Jerod Mayo moving up on Rivers Fast!!! (1 Viewer)

willbill

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I saw where Mel Kiper now has Jerod Mayo listed ahead of Kieth Rivers and a Possible Top 15 pick. Thats a hugh jump in his stock. Would you guys be upset if we went Mayo at#10 instead of Rivers?? Assuming we went with LBer in the first. I don't know alot about Mayo just what I have read. Is Kiper Talking out his butt or does Mayo really deserve that lofty of a status.

No, he doesn't. Only in these circles (Kiper, Detillier, Mayock, etc...) do players climb that far on draft boards. Teams are smarter than that. They not only go by the numbers at the combine, but by game film. No player will move from a early to mid round 2nd pick to a top 10 pick in a month. Won't happen.

No, he doesn't. Only in these circles (Kiper, Detillier, Mayock, etc...) do players climb that far on draft boards. Teams are smarter than that. They not only go by the numbers at the combine, but by game film. No player will move from a early to mid round 2nd pick to a top 10 pick in a month. Won't happen.

Yet every year there is an eye poping, head scratching pick in the top 15-20 that makes you go "WHAT THE".

These draft "experts" are plain idiots.

Nothing has happened in the last 1-2 months that would justify players rising that rapidly. Most of the pro days happened at least a month ago. The combine was a couple months ago.

These guys just want to stay relevant.

Again, it's the draft "flavor of the week" that I've been complaining about since the combine.

Look at Mayo's numbers and you'll see that River's numbers don't compare.
Their measurable's are nearly identical.

Kiper's been hyping up Mayo for a few weeks now. He always picks out his hot guys and talks them into the first part of Round 1. That way when they go late Round 1 or early Round 2, he can talk about the steal that team is getting.

I've said it before on these boards that if the rumored trade with the Eagles is available (to move from 10 to 19 and pick up Lito Sheppard), I jump all over it and grab Mayo with the 19th pick.

Funny thing is you're a Rebel fan and you don't remember Willis doing that just one year ago.........:hihi:

Before the combine last year, every mock had Willis going anywhere from 30-45, after the combine and his Pro Day he shot up to top 10-15.

I don't know about that. At the senior bowl, the 49ers fell in love with Willis. His biggest knock was that he didn't get much national attention playing at Ole Miss. Anyone who watched the SEC for the past few years knew that Willis was a stud.

P-Willie?

Coach O has a lot to do with the Saints seeming preferece for Rivers over any other linebacker.

All things being equal, I suspect the Saints will still take Rivers, if that was the option.

and eballa1 is right... The 49ers staff got to coach the Senior Bowl last year and that's when they decided to take Willis.

I really think teams prop up rising players to these draft experts in the hopes that some team that likes said rising prospect will pick them earlier, allowing another player to possibly fall to them..

Jerod Mayo is the best LB in the draft, IMO. But is he more suited for MLB or OLB?

If teams were really that smart do you think Miami would have taken Ted Ginn in the first round last year? As was said above, you claim that teams are smarter than that, yet there inevitably ends up being at least one or two total out-of-nowhere head scratcher picks in the first round. I don't think teams are necessarily any smarter than draft gurus per se, due to the fact that drafting is such an inexact science.

And I'm sure Miami looked at hours of game film on Ted Ginn too hehe.

I've said it before on these boards that if the rumored trade with the Eagles is available (to move from 10 to 19 and pick up Lito Sheppard), I jump all over it and grab Laws with the 19th pick.

Fixed it fer ya.

IMO, I think Laws would be a great pickup, especially at #19. There will be many LBs in the 2nd.

If teams were really that smart do you think Miami would have taken Ted Ginn in the first round last year? As was said above, you claim that teams are smarter than that, yet there inevitably ends up being at least one or two total out-of-nowhere head scratcher picks in the first round. I don't think teams are necessarily any smarter than draft gurus per se, due to the fact that drafting is such an inexact science.

And I'm sure Miami looked at hours of game film on Ted Ginn too hehe.

Miami was also 1-15 last year and did a complete clean-out of the regime responsible for that.

In Miami's defense, they were looking for the next Devin Hester, and after watching Ginn run back the KO in the BCS game for a TD, thought he was they guy. If he is or not remains to be seen, although he did have some nice run-backs last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom