Jeopardy (1 Viewer)

Pupil, honestly it kind of helps if most teachers have a larger-than-average intelligent levels, especially if you're talking about higher-level primary schools, academies that place a high priority on achievement in math and sciences, even more so if you're talking about becoming a tenured professor or just teaching as an adjunct as a public university. Maybe it's not realistic to expect teachers to be bottomless pits of information on everything, but it's not unrealistic to expect most of them to know at least modicum of information on most topics then just their subject area. High school teachers obviously in most public school systems have different criteria or expectations, but as one old high school teacher told me "To inspire others to learn above their paygrade, it helps to make sure your students know that you know a lot about the subjects you teach them." Even back in the mid-90s in the still sort of pre-digital age of computers, Internet, most students sort of know on a gut level if their teachers are just going through the motions, that some of them probably will end up knowing more about the topics by the end of semester then the teacher they have no respect for them. They don't take them seriously and their hardly inspired. Believe me, if you have a wide array of knowledge on large number of issues, it impresses a lot more people and gets their attention than some assume it does. Even if you're not exactly great relaying that information at first as an instructor. Students at most levels can detect a phony very quickly and honestly I remember some HS classes where some students knew infinitely more then their professors, especially in IT classes or liberal arts courses where your average student's IQ levels tends to be bit higher.

Pupil, honestly it kind of helps if most teachers have a larger-than-average intelligent levels, especially if you're talking about higher-level primary schools, academies that place a high priority on achievement in math and sciences, even more so if you're talking about becoming a tenured professor or just teaching as an adjunct as a public university. Maybe it's not realistic to expect teachers to be bottomless pits of information on everything, but it's not unrealistic to expect most of them to know at least modicum of information on most topics then just their subject area. High school teachers obviously in most public school systems have different criteria or expectations, but as one old high school teacher told me "To inspire others to learn above their paygrade, it helps to make sure your students know that you know a lot about the subjects you teach them." Even back in the mid-90s in the still sort of pre-digital age of computers, Internet, most students sort of know on a gut level if their teachers are just going through the motions, that some of them probably will end up knowing more about the topics by the end of semester then the teacher they have no respect for them. They don't take them seriously and their hardly inspired. Believe me, if you have a wide array of knowledge on large number of issues, it impresses a lot more people and gets their attention than some assume it does. Even if you're not exactly great relaying that information at first as an instructor. Students at most levels can detect a phony very quickly and honestly I remember some HS classes where some students knew infinitely more then their professors, especially in IT classes or liberal arts courses where your average student's IQ levels tends to be bit higher.

Something smells fishy to me. There is no way James makes that kind of low ball wager, especially if he knows the answer. Sure, he can surmise the other contestant knows the answer two, but even with that presumption he should've wagered for the win - in case she somehow screws up the answer.

Honestly, something doesn't smell right to me here.

Something smells fishy to me. There is no way James makes that kind of low ball wager, especially if he knows the answer. Sure, he can surmise the other contestant knows the answer two, but even with that presumption he should've wagered for the win - in case she somehow screws up the answer.

Agreed. I find it awfully convenient that he finished just shy of the overall winnings record.

Even if he goes all in, he would not have won.

As he said himself afterward-
“I knew I could only win if Emma missed Final Jeopardy, as there was no way she wouldn’t bet to cover my all-in bet,” Holzhauer told The Action Network. “So my only concern was getting overtaken by third place, and I bet just enough to make sure of locking him out. Betting big would have looked good for the cameras, but now I turn my straight bet (Emma misses) into a parlay (Emma misses and I get it right).”

As I watched, it became clear that he was in trouble. He just wasn’t able to get his buzzer going. Emma was beating him at his own game and the 3rd place guy was getting some decent action. Jamie was beaten before final jeopardy.

Last edited:
Even if he goes all in, he would not have won.

As he said himself afterward-

As I watched, it became clear that he was in trouble. He just wasn’t his buzzer going. Emma was beating him at his own game and the 3rd place guy was getting some decent action. Jamie was beaten before final jeopardy.

I agree he wasn't on the buzzer like she was, but he was still within the kill zone if she had gotten it wrong. A 1300 wager? Out of character. Way out of character. His explanation of the numbers makes perfect sense though. The other players were in the game for taking the more valuable answers first while seeking out the Double's. Even with that, James was still in the hunt right up until she revealed her answer on Final.

You could be forgiven for thinking that Holzhauer’s exit—a whimper and not a bang—was the result of a bad bet. In reality, though, he got boxed in. Take it from a member of the Jeopardy! subreddit commentariat, u/KiernanProud: “James knew that Emma was going to bet enough money where if he had bet everything, she would still beat him by a dollar. The highest James could’ve earned, if he had bet his entire total, was $46,800, and she won with $46,801.” As a result, our resident math whiz did the best he could, wagering to win if Emma bet big and both he and she got it wrong. Neither did, both correctly identifying Christopher Marlowe as the author whose premature death was referenced by William Shakespeare in “As You Like It.”

James' "Daily Double" luck ran out yesterday. In the first round, he got the daily double on the 1st clue, limiting his bet to $1000. He missed getting either of the late two daily doubles to Emma who got them both. She wagered big (true daily double) on the 1st to overtake James. She wagered conservatively on the second to pad her lead.

Emma and the other guy (Jay) were both equally fast on the buzzer as James and were able to keep James' total down. The questions were fairly easy and of all the questions only one was missed. The one they missed, I knew (seriously, I did). It was about an Iowa cigarette paternal State tax.

When James went to high five Emma at the end, she was ready to shake hands, leading to an awkward sequence. His final jeopardy wager was the correct wager, imho.

Yeah i think the problem James had yesterday going into Final Jeopardy, and why he wagered so low, is that he was behind by a couple thousand dollars.. I’ve watched quite a few of his episodes , and i dont think he was ever behind going into FJ(?) Matter of fact, he was usually *ahead* by tens of thousands of dollars.. i think what happened yesterday was a combination of him facing two formidable opponents, and also him having an off-day by his standards.

As expected. She’s already lost.

This only adds to my skepticism of the whole situation. He was THAT close to breaking the record and lost to someone who gets taken out almost immediately? I don't buy it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom