Jefferson Parish Schools PULLING ALL PERMITS! (1 Viewer)

>>Yeah... that sounds EXACTLY like equal rights for all.

What are you talking about? Is not the most reprensentative sample of equal rights - I'm talking both school districts and congressional districts - to just start in a corner and start drawing a square or radius or something until you get to the point where you have a 1/whatevereth portion and then go onto the next one? It's quite the opposite from forced busing and kind of a novel idea. You go to the school district you live in or you move to somewhere else. If your kid(s) happen to be intelligent, gifted or special needs oriented, then they have different opportunities. My only kid in the JP school system (6th) has Haynes Advanced through 12th Grade. I win?

TPS

If your kid(s) happen to be intelligent, gifted or special needs oriented, then they have different opportunities.

Not exactly, at least not in Ascension. I don't know about jefferson parish but I thought all schools had to follow NCLB.

As long as the "basic needs" are met than the district takes precedence. Even if the facilities of a different district are more suitable. (talking special needs here) That is my understanding. The maze of rules and regulations concerning "No child left behind" and how it affects the districts are a ***** to navigate.

You go to the school district you live in or you move to somewhere else.

Hard to argue with this if school districts are used. I would much prefer that schools compete and federal money for school goes with the child to whatever school he is in.

The fact that any school system is considered or viewed as less than another is the first problem that should be addressed.

The fact that any school system is considered or viewed as less than another is the first problem that should be addressed.

You're right. All school systems should provide equal education and obtain equal results. A great idea, if not somewhat naive and pollyannish. It's like the No Child Left Behind Act that fails to take into account the differences in people based on socio-economic issues, inherent intelligence, parental involvement, student interest, and a myriad of other factors that differentiate the educational standards within a community.

Parents should want to provide the greatest educational opportunity for their children, and if the neighborhood school fails to provide the best educational environment for the student's needs, then why shouldn't the parent have the right to move their child to a district more suited to the child's abilities, without having to resort to paying outrageous tuition costs for a private school? Not all parents have the economic latitude to afford private tuition.

Schools are different, people are difference. We will never be the same or equal. Parents should not have the freedom of choice denied them without appropriate due process.

Based on an email I received from someone in the media.. Whom spoke directly , and candidly , with a school board member (I know both names here, I am intentionalyl witholding them).. Under this plan, as much as 70-80% of the current work force/staff in the JPPSS with be moved, and/or reassigned to new schools.

This is crazy, no matter how you slice it.

I'm confused... isn't that what you're supposed to do for public schools -- go to the school whose district you live in? I mean if you live in Covington you're not just allowed to go to school at Fountainbleu. Am I missing something?

I'm confused... isn't that what you're supposed to do for public schools -- go to the school whose district you live in? I mean if you live in Covington you're not just allowed to go to school at Fountainbleu. Am I missing something?

The discussion here concerns permits within a parish/county, where property taxes are assessed. We are not talking about moving children outside their parish/county/state.

>>Parents should want to provide the greatest educational opportunity for their children, and if the neighborhood school fails to provide the best educational environment for the student's needs, then why shouldn't the parent have the right to move their child to a district more suited to the child's abilities, without having to resort to paying outrageous tuition costs for a private school?

Because that's the glossed over presentation of "there are too many black kids at my kid's school." I realize you probably don't have school aged kids anymore, but that's kind of the bottom line. It would be nice to see some alternatives, but eventually a district-based system with real and fair lines should be implimented. Then there is no busing of white kids to the hood, kids from the hood to the palacial estates and such. Whatever comprises that district is what it gets. That should help promote understanding and more parental, civic and neighborhood involvement in those schools.

Interestingly, it's exactly the opposite of what is going on in Orleans Parish where you can pick and choose whatever school you want to go to in the Recovery District. That could also work but probably not in Jefferson.

TPS

Perhaps this plan IS the right thing to do.. BUT , this is the type of plan that needs to be executed in phases, over YEARS not a simple switch over the summer.. it's going to create mass chaos for the students as well as for both administrators and teachers.

Because that's the glossed over presentation of "there are too many black kids at my kid's school." I realize you probably don't have school aged kids anymore, but that's kind of the bottom line. It would be nice to see some alternatives, but eventually a district-based system with real and fair lines should be implimented. Then there is no busing of white kids to the hood, kids from the hood to the palacial estates and such. Whatever comprises that district is what it gets. That should help promote understanding and more parental, civic and neighborhood involvement in those schools.

Interestingly, it's exactly the opposite of what is going on in Orleans Parish where you can pick and choose whatever school you want to go to in the Recovery District. That could also work but probably not in Jefferson.

TPS

Choose to view it how ever you want but if Orleans is going the route of choice than great because that is the way it should be.

Aren't these districts just going to make the problem worse? Isn't this rigid enforcement going to bring the ACLU down again when the impoverished areas have lousy schools?

Because that's the glossed over presentation of "there are too many black kids at my kid's school."
TPS

I am not talking about the color composition (demographics) of a school. I am talking about choice. If a school district cannot provide programs at each school comparative to other schools, then children should be able to go to where they can receive a better education. Some schools cannot provide gifted classes daily, or even periodically. If I have a gifted child, why shouldn't I be able to send that child to the school that can provide a program more suitable for the child.

Schools are not the same, and the level of education varies accordingly. I fear we are attempting to place all children into a pre-conceived mold, while neglecting the individualism of each child. There will always be differences, and to stick our collective heads in the sand will only result in a decline in the performance of the children, which BTW is already well on its way to happening.

Last edited:
While I agree saintfan, there has always been a disparity between schools. If you live in an area where the district is bad, move, or send them to private school. If you can't afford it, talk to the private schools to see if a payment plan or some type of arrangement can be made.

If you are so concerned about your child's education, if he is in a bad school, then I would think you would do whatever it takes to get them into a good district or a better school, even if it means moving out of the state.

While I agree saintfan, there has always been a disparity between schools. If you live in an area where the district is bad, move, or send them to private school. If you can't afford it, talk to the private schools to see if a payment plan or some type of arrangement can be made.

If you are so concerned about your child's education, if he is in a bad school, then I would think you would do whatever it takes to get them into a good district or a better school, even if it means moving out of the state.

Easier said than done on the moving aspect. I don't see why people should have to move to get their kid a good education. If a parent is willing to bring their kid to a better learning environment and the government doesn't have to pick up the transportation tab than go for it.

My wife and I researched test scores prior to decided where to send our girls.. However, having said that.. I'm not going to side-track the thread with a school comparison, thats not the issue here..

Maybe we can debate that in another thread, I hope you understand.

mban122l.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom