Jenkins = NFL ready from day 1... (1 Viewer)

Let's not forget some of his great special teams plays last year. He's stripped the ball before or made impact plays.

I guess I just disagree. Our defense seems a lot faster with Jenkins in there at FS. My only complaint with Jenkins, and it's a small one, is his tackling. He isn't a hitter or striker and just tries to pull people down. But his ability in coverage at FS and his ability to play CB make him special.

I think Sharper makes the defense better when both he and Jenkins are in there and Sharper is only in there on obvious passing downs.

Greer played much better yesterday and Porter is a pure coverage CB (one of the best in the league at that though) who will never be great at tackling or run support. Robinson shows amazing talent but he just needs to be more technical and gain more experience, but when he uses his brain, he's darn good. Even Torrence has shown solid ability in dime. I believe we have the best CB group in the league.

I love Harper's run stopping ability but he is a liability when covering anyone with quickness.

My point is that Jenkins may be our defense's MVP and is special. Sharper is a ball hawk that is nice to have in there when offenses have to pass, but seems to be limited in most other areas at this point in his career. That's just my opinion.

Oh, and I didn't even mention how well Young has played this year when called upon.

Hard to argue with most of what you posted here. :scratch:

:gosaints:

I'll tell you one thing....if MJ keeps making plays like that, his fellow defensive teammates will start playing with that same swagger and trust they have in Sharper.

Jenkins is a good player and he had a critical play...but lets be honest our secondary looked pedestrian without Sharper....
The fanbois see the one good play and fail to see all the missed plays. We need Sharper back, BADLY.

The fanbois see the one good play and fail to see all the missed plays. We need Sharper back, BADLY.

No we don't need him back badly. We do have the #6 ranked D and we're 8-3. They've been managing just fine without him IMO.

The truth is.... In the NFL, you can't have too many healthy DB's. I sure dont want to see Osama young coming in to play safety against a passing team with three quarters left in a game because of an injury. I'd much rather see sharper or Jenkins come off the bench ....Or if a coner goes down, Jenkins moves to coner and in comes sharper. No body would blink an eye.

Greer played much better yesterday and Porter is a pure coverage CB (one of the best in the league at that though) who will never be great at tackling or run support. Robinson shows amazing talent but he just needs to be more technical and gain more experience, but when he uses his brain, he's darn good. Even Torrence has shown solid ability in dime. I believe we have the best CB group in the league.

Tracey and Jabari are actually great in run support - much better than a lot give them credit for. They are man coverage guys yet come in and support the run exceptionally well, even better than a lot of prototypical zone guys. You see them give up yards sometimes bringing someone down because they are still going for the ball. I remember a slow motion replay from the Dallas game (forget which, sorry) where porter's first hand went for the ball, he held on to the guy's hip, then his second hand came flying through the back in a fist. He missed punching the ball out by inches. But ultimately he had 2 hands on the cowboy and got him down. Sure he gave up an extra 3 yards, but that's how he's being told to tackle - go for the ball then get the guy down. I'm happy with that philosophy.

The truth is.... In the NFL, you can't have too many healthy DB's. I sure dont want to see Osama young coming in to play safety against a passing team with three quarters left in a game because of an injury. I'd much rather see sharper or Jenkins come off the bench ....Or if a coner goes down, Jenkins moves to coner and in comes sharper. No body would blink an eye.

Well, the FBI might.

"What a conversion!!!" "And they're saying the ball came out...."

I hate Joe Buck and Troy Aikman with a passion.

Did Gregg Williams really say Malcolm Jenkins is the best player we have on defense? I'm just curious if that's really quoted or if Aikman made it up?

There was a quote that GW considers him the best player on defense. If true that is high enough praise for me.

Tracey and Jabari are actually great in run support - much better than a lot give them credit for. They are man coverage guys yet come in and support the run exceptionally well, even better than a lot of prototypical zone guys. You see them give up yards sometimes bringing someone down because they are still going for the ball. I remember a slow motion replay from the Dallas game (forget which, sorry) where porter's first hand went for the ball, he held on to the guy's hip, then his second hand came flying through the back in a fist. He missed punching the ball out by inches. But ultimately he had 2 hands on the cowboy and got him down. Sure he gave up an extra 3 yards, but that's how he's being told to tackle - go for the ball then get the guy down. I'm happy with that philosophy.

You are absolutely correct about the tackling abilities of our starting corners. I believe Greer is actually the best player on our defense right now with Vilma a close second. Jabari is exceptional at run support when you consider his size. We are truly blessed with the players we have in our secondary. Jenkins will only improve with time and I truly believe will be a special player. Despite our record, this is the most talented team in ever fielded by the Saints or NFC South.

You are absolutely correct about the tackling abilities of our starting corners. I believe Greer is actually the best player on our defense right now with Vilma a close second. Jabari is exceptional at run support when you consider his size. We are truly blessed with the players we have in our secondary. Jenkins will only improve with time and I truly believe will be a special player. Despite our record, this is the most talented team in ever fielded by the Saints or NFC South.

Really?

I think Greer, Jenkins, Ellis, Ayodele and Smith have all played at a higher level than Vilma this year. You could make the arguement, in limited snaps, Clark has been our most impressive Lber thus far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom