Jefferson Parish Schools PULLING ALL PERMITS! (1 Viewer)

>>That's what my parents did. Me = McMain (when it was good) both sisters = Ben Franklin with full rides to college of choice (LSU for them). My parents pulled it off with no tuition, even for college, by having good genes. :hihi:

Nice. You no doubt went to the MACK with my exwife. She hung out with Cheri, Teal, Nathan and the few other white kids who were there. :hihi:

TPS

I didn't think we let the likes of you into Old Metairie. Because clearly the best public education available (thank you Julie Quinn) to public school students in Jefferson Parish will be found at Metairie Academy for Advanced Studies.

sorry brah....i don't mean to offend.....:hihi:

he's not in a magnet or advanced type school yet.....he is still in pre-k....but he's pretty sharp and i'd like to get him into something like that when he is ready.....

I am not overly impressed with the 'Metairie Academy For Advanced Studies" considering how many 'slots' at the school are simply filled by "Who you know" in the school system, rather than what your child in capable of.

And, regardless of your viewpoint on the MAFAS, my daughters attend a JP school with testing averages in far excess of the ones achieved by the selected few at MAFAS.

They can 'say' whatever they want.. But the writing on the wall is that JP is trying to ship all of the children in Orleans back to their respective school districts without getting sued for discrimination. Thats the basic jist of whats going on at this point..

Trust me, I have spoken to multiple reporters in the area this morning.. Most didn't know anything about this situation, a reporter with the picayune knew 'all about it' and added more to the information I received this morning.. Including the fact that these 'plans' are literally being made in a "Closed Door Executive Enviroment" and will not be made public until their lawyers finish drafting the "Order".. Additionally, It looks as though the "Order" will be released to the public within the next 10 days (probably next wednesday at the board meeting, or perhaps sooner since I'm stirring the pot with the media) ..

Apparently the Board must vote and approve this and 'enact' it by april of this year, or it must be sidelined until the 09-10 school year.

And again, this "Order" is apparently in response to de-segregation orders delivered in the 1960's.. Good god, took them 40 years to get this thing done?

It's simple politics at this point, I'm sure.. At the same time, there are SO MANY children on permits in Jefferson Parish for some many different reasons, that if they pass these measures.. It would likely grossly effect the outcome of the board elections, when they come around.

>>I am not overly impressed with the 'Metairie Academy For Advanced Studies" considering how many 'slots' at the school are simply filled by "Who you know" in the school system, rather than what your child in capable of.

Well we lived in the district, so we were there before it was cool to be there. But my daughter learned heiroglypics in 4th Grade. You can't possibly top that. As for test scores:

Rosalind Mathes, director of innovative programs and schools for Jefferson Parish public schools, said many of the applicants have standardized test scores at or above the 90th percentile, far surpassing the required 75th percentile that officials say students must have to be considered...

Got a link to the table of scores? :shrug:

TPS

I am dealing with this right now. My son attends a horribbly poor Metairie school and I cannot get him out of it unless I put him in private school. It's become a safety issue for my son and they will not issue a permit or place him in another school. I have called the school, the school board, the superintendant and no one will help me. They also told me they are putting permits on hold all together b/c they are rezoning the districts. I can't place him in private school right now b/c it is too late in the year and they only do registration at particular times. My son would be going to the same school since we only live a coupler blocks from the school. It's so frustrating.

>>I am not overly impressed with the 'Metairie Academy For Advanced Studies" considering how many 'slots' at the school are simply filled by "Who you know" in the school system, rather than what your child in capable of.

Well we lived in the district, so we were there before it was cool to be there. But my daughter learned heiroglypics in 4th Grade. You can't possibly top that. As for test scores:

Rosalind Mathes, director of innovative programs and schools for Jefferson Parish public schools, said many of the applicants have standardized test scores at or above the 90th percentile, far surpassing the required 75th percentile that officials say students must have to be considered...

Got a link to the table of scores? :shrug:

TPS

My wife and I researched test scores prior to decided where to send our girls.. However, having said that.. I'm not going to side-track the thread with a school comparison, thats not the issue here..

Maybe we can debate that in another thread, I hope you understand.

I don't actually care, I just wanted to see the scores. I tried to search but the best I could get was 2003 Iowa tests and I know those are dated.

TPS

Thank you Mrs. SBTB. Apparently Metairie and Haynes both score 10 out of 10. If you run across the actual scores per school, let me know. I could only find them by district.

TPS

as a bump to this thread.. I have a LOT more information regarding this..

Not only are they pulling all permits, but they are re-districting the ENTIRE SCHOOL SYSTEM... so, basically. if you live in EJ's district this year.. next year, you may live in Bonnabel's district, or King, etc, etc.. and you will no choice, but to attend the school in your given district..

TEACHERS will also be UNCONDITIONALLY reassigned to new schools.. In other words.. They move to the new school they have been reassigned to, or they leave the school system.. Their choice..

This information comes STRAIGHT from school boards members via email, so it's fact.... This is going to tick-off more people than just we 'permit parents'

and Basically, if the school board doesn't approve this.. they have been threatened that they'll will be sued and will have to do it anyway... so they basically have no choice but to approve it..

Yeah... that sounds EXACTLY like equal rights for all.

Last edited:
Seig Heil, JPSB. Nice freedom of choice you have for your children. So, they readily and graciously accept your tax dollars but you cannot choose where your child attends school. Nice, Where is the teacher's union in all of this?

More information. The school board will have a meeting at Bonneville HS (I believe, may be Grace King) on Tuesday (Feb 19) at 3:00 for a parents advisory meeting. Of course, they have not yet announced this, and at 3:00 parents are either working or picking up their children. I don't know if they are planning on any meetings on the West Bank. HARDCARD has more information on the meeting.

They will then a have general school board meeting the next day. While they may technically meet the letter of the law by announcing a meeting at the last minute, the intent of the law is being circumvented. The decision has already been made, the JPSB's lawyers have already provided their input, and the parents, if given an opportunity to speak, will not be heard.

The news media has not been informed of the impending decision, the public is yet to be advised, and the public meeting is not even on the JPSB web site. The only way the media has been informed is because of a leak in which some concerned parents have made it an issue to inform the public. The school board has gone so far as to threaten teachers with termination if they discuss the issue or express their views.

While my daughters are long out of school, my grandchildren are in school. I despise the sneaky manner in which elected officials manipulate the system without sufficient input from the public, or even the pretense of listening. One parent has even said that we should not blindside the schoolboard by making this an issue yet. It seems to me that the school board is blindsiding the public.

Last edited:
This is indeed an unfortunate development. I am a Bonnabel grad ('93) who lived in Riverdale's district but was permitted to BHS. Bonnabel, at the time, had an outstanding special ed program. If I had not gone there I would have been enrolled in a private high school, undoubtedly. I'm not surprised the JP School Board would try something this regressive - many of their long-term plans to eliminate low-performing schools are ludicrous! - but this plan would only reduce school scores by encouraging enrollment in the private/parochial systems.

The School Board is just too deep in the pants of Diane Roussel. The members have ceased to be intelligent beings, and now just pass as pocket lint. For heaven's sake, her Message From the Superintendent states: "We need to understand and act on this understanding, too." I thought I was reading Trotsky. Or George W. Bush.

It is obviously Richard Angelico time. And if the plan passes, I gather it will be Bill Capo time ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom