'd be fine with that.

>>Just give me a tax credit for private tuition, the same amount that's being taken out of my taxes and going towards public education (or the amount that would be spent on my child if they were partaking of public education), and I'd be fine with that.

I disagree. That's a choice you made. Assuming your school of choice happens to be parochial, there's no reason to subsidize churches IMHO. My kids go to pretty good public schools. We could afford to send them to private, but why do it when you don't have to? :shrug:

TPS

>>Just give me a tax credit for private tuition, the same amount that's being taken out of my taxes and going towards public education (or the amount that would be spent on my child if they were partaking of public education), and I'd be fine with that.

I disagree. That's a choice you made. Assuming your school of choice happens to be parochial, there's no reason to subsidize churches IMHO. My kids go to pretty good public schools. We could afford to send them to private, but why do it when you don't have to? :shrug:

TPS

I am going to agree with B-Rich on this one to a certain extent. The district system is useless the way it stands now. If the money for the child was given to the school he went to than it would be much more efficient. Meaning the parents would have their choice of PUBLIC schools to send their kids in any district. Technically a parent could drop their kid off in Ascension and live in Jefferson if I had my way.
Bussing could be provided within the actual district to the "schools" in your district. Parents would have to take children to a different school if they wanted them to be there.

But most importantly the funding goes with the kid to whatever PUBLIC school he goes to, this promotes competition and accountability.

>>If the money for the child was given to the school he went to than it would be much more efficient. Meaning the parents would have their choice of PUBLIC schools to send their kids in any district

He said that his kids were in private school (which is presumably why you agree to an extent). But then they'd just double the price of schools anyway. If they give you $3,500 to go to a Catholic School, they'd up the tuition to $7k or whatever. That's kind of similar to what happens with rent subsidies which creates an artificial inflation of rents.

TPS

>>If the money for the child was given to the school he went to than it would be much more efficient. Meaning the parents would have their choice of PUBLIC schools to send their kids in any district

He said that his kids were in private school (which is presumably why you agree to an extent). But then they'd just double the price of schools anyway. If they give you $3,500 to go to a Catholic School, they'd up the tuition to $7k or whatever. That's kind of similar to what happens with rent subsidies which creates an artificial inflation of rents.

TPS

As per the norm I was not 100% clear.

I definitly don't think people who send their children to private schools should get a tax credit.

However I think any public school in the state should be game if the parents get their kids there. The public funding would go with the child to the public school that the parents bring them to. If parents brought kids out of their districts, those districts would lose money. I think the competition (sp) this would create would do a great deal for suffering districts.
Unfortunately public school funding is not necessarily based on the child unless the child has special needs from what I know so far. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I want the same bussing to district schools if parents choose to send their children to a district school.

I was under the impression that is how the NO recovery district is doing now.

Yeah, that's what's going on in Orleans. And I don't have a problem with absolute choice because that means more freedom for people. But the way they do it in Jefferson Parish (which is apparently afoul of past federal edicts) is unfair if you get your kid in a different school because you have connections. Again, JMO

TPS

Thank you Mrs. SBTB. Apparently Metairie and Haynes both score 10 out of 10. If you run across the actual scores per school, let me know. I could only find them by district.

TPS

Here are Haynes test scores http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/la/597#from..Tab
http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/la/597#leap

They scored very well on both tests.

Here is Metairie

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/la/613
http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/la/613#leap

Slightly lower than Haynes.

Thank you Mrs. By the Bay.

HardCard,

>>And, regardless of your viewpoint on the MAFAS, my daughters attend a JP school with testing averages in far excess of the ones achieved by the selected few at MAFAS.

Do you have the test results to back up your claim now that we've got access to the scores?

TPS

does anyone know if this ever actually happened??? the permits being pulled

we are moving soon and i want to be able to keep my son in the school he is in now

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom