Jenkins saves day (season?) for Saints By Pat Yasinskas (1 Viewer)

justdave

Hung out to dry
Reaction score
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Maybe it was one of the goat horns that suddenly was sprouting out of Malcolm Jenkins' helmet that caused perhaps the biggest play of the season for the New Orleans Saints.

The cornerback, who had been beaten badly, somehow chased down Dallas Cowboys receiver Roy E. Williams and popped the ball loose deep in Saints' territory. Just moments earlier, it seemed the Saints were about to let a shot at a repeat of the NFC South title and the Super Bowl championship fade away.

"It could have been a catastrophe,'' Jenkins said.

That's no exaggeration. Jenkins' play helped the Saints defeat the Cowboys, 30-27, in a bizarre Thanksgiving game at Cowboys Stadium. Jenkins chased Williams knowing he had to make more than a tackle. He needed something close to a miracle.

After all, Jenkins was a big part of the reason why Williams was running free downfield and the Saints were about to blow a game that seemed so winnable early on.

With Dallas leading 27-23, Williams caught a slant pass from Jon Kitna. Jenkins said he took a bad angle in coverage and a cornerback slipped. That left Williams running free down the middle of the field with three minutes remaining. If Williams scored, the Saints would need two possessions to have a chance. Even if he didn't score, the Cowboys might have been able to run out the clock or, at worst, kick a field goal.

"If I just tackled him there, the game is over,'' said Jenkins, a second-year pro who made the transition to safety after playing cornerback as a rookie.

With Williams running free, cornerback Tracy Porter was the only New Orleans player downfield and Williams had a lot of room to beat him. As Williams got near Porter, he tried to wrap the ball up. Jenkins was in pursuit from the blindside.

At the New Orleans 11-yard line, Jenkins caught up to Williams and somehow popped the ball free.

"It kind of fell right into my stomach,'' Jenkins said. "All I can say about that is God is good.''

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/15730/jenkins-saves-day-maybe-season-for-saints

I've read the ESPN article, watched their highlights, NFL.com's highlights, and now this.

Why is everyone tying to frame this game as some miracle victory for us? We DOMINATED Dallas the entire game, and if not for two huge turnovers and one BLATANT missed holding call on Whitten, Dallas isn't even in it. We let our big lead slip so we tightened up, played Saints D, then marched it down the field for the win in front of their fans. Now lets move onto next week.

Jenkins was a great pick. He is learning from both Sharper and GW. I don't think he will be an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu. And acutually I'm glad that he isn't as they tend to over play. Jenkins plays perfectly for what GW wants to do. Jenkins is the man, give him some love

Remember when Jenkins was drafted and people worried that he wasn't fast enough? I think we can stop worrying about that.

I've read the ESPN article, watched their highlights, NFL.com's highlights, and now this.

Why is everyone tying to frame this game as some miracle victory for us? We DOMINATED Dallas the entire game, and if not for two huge turnovers and one BLATANT missed holding call on Whitten, Dallas isn't even in it. We let our big lead slip so we tightened up, played Saints D, then marched it down the field for the win in front of their fans. Now lets move onto next week.

Sensationalistic journalism sells.....:rolleyes:

I usually like Pat's take, but, like you, I think he missed a little in the tone of his article.

While I agree with you in many ways, if Malcolm does't make that play we're facing an "L" and talking about how we beat ourselves and let it slip away. Not a miracle, but a game saving play.

I agree with the BAD Whitten call. Why are people not talking about that more

The media wanted so bad for the "Girls to win this game that they can barely bring themselves to even mention our name. At least Yasinkas shows a little journalistic integrity.

While I agree with you in many ways, if Malcolm does't make that play we're facing an "L" and talking about how we beat ourselves and let it slip away. Not a miracle, but a game saving play.

There are "ifs" on both sides of the ball. We made plenty of mistakes out there also; all affecting the outcome of the game.

Wow. That's a pretty terrible piece of journalism. I usually like Simple Pat, but outlandish statements like this make the article ridiculous:

An embarrassing loss after the Saints led by as much as 20-3 in the first half might have had implications beyond the weekend. It would have put the Saints two games behind the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC South race and started a downward spiral for a team that's been inconsistent all season.

Not only is he blowing it way out of proportion, he says that one play would have definitively lost us the NFC South and would have sent us on a downward spiral (presumably killing our playoff chances). Last I checked, we still could have scored and recovered an onside kick. I'm not saying we can count on it, but it isn't exactly impossible. It happens all the time. Even if we do drop the game, we'd be 7-4. I definitely feel like we have the talent to win the rest of our games, but even losing one more, it's still very likely we make it to the playoffs at 11-5.

Didn't Tracy force roy williams to tuck the ball in his left arm and then Jenkins did his thing? God I love this DEFENSE.

Wow. That's a pretty terrible piece of journalism. I usually like Simple Pat, but outlandish statements like this make the article ridiculous:

Not only is he blowing it way out of proportion, he says that one play would have definitively lost us the NFC South and would have sent us on a downward spiral (presumably killing our playoff chances). Last I checked, we still could have scored and recovered an onside kick. I'm not saying we can count on it, but it isn't exactly impossible. It happens all the time. Even if we do drop the game, we'd be 7-4. I definitely feel like we have the talent to win the rest of our games, but even losing one more, it's still very likely we make it to the playoffs at 11-5.

Was thinking the same thing. Normally Pat Y is ok, but this is absurd. As quoted, even if we lost it means nothing. Obviously a win is better than a loss but its not like we were the 3 and 7 girls or vikings... again ridiculous article and premise.

Also, whose to say we lose if jenkins doesn't get the strip? We hold them to a FG, Brees again scores the TD, and we win in OT... its not THAT farfetched.

Shame on you Pat Y. Inconsistent? Hmmm the last time I checked,
the Saints 4 game winning streak is tied for the best in the league.

Didn't Tracy force roy williams to tuck the ball in his left arm and then Jenkins did his thing? God I love this DEFENSE.

Williams only saw Porter. He switched arms to protect the ball from him and he never saw Jenkins. He made an amazing play on the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom